Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Arcanum is the 2nd Coming of the Christ and the 8th Wonder!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Mmm, Elwro, the German version has passable voice-acting and an excellent translation of the original, so go ahead. It also uses very archaic language at times. A good thing. Have a dictionary ready. [You learn a language REALLY quickly playing a foreign game with a dictionary when you already know a little but about it.]

LCJr.

Erudite
kingcomrade said:
Alright I'm going to try Arcanum again...if I don't give a crap about combat and just want to take the easiest path what should I do. I figure swordsman or something with high dex? Don't have to fuss with ammunition that way.

Half Ogre Melee Wizard with Ran Away with Circus background. You'll have to put 1 or 2 CP in INT to get back to normal dialogues. I'd reccomend focusing on Temporal with a little healing and other buffs. Or you can just skip the magic put your points dex,str, melee and dodge. You'll still pulverize everything without any effort.

ixg

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
Oh, and it had thrice as much history as the US, too. Which is not really hard to get.

Please shut the fuck up.

As for Arcanum: the fact that a halfogre with a little magic could rip through anything doesn't bother me. That was the first character I played, but because I could blaze through the game, I missed a lot. So the second time around, I made a dwarf technologist, and saw the other half of the game.
And the end of the game is awesome. The cut-scene is excellent.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The Walkin' Dude said:
Elwro said:
All this makes my try to play the German version I bought a few years ago. Maybe my passive knowledge of the language would be sufficient now...

I dont know... you will miss out on the good voice acting.
I already played it in English and in Polish. Well, and in Beddoesish (don't play his mod) too.

Ladonna

Arcane
If you want to get the most out of the game= Intelligence and charisma + Worthless Mutt.

SPOILERSZOMG!!!!!11!

Go to Ashbury (Catch the train from Tarant if you are too weak to make it on foot) and immediately run over to the houses on the east side of Ashbury (You have a little while, so don't panic too much) and talk to the Gnome kicking the dog. Tell him to fuck off, and take the dog as a free companion. He is the strongest fighting machine in the game, good for an Intelligence/Charisma person.

And save the game in the Wheel Clan before talking to the exiled dwarf, and attempt to persuade him that the humans of Tarant are going to invade. Sit back and enjoy, then reload the game. :wink:

SPOILERS END!11!!

This is my favourite RPG, bar none. I have never played a game like it before or since. If you don't enjoy this game, I have to ask....what RPG's do you enjoy? and what the fuck do you enjoy about them?

LCJr.

Erudite
Admiral jimbob said:
I'm torn about whether to play a naked retarded person called Volourn or a proper Dwarf tech type. Cheesed my way through with diplomacy-stuffs, Harm and Lightning the first time.

They're aren't any trolls in Arcanum only half ogres. Sure you're not thinking of another game?

Texas Red

Whiner
Ladonna, what happens if you persuade the exiled dwarf? It seems that I missed the option 2 times when playing with smooth talkers. Tell me! I dont think Il be playing anotther diplomat for a long time.

Fenril

Scholar
Arcanum is by far Trokias best work, I loved it at the time, however tech chars and pure mages have a hard time.

I think troika would be better off doing arcanum 2 than say vampire: bloodlines. I had fun with bloodlines but it was mostly because of the story and the setting, gameplaywise It had alot of faults.

Ladonna

Arcane
SPOILERZ!!!!!

TWD: You can persuade the Dwarf king in two different ways: Abandon his exile and join up with the team....OR get him to believe the humans of Tarant are the real culprits behind what happened to the Dwarves of BMC. If you manage the second option, he leads the clan to battle and wipes out Tarant, and you get to watch one of the best cutscenes I have seen in a game (Not to mention walk around a dead Tarant...with one character alive that the devs must have forgotten to rub out).

SPOILERSZ OVER.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ladonna said:
SPOILERZ!!!!!

TWD: You can persuade the Dwarf king in two different ways: Abandon his exile and join up with the team....OR get him to believe the humans of Tarant are the real culprits behind what happened to the Dwarves of BMC. If you manage the second option, he leads the clan to battle and wipes out Tarant, and you get to watch one of the best cutscenes I have seen in a game (Not to mention walk around a dead Tarant...with one character alive that the devs must have forgotten to rub out).

SPOILERSZ OVER.

Damn, I never experienced that...
Well, one more reason to play Arcanum again, at a time where I thought I knew everything already.
This game never stops surprising, story-wise...

And it's one of the few games which have some REAL use for the persuasion skill.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I wonder what happens when I manually wipe out the whole world. Everything. Every city and town.

I tried it. Then my save file got corrupted. This taught me to make a lot of save files from now on instead of just one. I need to try it again.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Well I've been playing as a Human. I put a point into Agility of Fire or something like that, it gives me a huge boost during combat. I got that sword you told me to forge. The combat is just as terrible as I remember it.

Now, answer me a question real quick: How do you attack objects? I know you're supposed to use fists because of item durability, but I can't find the right key to do it. I think I've tried them all, but I must be missing one.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
kingcomrade said:
Well I've been playing as a Human. I put a point into Agility of Fire or something like that, it gives me a huge boost during combat. I got that sword you told me to forge. The combat is just as terrible as I remember it.

Now, answer me a question real quick: How do you attack objects? I know you're supposed to use fists because of item durability, but I can't find the right key to do it. I think I've tried them all, but I must be missing one.

For me it works using [Alt + left click on object] or maybe it was Ctrl instead of Alt, don't rmemeber

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
kingcomrade said:
I swear to god I tried both of those...grumble...I'll try them again.

It certainly is one of them, I always succeeded with these...
Maybe you should look in the manual?

Texas Red

Whiner
Ladonna, thanks! But do you know what the end game narrator says if that should happen? I mean with the bigest and influetial city, along with being the technological leader, gone, there should be something interesting to be said.

And kingcomrede, you enter combat and hold alt and then press on something you want to attack with the left mouse click.

Texas Red

Whiner
Fenril said:
I think troika would be better off doing arcanum 2 than say vampire: bloodlines. I had fun with bloodlines but it was mostly because of the story and the setting, gameplaywise It had alot of faults.

As I recall Sierra did not allow Troika to make another Arcanum. Although with the dumb 3D engine(they first planned a sequel instead of Bloodlines) it would never reach the height of the first Arcanum. If not for the demonic publishers and retardo reviewers, then there would be hope for a real sequel with upgraded graphics and the same goodness. *sighs* So many possible legend RPGs lost because of 10 year old idiots favouring akshon gaemz.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The Walkin' Dude said:
As I recall Sierra did not allow Troika to make another Arcanum. Although with the dumb 3D engine it would never reach the height of the first Arcanum. If not for the demonic publishers are retardo reviewers, then there would be hope for a real sequel with upgraded graphics and the same goodness. *sighs* So many possibly legend RPGs lost because of 10 year old idiots favouring akshon gaemz.

It would own even with 3D engine... the only problem is that Sierra said "NO!"
I wonder why, actually, it would have had great potential.

Texas Red

Whiner
JarlFrank said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
As I recall Sierra did not allow Troika to make another Arcanum. Although with the dumb 3D engine it would never reach the height of the first Arcanum. If not for the demonic publishers are retardo reviewers, then there would be hope for a real sequel with upgraded graphics and the same goodness. *sighs* So many possibly legend RPGs lost because of 10 year old idiots favouring akshon gaemz.

It would own even with 3D engine... the only problem is that Sierra said "NO!"
I wonder why, actually, it would have had great potential.

The large part of Arcanum which is freedom and its similarity to Fallouts would be lost with the 3D engine. The areas on Bloodlines are small and the progression extremely linear. No, that would not be Arcanum anymore.

As I stated before, I wonder how is it that nobody professional tried to copy from the success of Fallout besides Troika. But everyone and their grandma tried to, and still tries, to develop Diablo.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
The Walkin' Dude said:
As I stated before, I wonder how is it that nobody professional tried to copy from the success of Fallout besides Troika. But everyone and their grandma tried to, and still tries, to develop Diablo.

Diablo made more money?
That's waht most developers are after, after all...

This game here reminded me a bit of Fallout and Arcanum though as I played it, as I just remember.
Worth checking out.

Kraszu

Prophet
Game like diablo is also much easier to make.

I tried demo of avalon I got stuck at beginning, there was something that I traied to enter looked like some building you could see only wall, I check walk through and it said to enter there :? . But I could not find the fucking way to enter it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
I dunno, I finished the first part, I have the CD version and then in part 2 I got stuck at a hard enemy [darn], but I can't remember a lot anymore

jefklak

Scholar
I love Arcanum. Besides BG2 and Wiz8, this game tops every other RPG I ever played. Thanks for the thread! :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom