Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why is there some Twitch stream embed popup on a thread page?

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I don't know if writing out someone's first name without any other info actually constitutes doxxing, but still, I don't know the context behind your issue. I doubt that DU would do something like that, though.
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/ban-theodora-a-poll.146090/post-8339798
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/ban-theodora-a-poll.146090/post-8340316

Not even the first time he's done it.

There was also a vague suggestion that there might be a Discord group where other info could be dropped or found out, leading me to being doxed entirely.

I agree that a first name isn't a real dox though. I actually argued that it wasn't in the argument that led to the threat. "Reveal" my first name then. Whatever.

My point is, it's safer for users and staff both if that info isn't kept and doesn't come your way at all. Not sure how you would do that. Maybe some kind of Monero wallet or something.

Just a suggestion for everyone's safety and peace of mind. Probably not much benefit in having such info anyway, other than, as you said, the functionality of donations. edit: well, maybe taxes or something. I have no idea how that works in Australia.

Last edited:

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
2rQSmQC.png

who needs shoutbox when you got this guy to talk to

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I doubt that DU would do something like that, though.

ironyuri

EDIT:

Since Taluntain linked his "ad-blockers bad" thread, mainly to just wag his finger at everyone - I decided to read his rules:

WHAT CONSTITUTES A BAD AD?

* Malicious ads. This includes browser session hijackers, auto-installers, trojan/spyware-carriers and the rest of the crap that won't be tolerated here.
* Non-user-initiated audio ads. This means any ads that make any sound on their own, without any action on your part.
* Adult ads. This means any ads with nudity.
* Excessively flashing ads. Any ads that flash ridiculously fast and/or with colours hard on the eyes are bad.
* Pop-ups that make closing them difficult. Any pop ads that don't want to immediately close after clicking the [X] in their window's top right corner are considered bad.

What do you a call a live twitch video that pops up over the post reply button - playing with a 30 second countdown to close it?

:philosoraptor:

Last edited:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I don't know if writing out someone's first name without any other info actually constitutes doxxing, but still, I don't know the context behind your issue. I doubt that DU would do something like that, though.

There was also a vague suggestion that there might be a Discord group where other info could be dropped or found out, leading me to being doxed entirely.

I agree that a first name isn't a real dox though. I actually argued that it wasn't in the argument that led to the threat. "Reveal" my first name then. Whatever.

My point is, it's safer for users and staff both if that info isn't kept and doesn't come your way at all. Not sure how you would do that. Maybe some kind of Monero wallet or something.

Just a suggestion for everyone's safety and peace of mind. Probably not much benefit in having such info anyway, other than, as you said, the functionality of donations. edit: well, maybe taxes or something. I have no idea how that works in Australia.
I get what you're saying, I just don't think that there are any technical solutions apart from perhaps bitcoin and similar cryptocurrencies where someone could send over a donation without the recipient being able to see any identifiable information about the donor. (Not even sure if that's 100% true with crypto either.) Any standard payment methods need to be more or less transparent and traceable simply due to banking regulations. In the past we've also had the option to snail mail donations 1995-style, but with doxxing being a realistic concern around here at this point, I wouldn't give out my personal information for this purpose any more and I expect that DU wouldn't either.

As a quick fix, if you wanted to make a Codex donation but ensure that none of the other Codex staff could see it, you could make a donation via my site at https://sorcerers.net/Supporters/index.php and just mention in donation notes that you want the donation to go towards your Codex account (just specify user name) and I can set you up manually. Donations made via my site are only visible to myself, and for the record, I've never leaked anyone's name or any other personal information.

What do you a call a live twitch video that pops up over the post reply button - playing with a 30 second countdown to close it?
It doesn't intentionally pop up exactly over the post reply button; it was just what seemed like the most sensible of the 4 available corner positions to put it, with both upper ones clearly being more intrusive and moving it left would make it cover the avatars and usernames, which would be even worse. Hence my wanting to replace the current hover spot with a fixed position -- it wasn't my choice to have it where it is currently, the ad provider's hasn't provided me the code for a fixed position on the page yet. This will be changed ASAP.

And I've clearly spelled out a few posts back that 30 seconds is BAD and that we won't be using these ads at all if they can't limit them to, say, 10 seconds max. Muted video isn't any more problematic than other animated ads as far as I'm concerned.

2rQSmQC.png

1yyrdh.jpg
Yes, clearly that shouldn't be happening either.

Firefox, up to date. Still can't close the popup, ever.
I'm on the latest Firefox myself and have no problems... this has to be something on your end, almost certainly an addon. Can you go to Help/Troubleshoot mode and see if it happens with addons disabled as well?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
we won't be using these ads at all if they can't limit them to, say, 10 seconds max.

WHAT CONSTITUTES A BAD AD?

* Malicious ads. This includes browser session hijackers, auto-installers, trojan/spyware-carriers and the rest of the crap that won't be tolerated here.
* Non-user-initiated audio ads. This means any ads that make any sound on their own, without any action on your part.
* Adult ads. This means any ads with nudity.
* Excessively flashing ads. Any ads that flash ridiculously fast and/or with colours hard on the eyes are bad.
* Pop-ups that make closing them difficult. Any pop ads that don't want to immediately close after clicking the [X] in their window's top right corner are considered bad.

?????

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
This isn't a pop-up, there haven't been any actual pop-ups in use here in like 15 years. A pop-up is an ad that opens in a new browser window.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
This isn't a pop-up, there haven't been any actual pop-ups in use here in like 15 years. A pop-up is an ad that opens in a new browser window.
A modal window is still a pop-up. It pops up at the user on top of the usual page, obscuring parts of it.
It functions similarly, yes, but for the purposes of that ad sticky which I've compiled 17 years ago, is not a pop-up, as that refers to pop-up windows. It's not a modal window either, as it does not disable interaction with the rest of the page. But granted, in its present form, it does obscure certain navigation elements, which isn't good. I've already stated that this is something that needs to change.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
On the forums, this ad should now only display inside threads so that it doesn't obscure navigation on other pages. It should now also detach from its corner position and move above the text of the last post on any given page once you scroll down to that point, so it should no longer obscure the post reply button. We'll see how that goes.

I got some feedback from the ad provider and for most of the issues raised, they claim that they haven't had any such reports so far. Also, according to them, the ad is set not to show more frequently than once per hour and even then only if there are streamers starting streams at that point. So realistically that would be a lot less frequent as according to them they've only started offering these ads recently and don't have many streamers signed up yet.

I'll try to get to the bottom of the other issues raised.

Axel_am

Exploring and Enjoying
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don't really get the ad that often. More on my phone than my PC. It's a bit intrusive and the X doesn't really work all the time but I've seen worse.

if anything I find the Ad hilarious as it's always some 0 viewers streams. I would be more annoyed if it was any of the Twitch regulars or the thots. As long as the X button starts working normally I would be fine with having the ad pop up from time to time.

Luka-boy

Arcane
6 potatoes per a dorra, you can check it in the campaign's page
Thanks, man. I've always tried to find that info from the My Account page but never actually clicked on a campaign.

So the lifetime ad-free Codex experience currently costs 250USD. Good to know.

gatorized

Literate

I get what you're saying, I just don't think that there are any technical solutions apart from perhaps bitcoin and similar cryptocurrencies where someone could send over a donation without the recipient being able to see any identifiable information about the donor. (Not even sure if that's 100% true with crypto either.) Any standard payment methods need to be more or less transparent and traceable simply due to banking regulations. In the past we've also had the option to snail mail donations 1995-style, but with doxxing being a realistic concern around here at this point, I wouldn't give out my personal information for this purpose any more and I expect that DU wouldn't either.

As a quick fix, if you wanted to make a Codex donation but ensure that none of the other Codex staff could see it, you could make a donation via my site at https://sorcerers.net/Supporters/index.php and just mention in donation notes that you want the donation to go towards your Codex account (just specify user name) and I can set you up manually. Donations made via my site are only visible to myself, and for the record, I've never leaked anyone's name or any other personal information.

It doesn't intentionally pop up exactly over the post reply button; it was just what seemed like the most sensible of the 4 available corner positions to put it, with both upper ones clearly being more intrusive and moving it left would make it cover the avatars and usernames, which would be even worse. Hence my wanting to replace the current hover spot with a fixed position -- it wasn't my choice to have it where it is currently, the ad provider's hasn't provided me the code for a fixed position on the page yet. This will be changed ASAP.

And I've clearly spelled out a few posts back that 30 seconds is BAD and that we won't be using these ads at all if they can't limit them to, say, 10 seconds max. Muted video isn't any more problematic than other animated ads as far as I'm concerned.

2rQSmQC.png

1yyrdh.jpg
Yes, clearly that shouldn't be happening either.

Firefox, up to date. Still can't close the popup, ever.
I'm on the latest Firefox myself and have no problems... this has to be something on your end, almost certainly an addon. Can you go to Help/Troubleshoot mode and see if it happens with addons disabled as well?
So it's been half a year and this behavior is still going on, and your ads are still breaking your own rules. What exactly do you do with the money your take from people who use the site?

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
I haven't actually received a cent from this advertising provider to date, as for any money I've supposedly taken from you, you'd better file a police report.

There's a sticky in this forum about ads that you can read and inform yourself. For the record, advertising pays for the server the Codex runs on, all the software that we're using, domains, various licences, etc. Most of the work being done here is on a voluntary basis, but I've probably got quite a few thousands of hours of work time invested in the Codex over the last 20 years or so, in everything from server maintenance and administration, work on the site and a lot of work on the back-end of the forums, especially during various upgrades, transitions between major versions, custom development sourcing (before Twiglard came along) and so on. And that's not even counting your run-of-the-mill daily maintenance and administration that I do as a matter of course so that the Codex and the other sites that I run function normally.

I do this as a hobby on the side and run a business in RL, so some issues that aren't priority take a bit longer for me to get to, because I've usually got quite a long list of other things that require my attention more urgently.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom