Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Your LARPing exploits

Lemming42

Arcane
Meaning things you do in games that aren't intended and which the game doesn't respond to, but you do anyway because you're a LARPing dickhead.

I always knock Maggie Chow out and then rescue her from the exploding reactor in Deus Ex, then leave her unconscious body in the safe bit of the sewer near the docks, to ensure a true no-kill run. The game doesn't give a shit but I've always done this anyway since the first time I played the game. Adds a bit of fun in that you have to get her through the water pipes without her drowning. Since the game never mentions her again, I like to imagine that she woke up, realised the absolutely hilarious extent of her fuckup (lost the reactor and got thwacked with a cattle prod), and just shrugged and decided to stay out of JC's way from that point onward.

I limit myself to three blackjack knockouts per mission in Thief, and no more. I imagine that it's chloroform, hence the limited supply, which is far less ridiculous than just smacking people on the skull and explains why they stay asleep so long.

In Daggerfall (aka LARPer's paradise) I tend to sneak into shops at night by first scaling the outer wall and entering through a top-floor door. There is no reason at all to do this, you might as well enter through the more easily accessible front door, but it feels more stylish and helps you get into character as a dashing gentleman/gentlewoman catburglar.

In Bethesda games from Oblivion onward, when I find a corpse of someone who's been killed by raiders or bandits or whatever, I drag them to a more dignified position. Like the random farmers who are dead in spike traps in bandit caves in Skyrim, I drag them off the traps and leave them on the ground with their arms folded like a mummy (or the best approximation I can get after three seconds of trying and failing to cross their arms). I'll also put clothes on them if they have none.

In most FPS games I never shoot people in the back. I always fire a warning shot first. In gameplay terms, this is insane and only serves to enormously disadvantage me because the AI obviously has no concept of a warning shot and instead just spins round and opens fire.

archetypes. depending on the game, ruleset, situation, mood, i pick an archetype on game start and stick to it, then it plays itself. this way whenever a wild dilemma appears i'm not forced to go always for the obvious most rewarding choice, and i haven't to stop and think what i'd do: i already know in advance.

Lemming42

Arcane
Why so peaceful-like?
Not sure, I just tend to have a hard time taking stories seriously where my character has killed like 5000 people with no apparent consequence or reaction. But I also just think it's more fun; having to keep Chow alive while carrying her to safety is more interesting both story-wise and gameplay-wise than just shooting her in the head. Most games don't expect you to try something like that and it's always fun to see how far a game's mechanics can be stretched in ways the devs might not have intended.

A lot of RPGs and imsims are perfect for messing around like that since they tend to have pretty poor combat but feature a lot of emergent systems. TES in particular is brilliant for it with all the shit you can do with the spellmaker and the myriad ways you can exploit the AI.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Maggie is a Grade-A bitch.
By leaving her alive, you end up doing more harm than good, since she will just keep on doing her shady shit...
But by the end of the game, I don't know how much that even matters anymore...

Lemming42

Arcane
Laugh it up but I cannot enjoy Thief without my self-imposed KO limit. It's just way too straightforward otherwise.

Reminds me of another obvious one - no use of powers in Dishonored. Impossible to play the game normally again after that (though it's still piss-easy even without powers).

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
I guess my biggest LARP was to play Age of Empire 2 roleplay with friends. We built roads between cities (by blowing up houses) before sending in trades. We did trade agreements, alliances, etc. It was actually really fun.

In terms of RPG, I guess I do follow archetypes like MadMaxHellfire

Saldrone

Novice
I tend to talk to every NPC in every replay even if the interactions are irrelevant and/or is about information i already now since the thing is my character doesn't.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
None. LARPing is for mega dweebs!

Edit: All my gameplay is from a performance/strategy standpoint, because I mostly only play hardcore games. When playing more casual games, then it's just doing whatever is most fun or fastest, or gimping myself to make it more challenging though that is the least desirable approach...so that's where mods come in.

Last edited:

Silverfish

Arbiter
I always knock Maggie Chow out and then rescue her from the exploding reactor in Deus Ex

Funny enough, in Human Revolution, I always ko Zeke Sanders during the hostage standoff and then taser him again when encountering him in the police station.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Laugh it up but I cannot enjoy Thief without my self-imposed KO limit. It's just way too straightforward otherwise.

Reminds me of another obvious one - no use of powers in Dishonored. Impossible to play the game normally again after that (though it's still piss-easy even without powers).
When I play Thief I also try to refrain from knocking out too many guards.
I try to go for semi (not full) Ghost style of gameplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom