Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WOW: Did they go too far with this PVP attack?

Was this funked up?

• YES, very cruel.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO, very funny.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
Background:

Apparently this girl on a pvp server died in real life and her guildmates wanted to have an in-game funeral for her. Of course, the obvious response for a rival guild was to raid the funeral with appropriate musical accompaniment.

The Link:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... renity+now

Sound off... Did this go too far? There is a minor internal debate here. Some say it was hysterical, other said it was mean and heartless... I am caught in the middle. I think if they wanted security, they should have went someplace beautiful but SAFE where they wouldn't get ganked - so this should have been expected ergo its funny. On the other side, it was a nice tribute to a fellow player, and ruining it like that was pretty foul.

I am torn, I laugh but feel guilty at the same time because I probably would have participated in the raid only to regret it later.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Neat.

Edit: Just finished watching the video. Pretty good stuff, though I found it to be rather annoying how some of the forum posts (and pretty much all the in-game text) were rendered unreadable by the low quality of the video.

Crichton

Prophet
If people are trying to hold a funeral online, fucking them up online isn't enough, you need to track them down and give them a good kicking in person to remind them of the difference between real life and their stupid MMO.

Kraszu

Prophet
Those both things are fucked funeral and pvp them. I understand meeting when they would talk about that person but not making religion like funeral.

Human Shield

Augur
Gameworld and real live should be seperate. In a PvP area you get attacked, tough shit.

And I saw a high res version where you could read what was said, the forum post was like: 'she loved water and the snow" and after killing everyone he went and bowed and said:

"She loved fishing"
"And snow"
"And PVP."
"LOL"

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If the video wasn't total shit, it might have been good, I've seen better production values in a Volourn post

Kraszu

Prophet
They know that person by the game, so I don't see nothing strange if they would meet to talk about that person (purpose of real funeral). Having relations in mmo insted of relations in real life is retarded but that kind of thing (meeting) would be just consequence of that. Making it religion like show is fucked.

ou818

Novice
Sounds like Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church are at it again!

You know... The good folks that protest soldiers' funerals -- telling the families their sons and/or daughters are burning in hell for fighting for a nation that GOD HATES.

glasnost

Augur
If you download it directly, the quality will be much better when you view it.

--

It's very funny. The individuals holding their 'memorial service' should have stepped back and noticed that an "ingame funeral' is pretty outthere to begin with. Really, would her family *want* a video of that, like they said they were making for them? It's a bunch of unknowns gawking at her e-corpse. I think more people react badly to taking relationships online too far than they do to pulling pranks.

And she probably thought it was funny, too.

Zomg

Arbiter
Well, it's good that some MMO players were made to feel bad, but on the other hand it's bad that some continued to feel good.

Dogsoup

Scholar
I saw the funeral movie (the devil made me do it) and it was clearly twisted: the music was awful. They fucking put on "Scatman", for God's sake. Fucking morons. As for the funeral, I clearly don't give a shit.

Dogsoup

Scholar
RPGs are fucking RPGs: role-playing games: role-playing. If you have your tooth pulled, don't expect other people to say to you "Oh brother, that's the shit, me, as a Lvl 38 archer elf thinks that's it's a mess that you had your tooth pulled by Dr Poiccard". I don't give a shit. Funerals in RPGs stink. That's fucking nerdy nowhere life: role-playing becoming your life. You should see a doctor.

Dogsoup

Scholar
Then you'll see a doctor and say "Behold my splendid staff". He'll answer "Whatever, it's 30 dollars, you are beautiful".

whitemithrandir

Erudite
Wait, they hold a funeral in an MMORPG with a strong PvP element but don't have enough skills to hold off a gank?

Fuck them. That's weak.

If my guild were to hold anything, we'd make damn sure any gank attempt would be thwarted with their corpse littering the floor and plenty of teabagging action going on.

Of course, if I actually played WoW, I'd shoot myself for paying monthly fees for a social life.

Jason

chasing a bee
It was nice to hear "Where Eagles Dare". That song makes me want to be 18 again, drinking malt liquor, and feeling up my white trash gal pal.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
You cant really expect any better, what sort of punishment / consequence is it gonna be for this sort of bad action?

Fame. Fame and more Fame.

hate it or love it, people take attention. That's what these funeral starters & crashers want. And they're getting it.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
This is the first time I actually watched a WOW gameplay video. Looked like fun. For a moment I thought about buying an MMORPG for the first time.. Then I reminded myself that I would have to interact with a hordes of creepy retarded teenagers and the idea quickly went away. Halleluja!

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
copx said:
Looked like fun. For a moment I thought about buying an MMORPG for the first time..
Me too. "Hey, this WoW game might be fun after all!" But then I remembered the monthly fees and got back to Avernum 2.

The idea of a funeral in which people stay in line while doing somersaults was fucked up from the start.

Daigoji_Gai

Scholar
Elwro said:
The idea of a funeral in which people stay in line while doing somersaults was fucked up from the start.

I have to put this in my sig, made me laugh so hard I threw up the coke i was drinking and damn near pissed on myself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom