Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Wyrdsong - open world historical fantasy RPG set in medieval Portugal from former Bethesda, Obsidian and BioWare devs

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Funniest part of the trailer was developed by the industry veterans who made all the worst RPG's you can possibly think of.
How to kill interest before you've even heard the game name :lol:

Larianshill

Arbiter
snapshot.jpg

So, it's a horror game?

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Without prompting, he adds: "You're going to be able to play whatever you want, wherever gender identity, we're not forcing- This is a fantasy setting based around Portugal just for the architecture and the sweeping landscapes and the coastline and the Arid mountains."

The Templars, you see, can be a problematic symbol because of their associations with far-right and fascist groups, particularly in England. "It definitely is on our mind," Gardiner says when I mention it. "We want to play into, again, the fantasy idea of what the Templars are. Again, you can play any gender Templar you want, any race Templar you want - we're not getting into that. We're not a historically pure game ... But I do agree that has been a tough conversation."
Ok, close the thread. I'm not even kidding

Holy Fuck! Infinitron What you and your people have done to gaming and culture is unforgivable

That definately sounds like something written by industry vetarans that gave us DA:I and the The Outer Worlds. At least they gathered all the cancerous people and put them on one projects so that they're not ruining multiple games at the same time.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I assumed the game was using some pre-roman celtic mythology
That's what I thought at first, given the trailer "underworld" aesthetics
But then going by Infi's posts, they seem to be mostly focusing (and possibly only aware) on the Templars
Besides Lusitanian mythology is obscure and a possibly mismatch of beliefs from all sorts of peoples that inhabited these regions

Harthwain

Magister
"Fantasy RPG inspired by medieval Portugal" is probably the correct way to put it. Because I can't understand how can you make a "historical fantasy RPG set in medieval Portugal". Either it's historical or fantasy at this point (or alternate history with fantasy elements). And if your Templar can be a woman or "any race" then you have no right to call your game "historical" by any means - it's straight up fantasy with medieval dressing.

I do like the bits about "questioning the nature of reality" and "unreliable narrators" though (and the art). This is a good starting point and something more games set in medieval settings should do.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Fantasy RPG inspired by medieval Portugal" is probably the correct way to put it. Because I can't understand how can you make a "historical fantasy RPG set in medieval Portugal". Either it's historical or fantasy at this point (or alternate history with fantasy elements). And if your Templar can be a woman or "any race" then you have no right to call your game "historical" by any means - it's straight up fantasy with medieval dressing.

I do like the bits about "questioning the nature of reality" and "unreliable narrators" though (and the art). This is a good starting point and something more games set in medieval settings should do.
They're using someone else's culture as a costume which is a totally acceptable thing to do to light-skinned Europeans. :M

Why is this has-been involved in fucking everything.
He just really hates Obsidian and wants to rub it in that this guy quit Avowed for this.

Harthwain

Magister
They're using someone else's culture as a costume which is a totally acceptable thing to do to light-skinned Europeans.
You're posting on a wrong forum. I don't really care about the whole "cultural appropriation" shit. Just describe your game accordingly.

V_K

Arcane
Funniest part of the trailer was developed by the industry veterans who made all the worst RPG's you can possibly think of.
How to kill interest before you've even heard the game name :lol:
On the other hand, we've had a slew of RPGs recently made by industry veterans who had made some of the best RPGs, and we all know how well it turned out.
So who knows.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
At best? This will be 2015 Assassin's Creed story meets Dark Souls gameplay: in XIIc Fantasy Portugal. At absolute best

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The moment I hear ooold female, grandma voice, or heaven forbids young Callifornia female voice as narrator: I zone out. Go to zzzzZ. You can tell a lot about project by these little details. Like when during Avowed's trailer a narrator said completely unnatural and forced phrase "....Queens and Kings". You can immediately see the way the wind blows.

he is right though

this woke grandma voice is everywhere

its cringe af

Delterius

Arcane
(yes Germanic paganism is such a good fit for Medieval Portugal)
>fantasy world set in 'medieval portugal'
>so are you gonna draw on arabic/jewish/celtic/popular catholic folk lores and mythos to make your world?
>actually this about vikings sweatie
>aAAAAAAAAAAAAOWAA THE TUGA RIING

i mean come on the elden ring phase of portuguese history starts with the peninsular war

oscar

Arcane
Any of those four would be more interesting and novel than vikangs (especially in the recent trend of portraying vikings as multicultural gender neutral heroic freedom-lovers fighting the oppressive racist Christian patriarchy instead of the slaver rapist opportunist pirates they really were).

It boggles the mind how much they are wasting this setting. Why not set it in the actual viking age if you want to go this route? Or Anglo-Saxon England? Charlemagne's war with the Saxons? Kievan Rus? Or Roman-era Germania?

Harthwain

Magister
>fantasy world set in 'medieval portugal'
Apparently they picked Portugal "because Templars". I seriously doubt we will see much more connections between "medieval Portugal" and the game than that.

>so are you gonna draw on arabic/jewish/celtic/popular catholic folk lores and mythos to make your world?
What Celts have to do with medieval Portugal...?

>actually this about vikings sweatie
:what:

Where you guys are getting this shit from? Because Skyrim? This could easily mean they want to make a first-person perspective sandbox open world game.

Delterius

Arcane
What Celts have to do with medieval Portugal...?
As much as Greek paganism has to do with medieval Constantinople. If you're making a historical fantasy setting then you could have a scenario where run into an ancient mound and end up in the otherworld. This would offer a good contrast with folk traditions of all kinds, including those of catholicism.

Terenty

Liturgist
"unreliable narrator"

Trannies and faggots make sense now

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom