Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Why isn't there more of ...

Gostak

Educated
good and proper emergent story sandboxes like ck2? Or are there?

I mean the designer spilled the beans on his recipe:

(which admittedly is not even too hard to glean from the game itself).

Or at the very least some proper good mods for ck2 that strengthen that for real (I feel there are next to none really).
Many more well made decisions that the player and AI chars can take as well and that properly make use of the
personality traits and modding capabilities.

Paradox themselves even seemed to not care enough cf. e.g. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2221348737 in regards
to the beginnings of ck3 (well or historically the DLCs for ck2.

It's really a mystery.

Slaves to Armok II: DF, The Guild 2 Renaissance ... nothing really compares to the quality that ck2 has achieved, but even that still feels lacking.

Because Paradox games aren't games, but money laundering schemes that rely on generating hostages, not fans, who will buy every little single piece of DLC that the swedes make for their game, even if they just change one line of code and that's it.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
You may want to take a look at Dominions 5 (more strategic) or Conquest of Elyseum 4 (more sandboxy).

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Because Paradox games aren't games, but money laundering schemes that rely on generating hostages, not fans, who will buy every little single piece of DLC that the swedes make for their game, even if they just change one line of code and that's it.
theswede0bflw.jpg

Gostak

Educated
Why did you not tell me about this?:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/star-dynasties-–-crusader-kings-in-space.124687/

Codex, you let me down. :(

I spent over a dozen hours in the demo and picked it up.
In parts if not overall I already like this much better than CKII.

I applaud that dev for not caving in to the demands of that "give us all the numbers" faction!
Save scummers here are a sorry bunch, I think!

Also, from a cursory look it's modding capabilities might be better than that of CKII as well!
A shame it did not take off (yet?).

spectre

Arcane
Let me throw you another bone:

There's also shit like Dwarf Fortress, Rimworld and maybe Stellaris. Not sure which way you swing on this,
but you should try your luck more outside General Gaming, cause some of this is rpg sandbox and some is strategy.

Gostak

Educated
Well, indeed actually more something with lots of characters with modeled personalities, moods, opinions, beliefs and relationships
which govern their behavior.
And I want to get to make meaningful choices.
So, I guess more sandbox sim-heavy RPG-leany.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom