Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Yippee ki-yay motherfuckers: Dragon Age is like Die Hard

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Tags: Dragon Age

... <a href="http://www.thegamereviews.com/articlenav-1251-page-1.html">or so say The Game Reviews.com</a>:
<br>
<blockquote>Like any good 25 year old man, I take most of my life lessons from the cinematic masterpiece, Die Hard. One can live a well-rounded life guided by such an opus of the humanities. Sure, people have made movies about a cop in the wrong place at the wrong time before. Yeah, guys have jumped off exploding buildings and fought German terrorists since time was time. So what if there was nothing astoundingly new about Die Hard? It was an awesome movie because it did what it did very well, and didn’t try to be anything it wasn’t.
<br>
[...]
<br>
After a frenzied battle, a short cutscene revealed that although the town was saved, Redcliffe’s mayor didn’t survive the melee. According to Mike Laidlaw, if the player performs well enough in the battle, they will not only save the mayor but earn a cool reward as well. Providing conditional bonuses is a great way to reward players for digging in to the tactics and winning battles with the least collateral damage. Hopefully the game will somehow give hints to the player to let them know reward conditions before they unwittingly fail them.
<br>
[...]
<br>
After the talking is said and done, the time came to lay some sword to Blight. The combat system in Dragon Age looks to strike a balance between casual players that just want to throw fighters into the fray and players that love positioning characters, precisely controlling skills and pulling off combinations that would make any min/maxer blush. Dragon Age’s characters can be controlled by a tactics system, which is startlingly similar to Final Fantasy XII
<br>
[...]
<br>
Dragon Age looks like a great game, but after playing Baldur’s Gate and Neverwinter Nights, I can’t escape a sense of been-there-done-that.</blockquote>
<br>
Been-there-done-that probably sells better than hey-what-the-fuck-is-this. You can <a href="http://www.thegamereviews.com/video-280-GDC-2009-Dragon-Age-Interview-with-Mike-Laidlaw.html">watch Mike Laidlaw talk about that in the video</a>. And bingo.
<br>
<br>
Spotted @ <a href="http://www.gamebanshee.com">GameBanshee</a>

Shannow

Waster of Time
After the talking is said
Huh?
The combat system in Dragon Age looks to strike a balance between casual players that just want to throw fighters into the fray and players that love positioning characters, precisely controlling skills and pulling off combinations that would make any min/maxer blush.
Read: There is no balance, just as there is no try. Positioning sucks because enemies are intelligent enough to run past the naked witch to engage the armored tank. And anyway, it's RTwP, what important positioning could there be? And battles are so easy that you can't fail. If you persist in winning them "perfect" you get bonus rewards which makes later battles even easier. Awesome balance: Either you auto win easy battles or you auto pwn stupid enemies making auto pwning the next battles even easiererererer :roll:
Dragon Age is startlingly similar to Final Fantasy XII
Three "Hurra!"s for Bioware. They managed that I don't want to play a party based RPG in a fantasy setting.
Maybe I'll torrent it when Adam Miller finishes his mod in 4 years or so...

Andhaira

Arcane
So basically its real time with pause. Big shock there.

The part about the reward for saving the mayor; its cool but encourages combat specific min maxing. There should be other ways to get te same reward (using skills/talking,etc)

bhlaab

Erudite
You know, I'd check out Crysis, but after playing Quake 1 and Strife it all seems a little bit "been there done that"

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Shannow said:
After the talking is said
Huh?
Dragon Age is startlingly similar to Final Fantasy XII
Three "Hurra!"s for Bioware. They managed that I don't want to play a party based RPG in a fantasy setting.

Actually, they what they are copying is something that worked pretty well in FFXII and it's something all RTwP games should have. I really wished NWN2 or Drakensang had something like that.

"Players can set conditions and appropriate actions for each character, essentially constructing their own rudimentary AI. These can be as simple as “When a party member’s HP falls below 25%, heal that person” to complex chains that fire off in sequence. Whole groups of rules can be saved in presets or turned off all together for those that want complete and anal control of the battlefield."

Tell me how that is something that should not be used.

bhlaab

Erudite
As someone who doesn't care much for party-oriented RPGs that sounds like, in theory, a great way to play to both crowds.

The theory being, "theoretically this won't be broken"

Shannow

Waster of Time
Elhoim said:
Tell me how that is something that should not be used.

Final Fantasy *g*
Nah, just messing ;)
The control scheme sounds good enough and reminiscent of BG2's contingency spells. If he'd said they built a control scheme that works like BG2's contingency spells, I'd said:"Well, that's about time." But he compared it to some console trash game (yes, prejudices FTW).
But the horrid AI + advertising easy battles + following battles get even easier if you're not retarded still all sound like fail. And I'm not even touching on multiple romances possible, companions only use their higher level skills if they like you as opposed to using them to stay alive, the old, old, old "fight ancient evel to save the world", u r "speshul" (TM) and whatever I don't know about yet that also sucks. Oh, now I did touch it. Ah well...

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First of all, I'm quite sure that there will be different difficulties, so you could just play on hard or incredible or on whatever they come up with.
If that is too easy... well, probably the game will be moddable, eh?

Tigranes

Arcane
The part about the reward for saving the mayor; its cool but encourages combat specific min maxing. There should be other ways to get te same reward (using skills/talking,etc)

When you are in a big chaotic battle, combat prowess is usually the only way to save the mayor. What the fuck are you going to do, run a bluff roll against orcs in heat? Go find a conveniently placed boulder to squish them every other battle?

FFXII Gambits worked well in that game because the super zoomed-up close-to-ground 3rd person view, and the limitations of the console controller, meant you couldn't control your guys very well anyway. As it is the combat was hardly complex. If it is designed as a crutch for those who want to nto pay attention to combat that's great, thoguh.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It won't be BG3. Or JE2, ME2, NWN3, KOTOR3, or any other game's sequel. It is DA1. Period.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes - the first part of yet another retarded trilogy from Bioware because they will need to release a game per year now to please their master.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
skyway said:
Yes - the first part of yet another retarded trilogy from Bioware because they will need to release a game per year now to please their master.

:lol:

Dragon Age 2012 EXTREME!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Yes - the first part of yet another retarded trilogy from Bioware because they will need to release a game per year now to please their master."

another?

Another?

ANOTHER?

AnOtHeR?

You make it sound like BIO has a hsitory of making trilogies when in fact they have made ZERO.

Volourn said:
"Yes - the first part of yet another retarded trilogy from Bioware because they will need to release a game per year now to please their master."

another?

Another?

ANOTHER?

AnOtHeR?

You make it sound like BIO has a hsitory of making trilogies when in fact they have made ZERO.

THIS. IS. SKYWAY

Arcanoix

Scholar
Volourn said:
It won't be BG3. Or JE2, ME2, NWN3, KOTOR3, or any other game's sequel. It is DA1. Period.

And It's Going To Fucking Suck. Period.

Jim Cojones

Prophet
Volourn said:

another?

Another?

ANOTHER?

AnOtHeR?

Mass Effect will be trilogy. Dragon Age will be another one. I know engrish iz teh hard but that's what 'another' mean.

And it's highly improbable that Bio will produce a game without a sequel (and another one afterwards ;)) after they were bought by EA.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Mass Effect will be trilogy. Dragon Age will be another one. I know engrish iz teh hard but that's what 'another' mean."

"You make it sound like BIO has a hsitory of making trilogies when in fact they have made ZERO."

Before bragging about your engrish, you better learn how to do some reddin'.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Knowing EA this will probably be the activation process for Dragon Age EXTREME!

a_da_activation.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom