Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Two Worlds Q&A at RPG Vault (moron alert!)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Two Worlds

<a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com>RPG Vault</a> has posted a 3-page <a href=http://rpgvault.ign.com/articles/693/693265p1.html>interview</a> with <a href=http://www.gorky17.com/>Two Worlds</a> developers. Here is a nice overview for your convinience:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Two Worlds is a fantasy role-playing game. There are three words to characterize it best - combat, story and freedom. Combat, because it is the most important way to solve the problems, and also the most attractive.</blockquote>They've lost me at "Hello"
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Story as this gives the play a sort of backbone. We really wanted to avoid situations where the main goal dissipates somewhere between two, less important quests. I can't reveal the backstory, simply because our idea for storytelling in Two Worlds implies revealing the important bits and pieces of the heroes' past as the main story goes.</blockquote>Translation: the story is the weakest point, and it's too pathetic to be revealed at this point.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>One thing you will not see in Two Worlds, however, are unnecessarily multiple dialogue options that give you the illusion of freedom, but change nothing. If there is a choice, it is not declared in dialogue, but must be done in the gameplay. Dialogues only illustrate and summarize what players have done and sometimes provide more information. Two Worlds is a role-playing, not a role-speaking game.</blockquote>Role-speaking game? That's a new one. I hope that Miroslaw's countrymen are very ashamed right now.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>We assumed that inventing a unique setting wouldn't add anything valuable to our game.</blockquote>...
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Two Worlds is very combat-oriented.</blockquote>No kidding
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>... This means there is no need to launch each and every attack; just select the target and let the avatar do the rest.</blockquote>Apparently, someone liked the worst feature from Dungeon Siege. Doesn't come as a surprise at this point.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>The fun lies in tactical usage of various skills, avoiding being surrounded, reacting properly to the attacks and special skills of opponents, etc. ... We designed the entire system to stimulate tactical thinking and to require upgrading skills with some purpose in mind.</blockquote>Somehow I doubt that this bright team has what it takes to deliver on those promises, but time will tell.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Thanks, <b>Jora</b>
<br>

Lumpy

Arcane
You could have put some of the good facts in there, like the effects on the world thing. But yeah, those things are retarded.

spacemoose

Erudite
Weak story?

I'll have you know that the world changed when Aziraal, the god of war, was slain in the huge battle long ago!

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Damn, I thought that we've come to the point when ''r pee gees'' couldn't get any dumber.
How wrong I was.
At least they admit it in the interview unlike some other devs.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
You could have put some of the good facts in there, like the effects on the world thing. But yeah, those things are retarded.
Lumpy, it's not that I chose to focus on the bad stuff, the point is that the bad stuff completely invalidates any good claims about the game.

Spacemoose said:
Weak story?

I'll have you know that the world changed when Aziraal, the god of war, was slain in the huge battle long ago!
:lol:

Gwendo

Augur
I think Battle for Middle-Earth 2 is already a better game than this.

bryce777

Erudite
"One thing you will not see in Two Worlds, however, are unnecessarily multiple dialogue options that give you the illusion of freedom, but change nothing. If there is a choice, it is not declared in dialogue, but must be done in the gameplay. Dialogues only illustrate and summarize what players have done and sometimes provide more information. Two Worlds is a role-playing, not a role-speaking game."

Up til then I thought it might not be totally idiotic.

Sounds like an Oblivionstyle role-sucking game, to me: you can play dress up dolly and fork placement tea party for over 200 hours!

If the combat was great, maybe it oculd be like jagged alliance, but somehow I doubt it.

Vival

Augur
There's an amusing little flash banner on theiroffical site which shows this goofy red knight doing a karate move in his platemail. He's probably some sort of Chuck Norris ninja knight. Awesome!

Seboss

Liturgist
Vival said:
There's an amusing little flash banner on theiroffical site which shows this goofy red knight doing a karate move in his platemail. He's probably some sort of Chuck Norris ninja knight. Awesome!
That made me laugh for a full minute. Avatar worthy on ESF.

elander_

Arbiter
moron said:
One thing you will not see in Two Worlds, however, are unnecessarily multiple dialogue options that give you the illusion of freedom, but change nothing.

So they are making multiple dialog options useful?!

moron said:
If there is a choice, it is not declared in dialogue, but must be done in the gameplay.

moron answers to himself said:
Combat, because it is the most important way to solve the problems, and also the most attractive.

moron said:
Two Worlds is a role-playing, not a role-speaking game.

Because this game is an rpg what the player will do in the game worth of a role-player with balls is:

moron answers to himself said:
Combat, because it is the most important way to solve the problems, and also the most attractive.

So you will be able role-playing an almost infinite variety of morons that solve their problems with combat. Do they have have elf morons and dwarf morons too? Because i don't think it's an rpg without elfs.

Tchan

Scholar
I think the 'rpg' has become the vehicle for another genre of game. The rpg has 'freedom, scope, infinite variations, huge world of exploration etc etc'. Now this sounds wonderfull and is a great 'sandpit' for gaming BUT we are not looking at rpg's anymore, were looking at action slash adventures. Essentially platform games with bigger platforms. So the assholes will call them rpg's but we know they are just hamming up some fucking arcade game.
It's like the days of R&B when it used to be R&B. Nowadays R&B stands for Rap and Bullshit.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
VD said:
Role-speaking game? That's a new one. I hope that Miroslaw's countrymen are very ashamed right now.
Uh, the game's published by a German company so perhaps it's a German studio after all, am I right folks? Please? There are many people in Deutschland named Miroslaw (e.g. Miroslaw Klose the semi-good soccer player) even though the name is Polish...

Anyway, the Earth 21xy games were not bad...

TotS

Novice
They mentioned Reality Pump as developer in the introduction to the interview. Judging from their website they're Polish.

Yay, i don't have to be ashamed :lol:

jplestat

Novice
Vault....exactly what RPG DO you like

You are so negative about every feature in every RPG that is coming out. I think this game sounds promising actually. But once again you trash it. So I am curious as to which RPGs you actually do like. Inquiring minds want to know.

Lumpy

Arcane
Re: Vault....exactly what RPG DO you like

jplestat said:
You are so negative about every feature in every RPG that is coming out. I think this game sounds promising actually. But once again you trash it. So I am curious as to which RPGs you actually do like. Inquiring minds want to know.
Well fuck it. If they say "We don't think originality is good" and "Dialogue options are teh shit", they deserve some bashing. On the other hand, the game sounds promising, since they claim many actions have big consequences on the world. I dislike how they keep claiming "Our features are the best ever" though.

Vault Dweller

Developer

jplestat said:
I think this game sounds promising actually.
What parts? Other than teh grafiks?

But once again you trash it.
Didn't you read the quotes? Do you have a fucking disability? Is there a fund I can donate to that helps people like you to comprehend what they read?

So I am curious as to which RPGs you actually do like. Inquiring minds want to know.
This is a very original question that's been asked only 200 times during the last year, but, desperately trying to win your love and friendship, I will answer anyway.

The huge list of RPGs that I actually like includes, but not limited to: Fallout, Arcanum, Darklands, Daggerfall, Prelude to Darkness (brilliant stuff), EVN, Planescape: Torment, certain Ultima & Wizardry games, Jagged Alliance, the non-rushed parts of KOTOR2 & Bloodlines, first halves of the Gothic games before they become all linear and turn you into a dragon-slaying orc-killing demigod, some Geneforge & Avernum games, Realms of Arkania (especially Star Trail), etc.

Vault Dweller

Developer

Lumpy said:
...since they claim many actions have big consequences on the world.
Well, let's see now, what actions? Since dialogues are NOT used to determine actions, I guess it comes down to what you kill and how. Not much could be built on that. Hence, it's another combat game that may or may not be interesting. At the moment the award for the "best fantasy game with bitching combat" in development goes to Dark Messiah, so why are we still talking about this inferior crap featuring hawt action that will be ruined by the Dungeon Siege approach?

Lumpy

Arcane
Whoa, wait a minute.
They said that a town is sieged by the orcs. You may open the gates to the invaders, or you may fight them back.
If the orcs win, they take control of the city, which completly changes it. The humans are enslaved or killed, i don't remember. But you'll find it somewhere, maybe in a thread here.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
If the orcs win, they take control of the city, which completly changes it. The humans are enslaved or killed, i don't remember.
How does all that affect you? Take Diablo 2, for example. Let's say you failed in Chapter 2 somehow and that town is completely destroyed. What does that change [in an action game]? Nothing. You can get the same services in the next one.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
If the orcs win, they take control of the city, which completly changes it. The humans are enslaved or killed, i don't remember.
How does all that affect you? Take Diablo 2, for example. Let's say you failed in Chapter 2 somehow and that town is completely destroyed. What does that change [in an action game]? Nothing. You can get the same services in the next one.
How did most decisions in Fallout affect you? No, they didn't. They affected the towns, but the effects weren't even visible, you were told about them.

jplestat

Novice

Vault Dweller said:
jplestat said:
I think this game sounds promising actually.
The huge list of RPGs that I actually like includes, but not limited to: Fallout, Arcanum, Darklands, Daggerfall, Prelude to Darkness (brilliant stuff), EVN, Planescape: Torment, certain Ultima & Wizardry games, Jagged Alliance, the non-rushed parts of KOTOR2 & Bloodlines, first halves of the Gothic games before they become all linear and turn you into a dragon-slaying orc-killing demigod, some Geneforge & Avernum games, Realms of Arkania (especially Star Trail), etc.

Not a surprising list really based upon the comments you have made. Wouldn't be my list but a few of the games on your list would be on mine as well. Looking forward to trying Prelude to Darkness when they re-release it. Agree on the Gothic games but I still think they are great. I suspect I like or am more tolerant of dungeon crawls more than you are. What is EVN ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom