Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WTF was Viconia Evil in BG3

Tyrr

Liturgist
"B-but my epilogue"

Like I said earlier, just because something *can* happen in your play-through doesn't mean it *did*.
Reminds me of:
nCS9ioJ.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Reminds me of:
It's not quite the same, because there is no save importing in Baldur's Gate (character importing, sure, but it's not the same thing). They have to choose their own canon for sequels and if it contradicts what happened in your game, tough.

RPK

Scholar
Reminds me of:
It's not quite the same, because there is no save importing in Baldur's Gate (character importing, sure, but it's not the same thing). They have to choose their own canon for sequels and if it contradicts what happened in your game, tough.

They could have imported the save then.
and do what? write a million different permutations of the story where 1 person's play-through has character x alive and one person's playthrough doesn't? Do you realize how much work that would be?

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Yeah come on here. Not like BG2 import had any consequence on characters. I'm still pissed that Minsc lived in BG2, what happens in 3 is very much moot. Don't talk to me about how they treated Monty either. At least Viconia was some kind of major character in the plot.

Sarathiour

Cipher
According to myself, she's a feminist, so also yes without a doubt.
She was abused by her dad (Angelo), hence her hatred for men. She wasn't one of the alphabet people, relax.
I never implied that she was an alphabet something, being a feminist never prevented women from having sex with men, and don't specially turn them into lesbian.
I mean, on the other, being a lesbian also never prevented women from having sex with men.

Sarathiour

Cipher
Reminds me of:
Nor does there is any in DA, unless you consider the addon. You have to redo your choice, and it will just bet rectonned to something convenient anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Awful lot of work to accommodate maybe dozens or hundreds at best who still have a save file for a 20 year old game. A save file for an expansion most people don't even like no less.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Reminds me of:

Or just leave the old BG characters alone.

Terra

Cipher
Reminds me of:

Or just leave the old BG characters alone.
Best course of action, to do otherwise you just end up annoying fans of the original games. But who are we kidding, the new current audience for BG3 haven't even played the original games and don't give a shit. Which kinda just further underlines your point, really.

To be fair, I do think it is a difficult position to be in, if I were a decision maker/lead tranny at Larian, it'd feel strange being essentialyl given leeway to do whatever I wanted (within reason) to old characters. To me, I know that the risk of me imposing my view of the character onto the game would probably be quite high, even when such a view could be biased/wrong - I wouldn't want to be in that position personally. But yeah, they should've just left the old characters alone and done their own thing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Best course of action, to do otherwise you just end up annoying fans of the original games. But who are we kidding, the new current audience for BG3 haven't even played the original games and don't give a shit. Which kinda just further underlines your point, really.

To be fair, I do think it is a difficult position to be in, if I were a decision maker/lead tranny at Larian, it'd feel strange being essentialyl given leeway to do whatever I wanted (within reason) to old characters. To me, I know that the risk of me imposing my view of the character onto the game would probably be quite high, even when such a view could be biased/wrong - I wouldn't want to be in that position personally. But yeah, they should've just left the old characters alone and done their own thing.
There were people on this very forum complaining that BG3 had nothing to do with the previous games even though it takes place near and in the city of Baldur's Gate. Someone's always going to get upset over something.

Well, you have people who suddenly feel that Larian "doesn't care" about the old games when the idea was that they were never that good to begin with (even though they probably play them all the time).

GreyViper

Prophet
From what I have seen Larian seems to be open to criticism and suggestions. So rise a stink on their official forum and TwitterX and point out the now-redefined Drow behavior by WoTC and use the points you made in this thread. Mention it seemed shoehorned in like a rush job, I noticed that seemed to catch their attention.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Awful lot of work to accommodate maybe dozens or hundreds at best who still have a save file for a 20 year old game. A save file for an expansion most people don't even like no less.

It's not though. BG2 saves are just 2D arrays.
They could of very easily peeled out the values they needed and ignored the rest, if they gave a shit.

They gaider'd it.

:dgaider:

jf8350143

Liturgist
She could be repalced by anyone and the story would stay exactly the same.

And she barely has any personality, generic as fuck.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They could of very easily peeled out the values they needed and ignored the rest, if they gave a shit.
The work comes from all the additional scripting required (plus recording alternate dialogue/cinematics). Absolutely not worth it to appeal to the handful of people who still have Throne of Bhaal saves.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The work comes from all the additional scripting required (plus recording alternate dialogue/cinematics). Absolutely not worth it to appeal to the handful of people who still have Throne of Bhaal saves.

I would of gave up bear sex for more reactivity in the story TBH.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Although I haven't played BG3 - I have seen all of the Viconia content, and it occurs to me that the thread title is missing the point. Instead it should be: "WTF?! Was Viconia a neutral retard in BG3?". Since she has all the personality in BG3 of a 90 year old sweat shop slave knitting a sweater while having phone sex with the same client that's been phoning her for 20 years.

-Go ahead; make the expected retort.

Could easily do it like Witcher series where everyone can decide which major decisions happened in previous games. And if you didn't want to do much work you can always just remove a character from the game and have a stand-in doing essentially the same thing. e.g. "Viconia was redeemed and is elsewhere, instead here's new drow 95% the same". IIRC TW3 does that a lot where certain decisions just add a note somewhere detailing what that character was doing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom