Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Two Worlds Q&A at RPG Vault (moron alert!)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Lumpy said:
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
If the orcs win, they take control of the city, which completly changes it. The humans are enslaved or killed, i don't remember.
How does all that affect you? Take Diablo 2, for example. Let's say you failed in Chapter 2 somehow and that town is completely destroyed. What does that change [in an action game]? Nothing. You can get the same services in the next one.
How did most decisions in Fallout affect you? No, they didn't. They affected the towns, but the effects weren't even visible, you were told about them.
You are talking about the slideshow in the end, I'm talking about gameplay.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
If the orcs win, they take control of the city, which completly changes it. The humans are enslaved or killed, i don't remember.
How does all that affect you? Take Diablo 2, for example. Let's say you failed in Chapter 2 somehow and that town is completely destroyed. What does that change [in an action game]? Nothing. You can get the same services in the next one.
How did most decisions in Fallout affect you? No, they didn't. They affected the towns, but the effects weren't even visible, you were told about them.
You are talking about the slideshow in the end, I'm talking about gameplay.
Yes, Fallout barely had big gameplay consequences. Two Worlds promises it will have more.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Re: Vault....exactly what RPG DO you like

jplestat said:
I suspect I like or am more tolerant of dungeon crawls more than you are.
I like dungeon crawlers a lot, I'm intolerant only of poor gameplay. Example: Diablo 2 is a great dungeon crawler, Dungeon Siege is a screensaver. ToEE is a great TB dungeon crawler, while IWD2, while somewhat entertaining, suffers from waves of monsters and crappy combat.

What is EVN ?
Escape Velocity: Nova. Click here to read a review

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
Yes, Fallout barely had big gameplay consequences. Two Worlds promises it will have more.
Disagree, but I don't have time to have a long debate right now. Suffice to say that siding with Gizmo, learning about the mutants at the BoS facility, sending a water caravan to your vault, agreeing to be taken to the mutants' leader, arriving too late to Necropolis, etc affects your gameplay a lot.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
Disagree, but I don't have time to have a long debate right now. Suffice to say that siding with Gizmo, learning about the mutants at the BoS facility, sending a water caravan to your vault, agreeing to be taken to the mutants' leader, arriving too late to Necropolis, etc affects your gameplay a lot.
And why do you assume Two Worlds doesn't have that?
Besides, I think it's an improvement that instead of being told "The orc armies have taken over the peaceful city of Lolvanni, enslaving it's people", you actually see that yourself, and are possibly given the opportunity to do something about it.

Section8

Cipher
I'll admit that some of the features sound interesting, like Lumpy's example of letting orcs overrun a city and whatnot, but I just can't take them seriously due to the ridiculous marketing speak I've been reading.

It may turn out that the Orc invasion bit is like saying "Doom allows you to ally with monsters and cooperatively kill other enemies" just because monsters can become aggressive to one another, and occasionally the level design encourages you to exploit that behaviour.

Lumpy

Arcane
The whole game is said to be about choosing sides. In the end, the world you choose survives, and the other is destroyed.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
And why do you assume Two Worlds doesn't have that?
Because all those choices, except for the late arrival thing, require dialogue OPTIONS that this amazing game doesn't have because they are obviously gay.

Besides, I think it's an improvement that instead of being told "The orc armies have taken over the peaceful city of Lolvanni, enslaving it's people", you actually see that yourself, and are possibly given the opportunity to do something about it.
Depends on way too many things.

Lumpy

Arcane
No, they don't. You may open the gates for the orcs, or kill them.
And they didn't say that there aren't any dialogue options whatsoever, but that there aren't any meaningless ones, and that the focus is on gameplay choices rather than dialogue choices.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
The whole game is said to be about choosing sides. In the end, the world you choose survives, and the other is destroyed.
Have you played Deus Ex, by any chance? You can make some totally awesome choices that forever change the world ... 5 minutes before the game ends. Actually it ends when you are done choosing, but that doesn't mean that those choices were meaningless, of course. You must cast lvl9 Summon Alotta Imagination to experience them though.

Jora

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Because all those choices, except for the late arrival thing, require dialogue OPTIONS
*monologue starts*
Killian Darkwater: VD, please help me kill Gizmo!
*monologue ends*

*VD kills Killian*

Gizmo: I heard you killed Killian! Great! Now Junktown can be overrun by orcs!

You don't need dialogue options for that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Lumpy said:
And then WHAT? That's the key to that whole thing.

And they didn't say that there aren't any dialogue options whatsoever
"Dialogues only illustrate and summarize what players have done"

Jora said:
*monologue starts*
Killian Darkwater: VD, please help me kill Gizmo!
*monologue ends*

*VD kills Killian*

Gizmo: I heard you killed Killian! Great! Now Junktown can be overrun by orcs!

You don't need dialogue options for that.
Here is another example:
PC arrives to Shady Sands. Talks to Aradesh - too suspicious, kills him. Talks to Tandi - too whiny, kills her. Because you killed her, the raiders can't kidnap her. OMG! Teh choices affect gaemplay!

Drakron

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Have you played Deus Ex, by any chance? You can make some totally awesome choices that forever change the world ... 5 minutes before the game ends. Actually it ends when you are done choosing, but that doesn't mean that those choices were meaningless, of course. You must cast lvl9 Summon Alotta Imagination to experience them though.

I did and you certainly did not because none of then are dialogue based ... unless you are saying Two Worlds developers are right.

The only dialogue consequence was the kill switch code words but in order to KNOW it you have to check computers and so there goes dialogue again.

And as I am at it there were choices, non dialogue ones, in the game ... like if Paul lived or if you found a sabator that would destroy your ride if you did not and they had some effect on the game.

I even think you could even save that guy in the 747 and so skip part of the game (until Hong Kong) but all the times I tried that I got killed so I cannot verify that, getting by Ghunter on the subway was impossible (did manage to kill the ugly women once but the exit is simply too much firepower for me to handle it).

Vault Dweller

Developer
Drakron said:
Vault Dweller said:

I did and you certainly did not because none of then are dialogue based ... unless you are saying Two Worlds developers are right.
First, sarcasm. Second, see what that was in reply to.

elander_

Arbiter
Lumpy said:

What if you don't have access to the gates and you need to bribe or blackmail a guard to open them for you. Then you just watch him do it. But first you may have to do some detective work to know more about the guy. You see dialog is also gameplay. Some people just aren't too good creating it.

In the most optimistic scenarios this game will be an action intense game with some rpg qualities and a believable world where the hero doesn't say much. Like schwarzie in Terminator where he only talked for about 5 seconds (maybe less). It was a great movie by the way.

The lack of credibility comes from this guy being a moron. He could have focused in the qualities of his game instead of mocking dialog gameplay and spiting shit like the only fun way to solve problems is combat. It not only shows ignorance of everything that was achieved before he ever did anything but lack of education and maturity to promote a game. This guys makes Pete look like Einstein.

Drakron

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
First, sarcasm. Second, see what that was in reply to.

I have a shitty sarcasm detector.

I do get what you saying over dialogue but considering how much we bitch about BioWare choices being in essence running around in circle to end up going into the exact same path no matter what I have say that making choices by actions are more important as long they DO mean that and we dont end up with DX2:IW "its ok, we forgive you" fractions were you could against a fraction all the time but in the end you are able to get that fraction ending.

A damn shame because I remenber when DX2 started how they said that the whole "select your ending" at the final area was a design error and wanted to make the ending being more the result of the player actions over the game ... too bad we end up with the exact same thing that in DeusEx.

If they mean to remove the "illusion of choice" that comes from dialogue and force actions to BE the choice then its fine with me.

Lumpy

Arcane
Vault Dweller said:
Lumpy said:
And then WHAT? That's the key to that whole thing.
Then, the orcs take over the town, and the humans are enslaved.

Voltare

Liturgist
eh?

However, now, a fragile peace between the civilized races and the hordes is at stake. When the dwarven mining expedition discovered an ancient temple dedicated to an unnamed deity - all of the world's most powerful factions saw it as a possible clue to the place of Azriaal's burial ground. A silent war has now begun and it will soon ignite the fires that will lead to the holy crusade of the Orcs. However, the real danger lies somewhere else. A powerful force churns silently - weaving a secret plot of fear and destruction. In the end one of the Two Worlds will remain.

what two worlds?

I promise....I did NOT write this mess........

FrancoTAU

Cipher
This sounds like Diablo 2 clone set in the WarCraft world. And most Diablo clones suck. The hype of bestest this and bestest ever is annoying. The studio is pretty much unknown. Add it all up and i'm not very interested in this game anymore.

Perishiko

Scholar
What intrigued me is all the talk about how much the world and storyline is going to be changing with your "actions". I see this as more then just "kill, or don't kill someone".

In my eyes, it could be one of many things, such as:

1. Stealing this, causes this person to do... yada
2. Arriving late/early to "this" place causes...
3. Killing/helping this person causes...
4. Talking to this person causes...
5. Telling "so-and-so" that you'll do "this" for them, and not doing it...

Although, i must agree... Their interviews sucked. They really sounded like they were downing on their own game. Almost as if they don't want it to sell... almost... too truthfull. Something not seen from most companies... something that actually makes me want to keep an eye on them.

Perishiko

Scholar
LlamaGod said:
What the fuck?

Are there people actually defending Two Worlds?

Blasphemy! No one can have different opinions!

By the way, i don't think anyone's really defending it, just trying to clear up some of the mess that came from the interview i suppose.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Blasphemy! No one can have different opinions!

Yeah, Nazis had some different opinions too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom