Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN WTF: Baldur's Gate recreated entirely in NWN2 engine

This comes out while I am flagellating myself on the OC to get to MoTB, SoZ, and MoW. It's like a rite of passage. Each movement of the camera is a whip on the back with a cat-o-nine tails and each battle is a bull's pizzle up your ass. BG - Reloaded would be the ending of 120 days of Sodom where one of the boys gets his testicle popped with a thumb and forefinger. Downloading now.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This comes out while I am flagellating myself on the OC to get to MoTB, SoZ, and MoW. It's like a rite of passage. Each movement of the camera is a whip on the back with a cat-o-nine tails and each battle is a bull's pizzle up your ass. BG - Reloaded would be the ending of 120 days of Sodom where one of the boys gets his testicle popped with a thumb and forefinger. Downloading now.
Learn something every day.

Nadosh

Novice
I'm still a bit more excited about BG2 Redux in DA:O engine. Nice work though, we can never have too much BG.

It is a shame the DA:O community is only interested in new faces for their WAIFU and more explicit sex scenes. Compared to NWN2 the DA:O modding community leaves a lot to be desired.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This is impressive and sad at the same time.
Impressive that the guy actually finished it. Sad that so much time and energy was spent on remaking a near perfect (if you use the right mods) game into an in many ways inferior engine.
But if it helped him getting a job in the industry I guess it was worth it.

I'm not familiar enough with Neverwinter Nights 2 to say one engine is better than the other, but doesn't Neverwinter Nights 2 use the 3.5 ruleset? In my experience, the third edition gives far more character customization and combat options to the player than the second edition, so in that regard it sounds like an upgrade. Can you explain what you mean by an inferior engine, unless you mean that it looks better pre-rendered and top down?

Clunky camera controls and clunky combat.
Isometric is much better for party based games IMO. And for single character games I prefer 1st person, thus not having to fight against the camera.
As for the rulesets, I kind of like the relative simplicity of 2nd edition or the "2.5" edition of BG2.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm still a bit more excited about BG2 Redux in DA:O engine. Nice work though, we can never have too much BG.

It is a shame the DA:O community is only interested in new faces for their WAIFU and more explicit sex scenes. Compared to NWN2 the DA:O modding community leaves a lot to be desired.

You're definitely right about that sir - BG2 Redux is the only exciting DA:O mod out there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
octavius Apparently, "AD&D 2.5" is actually a thing, and both BG1 and BG2 use it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons#Differences_from_Advanced_Dungeons_.26_Dragons_2nd_edition

In 1995, the core rulebooks were slightly revised and a series of Player's Option manuals were released as "optional core rulebooks". Although still referred to by TSR (and later Wizards of the Coast) as the 2nd edition, this revision is seen by some fans as a distinct edition of the game and is sometimes referred to as AD&D 2.5.

So Gold Box is AD&D 2, Infinity Engine is 2.5. What I wonder is whether there was ever an AD&D first edition game. It'd have to be unofficial since I don't think TSR licensed out before SSI.

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You can say many things about NWN2 and its engine, but at least it's not a massively overhyped piece of shit RTS pretending to be RPG.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
octavius Apparently, "AD&D 2.5" is actually a thing, and both BG1 and BG2 use it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editions_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons#Differences_from_Advanced_Dungeons_.26_Dragons_2nd_edition

In 1995, the core rulebooks were slightly revised and a series of Player's Option manuals were released as "optional core rulebooks". Although still referred to by TSR (and later Wizards of the Coast) as the 2nd edition, this revision is seen by some fans as a distinct edition of the game and is sometimes referred to as AD&D 2.5.

In that case it's my favourite edition. The extra options in the BG games were definitely an improvement from the Gold Box games.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Yes but how much can you really do with that engine? Maybe the limitations are just too big for anything more than sex. Of course the userbase is different too...

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Extremely impressive that this project was completed and actually looks good. We're probably the one branch of reality where this actually happened. In the other 32766 parallel Universes, the author gave up after a year, and in one Universe he invented time travel instead.

Revenant

So Gold Box is AD&D 2, Infinity Engine is 2.5. What I wonder is whether there was ever an AD&D first edition game. It'd have to be unofficial since I don't think TSR licensed out before SSI.
No, Gold Box is AD&D1, what you are referring to is a revision of AD&D2 that could indeed be called AD&D2.5. The question would then be whether there has ever been a proper AD&D2 game (before the 1995 revision). I think Dark Sun should be the case, but then again Dark Sun is quite different from vanilla AD&D.

Revenant

I believe multi-classing without restrictions is an AD&D1 feature. Also, the crippling level limits for demihuman characters.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Extremely impressive that this project was completed and actually looks good. We're probably the one branch of reality where this actually happened. In the other 32766 parallel Universes, the author gave up after a year, and in one Universe he invented time travel instead.

Maybe he invented time-travel first, then rectified that decision by going back in time to finish the mod instead.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Revenant
Oh wait, fuck, disregard that, I suck cocks

AD&D 2nd edition came out in 1989. So yeah, POR must be first edition. But what about the sequels?

Revenant

All Gold Boxes are 1st edition AD&D. You can import characters from game to game, after all.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
All Gold Boxes are 1st edition AD&D. You can import characters from game to game, after all.

That's interesting. You'd think TSR would have forced them to convert to the new edition (using some kind of character conversion procedure to import characters to the sequels, perhaps)

Revenant

That's interesting. You'd think TSR would have forced them to convert to the new edition (using some kind of character conversion procedure to import characters to the sequels, perhaps)
TSR must have been too busy getting bankrupt while releasing new settings and supplementary materials, especially since computer role-playing games were a novelty in those days (remember that PoR is the official AD&D computer product, that is, the very first) and the main market for RPG products were the PnP nerds, contrary to late 90s/early 2000s. So, building on existing work and releasing more games over a short time span, even based on an obsolete edition, must have been more profitable for SSI and TSR.

Also remember that BG2 was also based on AD&D2, even when D&D3 was around the corner or was even already released (both came in 2000). Even in later years, there were expansion packs to BG2 and IWD that used AD&D2.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
(remember that PoR is the official AD&D computer product, that is, the very first)

Well, except for those weird Intellivision games: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dungeons_&_Dragons_video_games

Also remember that BG2 was also based on AD&D2, even when D&D3 was around the corner or was even already released (both came in 2000). Even in later years, there were expansion packs to BG2 and IWD that used AD&D2.

It wasn't out yet during BG2's development, though. The Gold Box games meanwhile kept coming out through 1992, three years after 2nd Edition.

Anyway, what about Eye of the Beholder? Was that 2nd ed?

A user named cat

Drew Rechner said:
No way! BGR is definitely a different beast: different rule set, 3D instead of 2D, etc. If you want something that's as close to the original experience as possible (but with a lot of modern conveniences and new content), BG:EE is perfect!

This clown is off his rocker. Remaking an overrated as fake tits game in a completely crap engine. Congrats? Commending his dedication and follow-through is like praising a fatass for gaining a metric ton and meeting his goal of being forklifted out of his bedroom. I hope he gets a part-time job at Bethesda fetching Todd's coffee and heroin.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Drew Rechner said:
No way! BGR is definitely a different beast: different rule set, 3D instead of 2D, etc. If you want something that's as close to the original experience as possible (but with a lot of modern conveniences and new content), BG:EE is perfect!

This clown is off his rocker. Remaking an overrated as fake tits game in a completely crap engine. Congrats? Commending his dedication and follow-through is like praising a fatass for gaining a metric ton and meeting his goal of being forklifted out of his bedroom. I hope he gets a part-time job at Bethesda fetching Todd's coffee and heroin.

I just cut myself from reading that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom