Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN claims Obsidian is working on KOTOR 3

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
<a href=http://www.ign.com>IGN</a> has posted one of those <a href=http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/680/680220p1.html>prediction articles</a>, mentioning <b>KOTOR 3: Sith Lords are everywhere!</b>:

<blockquote>LucasArts' recent silence by no means equals inactivity. On the contrary, Knights of the Old Republic 3, which we believe is in development with Obsidian Development, is in the early stages of creation for a late 2006 -- most likely a 2007 -- release. The game should feature more seamless interaction between NPCs and the lead character, as well as better, more economic interactions between party members. We predict the combat system will go entirely realtime, as opposed to partially realtime (the way it was in KOTOR 1 and 2), and RPG fans will be able to enjoy more distinct shades of gray recognized by characters instead of the black and white distinctions made in the first two iterations of the series.</blockquote>
Well, on one hand, it's IGN, on the other hand, I'd be very surprised if KOTOR 3 wasn't in development, and considering the eagerness of Feargus to develop Knights of both old and the new republic, Obsidian is a perfect candidate for that role.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
It's worth noting that there is a sticky KOTOR 3: ideas & suggestions thread in the Obsidian General forum. Usually all unrelated to Obsidian threads are quickly moved to Off-Topic or Other Games sections.

Zomg

Arbiter
Knights of the Old Republic 3: Escape from the Corner We've Painted Ourselves Into.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Please don't bash me, but I would welcome fully real-time combat (or preferably fully turn-based combat) instead of the phase-based wickedness.

Other than that; please let this be true. I really wanna find out what Revan is up to.

spacemoose

Erudite
More economic party interactions?

NPC: I'm considering switching over to the dark side.

-No don't.
-Welcome aboard.

Chefe

Erudite
Oh joy. The first two were such excellent experiences that I can't even begin to fathom how spectacularly amazing the third one will be.

Vault Dweller said:
and RPG fans will be able to enjoy more distinct shades of gray recognized by characters instead of the black and white distinctions made in the first two iterations of the series

Hold on... "shades of gray"... "star wars"...
Am I missing something?

When you have something that is collectively known as a "Dark Force", you automatically rule yourself out of moral ambiguity. Nice try, fuckers.

Locue said:
Other than that; please let this be true. I really wanna find out what Revan is up to.

Boy Revan or girl Revan? Oh wait, it didn't matter at all did it? It might have mattered, if Obsidifuck actually made a choice what ending really happened but NOOOOOOOOOOOO.... idiots.

Since this game is already fucked RPG-wise, they should at least let us choose non-human characters to play as. Especially the Yodas and the Cewbacca races.

Jora

Arcane
Chefe said:
Boy Revan or girl Revan? Oh wait, it didn't matter at all did it?
Why should PC's gender have any kind of major effect in a Star Wars game? It didn't even matter in Fallout or Arcanum.

It might have mattered, if Obsidifuck actually made a choice what ending really happened but NOOOOOOOOOOOO.... idiots.
Are you crazy? Not letting the player decide what they did in the previous game would've made his decisions not matter, not the other way around.

Deacdo

Liturgist
If this is true, they must be pulling a "Troika" (having only a handful of people work on fairly ambitious projects).

Spazmo

Erudite
Well, if they drop the godawful KOTOR combat and just import what they had in the more recent Jedi Knight games (or something similar), it'd go a looooong way towards fixing the problems with KOTOR.

Chefe

Erudite
Jora said:
Chefe said:
Boy Revan or girl Revan? Oh wait, it didn't matter at all did it?
Why should PC's gender have any kind of major effect in a Star Wars game? It didn't even matter in Fallout or Arcanum.

I meant to add in there "Good Revan or Bad Revan" also. Whoops.

It might have mattered, if Obsidifuck actually made a choice what ending really happened but NOOOOOOOOOOOO.... idiots.
Are you crazy? Not letting the player decide what they did in the previous game would've made his decisions not matter, not the other way around.

No. Listen up. Here's what you do. You give a shitload of alternate endings for fun. Then, for the sequel, choose one of them. If not, then make the decisions really matter! In KOTOR2, you answered a few questions determining how you played the last game. It didn't matter. At all.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
If there is a KotOR 3, I'm hoping for the follow:

• Lightsabers need to be lightsabers. I'm kind of tired of the bullshit where any grunt with a sword can block my awesome lightsaber I spent half the game trying to find.
  • Star Wars is not about sword fights unless we're talking about Jedi. They definitely need to do something about the balance with blasters, and damnit, bad guys need to actually use blasters rather than dealing with swords the entire time when you get close to them. Melee in Star Wars is NOT VIABLE unless you're a Jedi.
  • Lay off the minigame crack. Other than the card game, the rest are pointless and do nothing for the game itself. Forcing them on the player is gayness defined.
  • No more of this bullshit level tie in with NPCs. Followers need to have their own level and experience pools. It's stupid that they can stay on the ship half the game until you need them, and they're instantly levelled up to the right level for you just because you finally need them. That seriously eats away at the replay value of the game as well as just being a stupid mechanic. Followers should be "Use it or lose it".

And hey, what's the big deal if your party members aren't as high a level as you are? Supposedly, you're the hero of the game, not them. [/b]

Jora

Arcane
Chefe said:
No. Listen up. Here's what you do. You give a shitload of alternate endings for fun. Then, for the sequel, choose one of them. If not, then make the decisions really matter! In KOTOR2, you answered a few questions determining how you played the last game. It didn't matter. At all.
I see your point, although I prefer even simple changes in dialogues over being told what I'm or did. Besides, I think there are some NPCs and quests that depend on the ending you choose.

Saint_Proverbius said:
If there is a KotOR 3, I'm hoping for the follow:
Amen. I'm not a fan of the D&D in space feeling the first two games have. Even the force power system was like in any recent third edition D&D game. I want something way more mysterious.

Section8

Cipher
My only real memory of the first KOTOR is being a Jedi Counsel tailored to a support role while my party mates did the tanking and damage, and then having my party revoked to face two "OMFG!!111!!!!11 pure Darks ide of da force embodddeed as monstaaaszzz!11!" alone, with no way of either overcoming them, or further advancing myself to a point where I could.

I hope they fix that.

...and the combat.
...and the dialogue.
...and the NPC personalities.
...and the poor excuse for non-linearity.
...and the "OMFG11!! find t3h 4 itemszz!11!" shit
...and all of Proverbius' points.

KOTOR 3 would have to get some pretty fucking positive testimonies for me to revisit that well of mediocrity and banality.

Chefe

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
[*] No more of this bullshit level tie in with NPCs. Followers need to have their own level and experience pools. It's stupid that they can stay on the ship half the game until you need them, and they're instantly levelled up to the right level for you just because you finally need them. That seriously eats away at the replay value of the game as well as just being a stupid mechanic. Followers should be "Use it or lose it". [/list]

I agree with pretty much everything you said but want to add something onto this.

Forced Followers - What you said SP should definitely put into effect, and the concept of forced followers should be dropped. What I'm talking about is how they stick you with characters you really don't want to be put with. You should be able to choose your party at all times. Not carrying around the person that would be ideal? Then make the quest tougher to complete, by means of an alternate route, not impossible. I want a hardass soldier and a robot on my team at all times. I want to see the plot unfold with those characters. Don't force me to switch them out.

Jason

chasing a bee
I'm one of the few KOTOR fanboys here, but I got to agree with Saint's points, especially the minigame one. I hate minigames with a passion. Real time combat wouldn't be a totally bad thing, either, as Locue pointed out. The first time I played KOTOR 1 I kept thinking that Jedi Academy style combat would be so much more fun in this context.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Oh fuck this fucking candy floss Star Wars shit.

Give me some fucking candy floss "original" IP you fucking fags.

Geezus fucking christ more vapid empty sterile product for us to piss on.

Chefe

Erudite
Shagnak said:
Oh fuck this fucking candy floss Star Wars shit.

Give me some fucking candy floss "original" IP you fucking fags.

Geezus fucking christ more vapid empty sterile product for us to piss on.

They need money for their super duper original IP. I think they need like a hundred bajillion zaillion dollars. Expect a few more KOTOR's and NWN's out of Obsidishit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom