Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Dungeon Lords Q&A at GameZone

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Dungeon Lords; Heuristic Park Inc.

<a href=http://www.gamezone.com>GameZone</a> has given <b>DW Bradley</b> an <a href=http://www.gamezone.com/news/07_02_04_12_18PM.htm>opportunity</a> to tell the world once again that <a href=http://www.heuristicpark.com>Dungeon Lords</a> is a super cool and totally innovative RPG. I certainly can't think of any other RT game that uses both players reflexes and characters abilities. He better copyright that real time technology before everybody starts making these novelty RT games.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><b>Dungeon Lords is said to combine RPG elements with FPS. Are we to understand that you derive the RPG from the setting and character customization and interaction with the world, but that this is built on a FPS model? Or have you managed to twist that even further beyond that simple summation of the game style?</b>
<br>
<br>
<b>D.W. Bradley:</b> Dungeon Lords is a full-fledged RPG that is combined with a unique blend of real-time Fighting Game combat and FPS style controls. The idea is to keep all the depth of an RPG but feature combat that is all action-packed – the key difference between Dungeon Lords and other RPGs is that our combat is all live, every instant of gameplay employing a combination of the real-time reflexes and strategic decisions of the player with the skills and abilities they have developed and acquired for their character hero throughout the game. The nice thing about working on RPGs for so long, is that it allows me to do this without sacrificing any depth to the underlying RPG elements, such as the fully detailed customized personal character hero development system that covers a wide range of stats, skills, and class specializations, a powerful inventory system that features hundreds of various weapons and armors, and a revolutionary new magic system.</blockquote>So, he can give us both real time arcade combat AND inventory and magic systems? Wow, this guy is good!
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Voss

Erudite
Races: ...<standard fantasy> , *Demigoth*, ... assorted furries.

Demigoth? I have this mental image of a midget goth chick with a high squeeky voice, talking about pain, death and kneecaping enemies.

Any bets on whether missile weapons will be either non-existant or completely useless?

mr. lamat

Liturgist
the demigoth races gives you choice over how much body hair your utterly generic character will have... a little, a lot or a lot on a smaller frame. now that, my pretties, is CHOICE! can't wait to breakout the +5 hairspray of missle deflection!

i'm also looking forward to the wasd based real-time combat with loads of hotkeys... i've always wanted to find a use for the extra fingers.

Anonymous

Whats that dude got about ALWAYS putting furries into his games?

Voss

Erudite
Isn't it obvious to you?
Some people just have this dream about fucking their dogs and raising a litter of human/dog hybrids that will breed at an accelerated rate. Then they can train them as an army and take over the world!
Or they will just be as one with nature or some shit.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yup, I don't get furry types in fantasy games. Jeff Vogel does this as well, though. Avernums have cat people and lizard people. Even Everquest has furries. Morrowind also.

mr. lamat

Liturgist
i think laguinn is one of those weird cat ladies... and at some point, all the fantasy authors wanted to get in her pants.

slim pickins.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Let's play Furtopia my furry little animal friends. We are in dire need of a group yiff if we wish to retain and to stay true to our furry identities.

Sammael

Liturgist
Time to repost this one:

geeks.gif

Voss

Erudite
Nice, but not enough cross-pollination.

And it completely leaves out the war between Trek fans and Dr. Who fans.

Not to mention the fucking star wars fans.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Don't forget these:

Star Wars Fans

Star Wars Fans who've read all of the novels.

Star Wars fans who come dressed as Darth Vader and Darth Malak to movie premieres and consider Jedi to be a viable religion, and model their cars after Han Solo's Millennium Falcon.

There's also the Tron fans who dress up in powersuits.

Mad Max fans who come dressed as raiders at GenCon, or as Mad Max, and read every bit of post-apocalyptic fiction they can get their hands on.

People who dress up as their favorite anime characters from video games or movies. Sometimes erotically (I have seen videos).

The Babylon 5 Fans.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
I love that geek heirarchy chart.

I like having furry races in CRPGs because critters tend to be cuter than stupid ol' dwarves. I like cats, so why not give a cat a sword in Wizardry and let it beat the crap out of things? It's no stranger than creating a demi-human character... gives the characters more variety. It's also a very quick shorthand for designers who are no good at coming up with unique racial cultures. Everybody has an idea about the personality of a cat, dog, rat, whatever, so the furry-race designer just lets those ideas do all the work for them. Yeah, it's lazy, but so are elves.

I don't get the sexy-furry people, but there are a lot of things I don't get about many fringe cultures. And is it really all that fringe? Men have enjoyed looking at women dressed up in animal plumage for centures. Is Hugh Hefner a furry? Or anybody who goes to a Vegas show? Why, when we feed our children a steady diet of Disney critters, are people shocked when those kids grow up and start drawing naked Disney critters?

I dunno, I guess when people who like to play axe-wielding dwarves or guys in spandex with ray-guns start talking about how "gay" people who like to play halberd-wielding dogs are, I just get amused.

'Course, then there's those people who actually think they're dragons. That's when it starts to get weird. :lol:

Is it possible to be an anti-furry where instead of spreading the love of zoophilia you enjoy running around and beating cats to death with dead cats?

Greenskin13

Erudite
Uhhh... I think it's more effective if you were to beat furries to death with dead furries. Poor cats never asked to be eroticized, you know.

Anonymous

stupid ol' dwarves.

Coming from someone with Elf in their name, PAH.

Dwarves are the l33t of the l33t when it comes to fantasy races, gnomes too.

Furries in games usually piss me off, lizardmen have some lee-way, but it depends on how they are. If they focus on the being a humanoid lizard part, it's lame. If they focus on DUDES WHO KILL STUFF AND TOTALLY RIP PEOPLES HEADS OFF WITH SHARP FANGS AND ARE ALL BAD ASS AND STUFF, then it's cool.

But even then, they feel akward being in games. Fantasy races and ideas mostly stem from mythology and I know mythology has dudes turning into animals sometimes, but I dont recall any furry-like animal-people as a permanent thing (and usually the people turning into animals it was suppost to signifity the animal's traits and not OMG HAWT BEAR SEX). Closest thing to it is probably the Egyptian gods, but again, goes back to my point.

So to put it better, we need less furry-loving fantasy weirdos who wear sweatshirts of airsprayed wolves and dragons making games.

Greenskin13 said:
Uhhh... I think it's more effective if you were to beat furries to death with dead furries. Poor cats never asked to be eroticized, you know.

I'd wager they would if they could talk. Which is why they must all be killed in interesting and increasingly violent ways.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
LlamaGod said:
Furries in games usually piss me off, lizardmen have some lee-way, but it depends on how they are. If they focus on the being a humanoid lizard part, it's lame. If they focus on DUDES WHO KILL STUFF AND TOTALLY RIP PEOPLES HEADS OFF WITH SHARP FANGS AND ARE ALL BAD ASS AND STUFF, then it's cool.

Yup, I personally put all furry type fantasy critters strictly in the THINGS THAT MUST BE EXTERMINATED column. Let's face it, if they aren't humanesque, they must be monsters. Monsters must be delt with in fantasy settings or else the humanesque races are doomed.

DamnElfGirl

Liturgist
LlamaGod said:
So to put it better, we need less furry-loving fantasy weirdos who wear sweatshirts of airsprayed wolves and dragons making games.

Eh, I'm live and let live about that crowd, but I'll agree that the super-cutesy furry stuff isn't my style. (Yeah, I said cat-people are cuter than dwarves, but I mean that in a "prefer them aesthetically since I have to stare at them for 60+ hours" way, not an "ooh, they're pink and snoogly" way) I prefer furry races if they're more bestial than human and have non-human cultures. Beastmen are certainly a part of many mythologies, they just don't traditionally act like junior high schoolers in heat. I have yet to encounter a CRPG in which the furry races act like furries in amateur internet "fic", so I don't have a problem with 'em.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom