Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry 8 - first time playing

xuerebx

Erudite
I have now seem to progressed very quickly in the main quest (not sure if the term "main" quest is relevant here, given that I think all quests bar a limited few are related to the main quest) after finishing Bayjin - found the Umpani soldier who was imprisoned, found the black box in Bayjin, used the black box in Arnika near the Calisto Ship and obtained the co-ordinates.

A question, out of curiosity, how should I have known to use the "shiny metal ball" on the flight console/orbital tracker? I used it by coincidence without realising and it worked, but I didn't find any hints in-game to help me make the link.

Black

Arcane
There's a message left near the flight console, some Trynnie talking smack how Bobo (the hogar in Trynton) will enjoy his new toy or something.

DraQ

Arcane
5. I'm just arguing because i want you to be wrong but my arguments don't make any sense.

I re-played Wizardry 8 more times than you had sex in your entire life and being surrounded by a strong party doesn't mean shit
No, being surrounded is absolutely fabulous! You can attack in any direction!
:roll:

if you spend hours of playing hide and seek with enemies always fighting back to a wall, you should stop and play Japanese shitzardry instead, your party will never get surrounded there.
Where's the fun in that?

A question, out of curiosity, how should I have known to use the "shiny metal ball" on the flight console/orbital tracker? I used it by coincidence without realising and it worked, but I didn't find any hints in-game to help me make the link.
Disappointing coming from someone with your av.

xuerebx

Erudite
I'm not sure how the Ordinator would have helped me :p

I think I need to focus more whilst playing to make certain connections. Short gaming sessions don't help I'm afraid.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Don't worry, most players don't make half the connections either on their first playthrough, you start to notice the hints when you replay it because most cRPG just give you useless lore instead of useful clues so you don't pay attention.

xuerebx

Erudite
I've progressed much further, and made the Rapax my allies. At least up until the point that Al-sedexus fucked my rogue and is hexed if I venture in Ascension Peak or the Dark Savant Tower. Given that I have access to both, I think I'm nearing the end of the game, or at least very far into the plot.

My experience with the combat system is that it always keeps you on your toes and is consistently challenging. At the start of the game, with no AOE damage spells or AOE control spells I had a rough time and had to align my tactics to focus on my melee characters. Once I got AOE spells combat became easier to control mobs, but the enemy groups were large and varied enough to still require some thought to the fights. And once I thought I could spam fireball on everyone, the Rapax showed up and they're nearly immune to it. So yeah, I love the combat in this game :D

Side question - is it worth to provide the things Ferro Rapax wants to create custom work? I just need a Holgar Tusk and a Locket of Reflection to be able to get 2 custom items - not sure if it's worth searching for these.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
The vampire chain is good, the ivory sword is probably obsolete by now except if half you party uses swords, the mirror armor is good to get if you have 3+ characters using heavy armors.

Black

Arcane
Side question - is it worth to provide the things Ferro Rapax wants to create custom work? I just need a Holgar Tusk and a Locket of Reflection to be able to get 2 custom items - not sure if it's worth searching for these.
If you don't do it you can't say you completed the game.

xuerebx

Erudite
I'll try to find them then. I'm a kill me some Hogars!

Another question - All spellbooks encountered by Vi I get the "Vi is not powerful enough to understand the writing" (e.g. level 5 spell). I can't find the link between the level of a spellbook and the level of Vi? She's level 16.

Last edited:

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Hybrids are 4 level behind, spell-wise, she can learn lvl 5 spells at level 15, it's probably because of a low divinity skill.

There is a minimal skill requirement to use spellbooks, i'm not sure about the number though but the right way to build a Valkyrie is to put 3 points into divinity every level up.

It's way harder to keep up with a ninja or a samurai.

jackofshadows

Magister
Well, if adjustment is correct (which make sense) - it doesn't really matter anyway since the most difficult developing part as you're well aware on lower skill levels.

xuerebx

Erudite
Thanks guys I'll have a look when I'm at home. I think I always put 3 skill points in divinity on level up so something is amiss.

xuerebx

Erudite
I'm on my way to ascend :positive:!!

Got so carried away with the Rapax area that I forgot my original goal was to find Marten and the Destinae Dominus. When I then went to the sea caves it was a breeze, might have been over levelled. I'm also filthy rich with over 300k gold pieces :D

Anyway, I guess I'm pretty close to finishing the game now, just need to place the remaining 2 cosmic balls in their respective places.

I have 55 hours on GOG, and I only started using GOG Galaxy half way through the game. Best €0.86 I've ever spent!

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm also filthy rich with over 300k gold pieces
Did you visit Ferro in the rapax castle? I know people say an alchemist breaks the economy, but even with an alchemist I've never had enough money to buy all the crazy stuff he sells without some serious grinding.

xuerebx

Erudite
I'm also filthy rich with over 300k gold pieces
Did you visit Ferro in the rapax castle? I know people say an alchemist breaks the economy, but even with an alchemist I've never had enough money to buy all the crazy stuff he sells without some serious grinding.

I used to but before going to Ascension Peak I couldn't be bothered to go through the Rapax mobs again (I had placed a portal just before Ascension Peak). I never grinded though since I hate grinding, and I lost quite a substantial amount of gold in a trap which turned my gold into dust! (I realised later)

Reality

Learned
In my first playthrough ferro got killed by the Rapax guards before I ever talked to him so I just slummed it out with mostly equipment from Bela

xuerebx

Erudite
In my first playthrough ferro got killed by the Rapax guards before I ever talked to him so I just slummed it out with mostly equipment from Bela

Ah that reminds me of the only real infuriating moment in the game. I killed maybe around 30 Rapax assailants (combination of normal Rapax thugs, concubines etc) which were pretty tough for me. Maybe it took me around 30-45min...

I won and I realised Ferro was killed. Since he sold some good stuff I had to reload :(

xuerebx

Erudite
IMG-20200622-174050.jpg

I've done it! For closure to anyone reading, I had to post this.

One of the very few games were I never got bored of playing it - I usually get bored at the end of a playthrough and rush through it.

Anyway, I'm a God now motherfuckers!

EDIT: the saddest part was having your savegame exported, presumably for the sequel (as I understand was the norm for the Wizardry series). :(

Last edited:

Reality

Learned
Final levels of party and which charather had most kills?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom