Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why oblivion will be the best game ever

Pyrocius

Novice
hi, i'm new
has anyone seen the oblivion screenshots that have not been put on the elderscrolls site?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yeah, I've seen a really bad screenshot depicting dialogue. It was on a Czech server, I think, and I gave a link to it a month or 2 ago - when one of us claimed that Oblivion would have dialogue trees like all the good cRPGs.
You can find it via RPGDot, I think.

Atrokkus

Erudite
Well, that's a breakthrough:
now it sure seems like KOTOR system, so i guess there are dialog-trees and stuff.

Now the question is - are they trees, or stumps?

Atrokkus

Erudite
Well, i hope you're wrong.
Can't stand that "topics of discussion" shit...
It's the main reason why Morrowind sucked so much as RPG (which it isn't).

NeutralMilkHotel

Liturgist
I was just saying we don't know yet. It could be both dialogue choices and topics of discussion, or it could be one or the other. We'll see in due time.

LordofFever

Novice
WOW...all I have to say, if the media says it's good then the game is good... fucking hell, he'll never understand it so don't bother trying, just ignore them, and they'll go away...

I hope this new installment improves on what they were lacking, I didn't even mind walking to experience the large world of the last game, but the barren empty places just ruined it along with combat and the robot ATM machine like characters. Hopefully they opt for dialogue choices, and also don't let you usae money to become as powerful as you like, cap the level and make skills and such available to certain classes and whatnot. all the hidden missions for rare items are nice and fun, but getting a weapon good enough for the endgame at level 12 ruins it, so maybe they'll come up with a better variety and scale of enemies and dungeons. who knows.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
LordofFever said:
WOW...all I have to say, if the media says it's good then the game is good... fucking hell, he'll never understand it so don't bother trying, just ignore them, and they'll go away...

You forgot the smiley faces to donate the sarcasm!

caveyboy

Scholar
That game is going to be great,i played the morrow wind one,I hope the gameplay is as good(or better) .I know the frame rate and the graphics are going to be at least 2x better.who would hate that game..

corvax

Augur
caveyboy said:
That game is going to be great,i played the morrow wind one,I hope the gameplay is as good(or better) .I know the frame rate and the graphics are going to be at least 2x better.who would hate that game..
yeah yo! faster frame rate is so totally gonna make this game rock!

oherror

Liturgist
my opinion on morrowind was it was fun only when certain mods were installed ie. exploding cliffracer mod and you cheated...ie strength = 400k just because i wanted to carry everything on the map. Then i killed every npc i could find and made every guard hate me....ahh good times....

as far as oblivion i reserve my opinion until i play it...most likely i'll cheat like i did in morrowind. But it might be good enough i won't...but i don't know.

Caveboy what kind of response is that....morrowind one....there is only one morrowind...or do you mean elderscrolls I. Graphics don't make a game great its about story and gameplay, although good graphics don't hurt.

And when you said "who would hate that game"

Plenty

corvax

Augur
oherror said:
my opinion on morrowind was it was fun only when certain mods were installed ie. exploding cliffracer mod and you cheated...ie strength = 400k just because i wanted to carry everything on the map. Then i killed every npc i could find and made every guard hate me....ahh good times....
Now here's somebody who truly knows how to role-play :roll:
Morrowind has great potential if you only know how to control and restrict yourself. That is if you can first overcome all the sterile npc's and wiki dialogue. I had no problem with that as the game is more about eploration than anything. Consequently one can add realistic animal behaviour mods, respect in the guild mods, etc. That way with a little suspended belief you can have a whole lot of fun. At least I did.

protobob

Liturgist
Um, they should do it like nethack and provide genocide scrolls.
Sure coulda used one for them cliffracers.
And those worms.
And the bugs.
And the mudcrabs...

What really sucks about cliffracers is that while you're breaking the game over your knese by combining your orc's 25% magic resistance with a chestpeice with 60% magic resistance that lets you use the boots of blinding speed with only 15% blindness and your ring of constant effect levitation 1 to fly around really fast, you realize that your speed is 244 and the cliffracer's speed is 255 and you EVEN WORSE you realize that cliffracers are immune from attack from above or behind, you have to get down under them to kill them! And since your 30 feet in the air and every cliffracer within a mile is flying right towards you...

...thats when you get the idea for genocide scrolls in morrowind.

I guess there is a mod huh.

Meh.

corvax

Augur
while you're breaking the game over your knese by combining your orc's 25% magic resistance with a chestpeice with 60% magic resistance that lets you use the boots of blinding speed with only 15% blindness and your ring of constant effect levitation 1 to fly around really fast, you realize that your speed is 244
Damn is everyone a munchkin here? No self-control, eh?

As far as mods go you can even make the mod yourself in less than a minute. Basically edit the cliffracers ai to match the one of a scrib and then all you'll have is plenty nice, peaceful, calm, harmless flying birds to look at. It's actually a pretty relaxing sight after a while.

Vykromond

Scholar
I played through the game without any munchkinising (other than what the game shoves down your throat- quick levelups and skill raises without correspondent monster difficulty increase), and then equipped the Boots afterwards. But you don't need to be an Orc with a breastplate to do it; there's a more elegant solution.

Gromnir

Liturgist
Spazmo said:
Tintin said:
Uh, yes it does. Maybe not that specific example since I'm guessing not everyone was in agreement, but if game playing public agrees that the game is good, then the game is a success and is a good game.

I hate to wheel out this tired example, but...

If most of the German populace in the thirties and forties felt that Hitler was the best choice to lead them, does that make him the right choice? Popularity and quality are not the same.

is tired not 'cause you wheel it out all the time, but 'cause it has never really been analogous... and you keep wheeling it out anyways.

the way you measure the success o' popular entertainment is to be seeing if it were popular. duh. can go back and forth all day 'bout what is quality or not, but bethesda, first and foremost, were trying to make a popular game... 'cause popular games make more money. is as simple as that. the GOAL of those folks who makes games is, first and foremost, to make money... and those who buy games want those games to be fun. on both sides you got POPULARITY being the essential characteristic. (ignoring the conspiracy theorists among you who seem to think that that crappy games that nobody really liked becomes popular 'cause of hype alone. HA!)

hitler were elected 'cause the german people thought he would be bestest leader... or 'cause a majority o' germans felt that way, but in the end, initial popularity has only been a small part o' measuring success. is the primary goal of leadership simply to be chosen as leader? maybe for some folks it is, but we doubt that those who vote would agree.

'course, you could turn your dumb example on its head... ask when should popularity be determined. is easy to be a popular leader before you has done anything. so maybe we should mark hitler's popularity after he left office... suddenly. in which case even the german peoples not look so bad in their ranking o' hitler as a leader.

when should you mark popularity o' a crpg that maybe got you 80 hours of gameplay? well, truth to tell, there is a very specific time frame that is important and relevant. game publishers and developers know that if they is gonna continue making games, their title has got to be popular within the first 2 quarters of release. you gotta be popular by end of 6 months or you is a failure... regardless of codexian opinions.

so you can stop wheeling out your dumb hitler crap... never did help your position.

HA! Good Fun!

p.s. our 80 hours of gameplay comment were not meant to suggest that morrowind offered 80 hours o' entertainment… ‘course maybe your average crpg fan is a glutton for punishment. dunno.

Spazmo

Erudite
That's splendid, but would you care to explain how it validates the idea that Morrowind selling well and getting great reviews means it must have been a good game and I should have liked it?

Gromnir

Liturgist
where did Gromnir say that you should have liked it? no matter how "good" entertainmet or art is, we can almost gurantee that some will dislike it. in fact, we do gurantee.

dislike if you want, but measure popular entertainment by the obvious means of gauging popularity... or don't. either way, the closest thing to an objective standard for popular entertainment is POPULARITY... yutz.

HA! Good Fun!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom