Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Putting the 'ROLE' back in RPG...

Xanfire

Novice
Hi, I'm new here but not to the world of RPG. I recently read some of the threads on these forums and reading the "Putting the 'role' back in RPG" motto has me confused because most of the posts and reviews seem to contradict that fact. My most recently read thread, "Changed your mind about TES4?" pretty much convinced me as I saw seasoned posters make some retarded comments and replies. It was as if you were expecting the developers to give the whole package of "RPG". That's absolutely insane to expect from a single developer, and if that were the case no one would ever like a game! It's very simple, they only deliver the GAME, wether you find the ROLE PLAYING or not is comepletely up to you because it is a very subjective matter. They are called RPG's because they present a world which is easier than most games to start role playing in, however that does not mean those games are RPG's, they are just games, the RP part is up to you only. That being said, it is therefore possible to role play in ANY GAME! You name it; Counter-Strike, Oblivion and even NFS: MW. You can role play in those games no doubt about it. If you have a hard time playing a role in something that doesn't provide everything you deem necessary than I'm sorry to say but you are a very poor role player.

To even further shock you, D&D is not a role playing game. It's just a game, being good at it or playing it all the time does not make you a good role player. Your ability to compromise, innovate, create, imagine, believe and percieve will determine how good you are at that, not how much D&D you play. So if you think you know what it means to role play because you played D&D from the beginning please reconsider, because that only means you are good at playing the game not the role playing aspect.

What is roleplaying?

Is it being able to wear "The boots of escaping" or knowing all the rules of D&D inside out?
No, just simply no. Roleplaying is a relative term, and acknowledging that basis means that anyone is capable of roleplaying no matter who they are. Actors are professional role players, if picked from the masses they know how to do it best. Role playing is the ability to act in someone or something else's boots and do it accordingly not to your own beliefs, morals and etc, but on that of whom or what you are roleplaying.

Example:

I'm playing D&D and I'm playing a Paladin. You can't play the Paladin on the basis of what you think a Paladin is, that would be wrong, that's playing under your own perception, you must read and understand how a Paladin sees the world to be able to role play as one, and those descriptions would be generally written down by the person who created the world that the Paladin lives in, so basically you have to play the part of a Paladin on how the creator of the game wants the Paladin to be. Therefore you cannot go flaming or ciritisizing another creator whos Paladin is not similiar to that of another one. "Paladin" is just a word nothing else, the meaning of it can be anything the creator wishes, and it does not mean it has to stick to rules or previous concepts. So if you are playing a new game and it has the class Paladin in it don't automatically assume you know what it is, read the class descriptions and so on, not the name.

Now to the subject of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It is completely reasonable to say that this game provides the most complete set of tools to role play alone.

Graphics: This game is just simply amazing. To those who claim that it sucks or is substandrd - shut up, right now! As far as I am aware there is not a game of this kind of visual calibre out there. This game is so beautiful the only thing that reminds you that you are playing a game is the low texture mountains in the background, without those you would completely lose yourself. For those complaining about the grass fading in and out you can change that in your .ini file. You can change many options there including the water and so on. So if you have the mosnter rig to run everything to the max, even those in the .ini file do it and it will look even more beautiful.

Animation: Better than anything else out.

Sound: Perfect, just damn perfect.

Story: It's whatever you want it to be, and that's what makes the game the best for a person who whishes to role play! Sure there is the main quest, but you can just leave it and do whatever you want. You can be a theif, a noble warrior or even an evil magician. Basically the sky is the limit here. The open endedness in the game provides the best environment in which to roleplay and coupled with the unparallelled graphics and sound quality this game delivers more than any other game the environment in to which you can role play whatever your heart desires! You can even create your own class, pick your abilities and attributes!

If you are still complaining about Radiant AI just ask someone in the near vicinity to kick you in the crotch. It's not perfect, but it makes the game all the more believable. I'd rather have RAI than not. So don't critisize it but instead praise it.

So once again before I stop typing; YOU DECIDE WETHER YOU ROLE PLAY OR NOT. THE DEVELOPERS RESPONSIBILITY IS TO ONLY DELIVER THE GAME!

kris

Arcane
As I be having no time for a long reply or even reading your whole post I suggest you play Arcanum.

Zomg

Arbiter
Exquisite satire, or simian? YOU... MAKE... THE CALL!

Twinfalls

Erudite
Oh my.

The TES forum has become a giant mutant swirling Hydra-cloud-vortex, flinging dumbfuck spawn by the dozen towards the Codex.

We canna take no more Jim!

This one seems just too earnest to be an alt....

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
YOU DECIDE WETHER YOU ROLE PLAY OR NOT. THE DEVELOPERS RESPONSIBILITY IS TO ONLY DELIVER THE GAME!

Yeah, I mean, come on guys use your imagination. I was playing Tetris earlier and I was thinking, "You know, this is a really cool game, but if I visit my imagination station it can be an RPG just like Halo!! I am Claudius, the Tetrino Management Engineer..."

Xanfire

Novice
Oh my.

The Codex forum has become an ignorant blob, flinging dumbfuck replies by the dozen towards anyone who doesn't agree with them.

Honestly that was just a dumb reply, why do you automatically assume I am from the TES forums? Last time I visited that place was to read a FAQ back in January! I found the Codex forums a while ago.

I'm not posting this on behalf of the Oblivion fanboys. I'm posting because you people seem to have a twisted way of looking at things, ciritisizing anything that's not from 1985. From my impression on reading the Oblivion bashing posts I see you guys as elitist jerks with ridiculously high standards that can't be met.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
You know, if your experience of RPGs is limited to Morrowind, Oblivion, and probably a little Neverwinter Nights on the side, I can understand how you might think we have impossible standards. After all, we like deep character systems, meaningful choices, well-crafted NPCs, more to resolving conflicts than combat, coherent dialogue, a combat system with depth...
Oblivion has none of those.

Jason

chasing a bee
Did you expect everyone to fall on their knees and thank you for showing them the error of their ways? Do you know how many retards have tried to teach the Codex a lesson? A troll post gets troll responses on just about any forum, not just one full of elitist jerks.

kris

Arcane
Xanfire said:
I'm not posting this on behalf of the Oblivion fanboys. I'm posting because you people seem to have a twisted way of looking at things, ciritisizing anything that's not from 1985. From my impression on reading the Oblivion bashing posts I see you guys as elitist jerks with ridiculously high standards that can't be met.

We critisize all games for their flaws and praise them for their good parts, regardless of year they came from. Thank you and goodbye.

Xanfire

Novice
kingcomrade said:
You know, if your experience of RPGs is limited to Morrowind, Oblivion, and probably a little Neverwinter Nights on the side, I can understand how you might think we have impossible standards. After all, we like deep character systems, meaningful choices, well-crafted NPCs, more to resolving conflicts than combat, coherent dialogue, a combat system with depth...
Oblivion has none of those.

Then make your own fucking game if you think it's easy! Don't go critisizing things which you have never played before, or things that don't deserve critisizm. Those things have a time and place, and so early in Oblivions release people have opinions about story endings character depth and so on.

You just go and pick up the game and play it. You don't know what you are missing. It took me over one hour to create my character to my liking. Why? Because of the crazy amount of options you have. Oblivion has a VERY deep character system. You can creat your own class, choose your abilities, your weaknensess and strengths and your attributes!

You want meaningful choices? Sure you know I'll just go on ahead and create a world where everything is subetely and randomly connected to the actions of one person playing the game. Meaningful choices only exist in reality my friend, you can't mimic that in a game.

The game has wellcrafted NPC's. All of them are voiced, no two NPC's look the same from faces to clothing. Their personailty towards you is based on what the NPC believes, if you are a vampire and the NPC hates vampires... well. Heck I was chopping my way through a dungeon and to my amazement I found an NPC that was doing the exactly same thing, thank God I am a faster looter!

The game offers all those things more than any other game (invcuding your other options such as deep combat). Combat is very tactical now, not onlt hack and slash. IF you don't think your tactics and just rush in a head you'll find yourself reloading a lot of times.

I have very broad selection of RPG's to play from. I'd hardly call it narrow...

kris

Arcane
Xanfire said:
Then make your own fucking game if you think it's easy! Don't go critisizing things which you have never played before, or things that don't deserve critisizm.

None said it was easy, but like I said, play Arcanum if you don't think these things can be done. A game that reacts on your character, not one where you pretend to be something, which I seriously don't need a game for.

Xanfire said:
Their personailty towards you is based on what the NPC believes, if you are a vampire and the NPC hates vampires...

good it have 'something', more like this and it is on the right way. altough I heard about all to many things that go contrary to mechanics like this.

Xanfire

Novice
baby arm said:
Did you expect everyone to fall on their knees and thank you for showing them the error of their ways? Do you know how many retards have tried to teach the Codex a lesson? A troll post gets troll responses on just about any forum, not just one full of elitist jerks.

I'm not trying to teach you or enlighten you, I'm sharing my opinion with you. If you don't like it fine. But this is not a troll post. I'm being earnest here, I do see an error on how you critisize games. I'm not telling you that you can't critisize, only in the manner that it is being done - which in my opinion is hardly fair and justufied.

Xanfire

Novice
kris said:
Xanfire said:
Then make your own fucking game if you think it's easy! Don't go critisizing things which you have never played before, or things that don't deserve critisizm.

None said it was easy, but like I said, play Arcanum if you don't think these things can be done. A game that reacts on your character, not one where you pretend to be something, which I seriously don't need a game for.

Once again I have played Arcanum, a lot. I have played Oblivion too. Comparing the two makes Arcanum pale in comparison.

kris

Arcane
Xanfire said:
kris said:
Xanfire said:

Once again I have played Arcanum, a lot. I have played Oblivion too. Comparing the two makes Arcanum pale in comparison.

your taste is then not my cup of tea.

denizsi

Arcane
Then make your own fucking game if you think it's easy!

Ahahaha!That's one of the lamest and most pointless counter-arguements ever, which is a quite popular one! It brings tears of joy to my ears :)

Xanfire

Novice
denizsi said:
Then make your own fucking game if you think it's easy!

Ahahaha!That's one of the lamest and most pointless counter-arguements ever, which is a quite popular one! It brings tears of joy to my ears :)

That's not the counter-arguement you frikkin dolt, read the rest of the post.

denizsi

Arcane
I did. And the relevance of that very first sentence I quoted to the rest of your counter-arguement I didn't quote, is superb. I possibly could never dream of putting the two statements in what's supposed to be a logical and reasonable reply.

Xanfire

Novice
denizsi said:
I did. And the relevance of that very first sentence I quoted to the rest of your counter-arguement I didn't quote, is superb. I possibly could never dream of putting the two statements in what's supposed to be a logical and reasonable reply.

The reason for that statement was because the poster I was replying to was putting up all these things that are necessary for him, and my general impression from the forum - everyone here likes oldschool games, and severly critisize new ones - made me think that he implied that no games coming out at the moment offer that package he needs. So therefore if no one is delivering what he wants why doesn't he make his own game if he is always getting dissatisfied. If he think those things are very possible to provide within a reasonable development time then why doesn't he do it himself?

Xanfire

Novice
kingcomrade said:
I'm being ernest here
Hi, Ernest, I'm Clayton.

I'm trying to have a good debate here, and here I am stuck with a dumbass that can't offer a proper argument. I'm giving you the oppurtunity to share your opinion too here and you go about pointing out typos? How very mature of you.

Has any of you here actually played Oblivion, or do you only relay other people's opinions?
This game offers a lot, and it delivers. Dwelling on people's comments on how the game runs bad and the have all these issues and so on... of coarse every game has issues at launch, especially on the PC, and you can expect the people who can't play the game to be vocal about it. The ones who are playing are too busy to come on and say "Hey it works for me...".

As I said before, the term "role playing" is a relative term. You don't need an official commision to decide what is a role playing game or not. Because wether you like it or not there are going to be people who always find a way to do it in all RPG's, the good and the bad ones. Since this is a RPG dedicated forum I'd like to share with those who haven't tried Oblvion - because of theitr unwillingness to part themselves from nostalgic delusions - that this game does indeed present a believable and incredibley detailed world in which you can easily apply the 'role playing' to.

elander_

Arbiter
Xanfire said:
Then make your own fucking game if you think it's easy! Don't go critisizing things which you have never played before, or things that don't deserve critisizm. Those things have a time and place, and so early in Oblivions release people have opinions about story endings character depth and so on.

Have you taken a degree on noobness. You are realy good at it.

Your idea of crpg is just shity 5 year old role-playing. You can also role-play barbie dolls and little plastic soldiers with your imagination if you want. You can even pick up thief without stealing. Doesn't look very fun unless you are a dumbfuck.

Xanfire

Novice
elander_ said:
Xanfire said:

Have you taken a degree on noobness. You are realy good at it.

Your idea of crpg is just shity 5 year old role-playing. You can also role-play barbie dolls and little plastic soldiers with your imagination if you want. You can even pick up thief without stealing. Doesn't look very fun unless you are a dumbfuck.

And here we go, another ignorant bastard who thinks 'RPG' is only defined by his opinion. My argument is that the term 'role playing' is applicable in any game, wether you choose to or not is up to you. The reason why there is an RPG genre is because the games under that genre provide environments and stories which make role playing easier to apply to. The developer gives you a description, a world and a story. The developer does NOT in anway give you role playing, that's like saying movies give actors acting. The acting is something the actor has to do, and like in an RPG the 'role playing' is something you have to do, not the developer.

Micmu

Magister
Xanfire said:
And here we go, another ignorant bastard who thinks 'RPG' is only defined by his opinion. My argument is that the term 'role playing' is applicable in any game, wether you choose to or not is up to you. The reason why there is an RPG genre is because the games under that genre provide environments and stories which make role playing easier to apply to. The developer gives you a description, a world and a story. The developer does NOT in anway give you role playing, that's like saying movies give actors acting. The acting is something the actor has to do, and like in an RPG the 'role playing' is something you have to do, not the developer.
Is Quake a roleplaying game and why not?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom