Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do people hate Oblivion so much?

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
- actual console port, made for xbox 360 first, PC second
- UI designed for a joypad not keyboard and mouse

The UI is bad for both though. Morrowind's UI was done much better, both for the PC version but also for the Xbox version - which is basically the PC UI with each "floating window" being maximized and you cycling between them and using the dpad to focus UI elements/dialog topics.

Silverfish

Arbiter
The video addresses these ideas. I consider it a monumental failure of the system that players seriously recommend gaming it in this manner.

Fair enough, but I enjoy the problem solving aspect of Oblivion. I'd actually like the game a lot less with Morrowind's or Skyrim's leveling.

Fargus

Arcane
I don't hate Goblivion. But the retardAI npcs with FEV bloated faces give the game extremely goofy feeling. Their behavior and never ending smalltalks about mudcrabs. All of it always puts me off. And obnoxious voice acting only makes things worse, because the game is fully voiced by the same 5 people with extremely irritating voices. The copy pasted nature of the world feels lazy. Main story is boring and some moments are just straight up made me question why i even bother playing it through. Like when you have to take a badass stand against invading Mehrunes "army", Sean Bean gives his "we must hold the line or our daughters and sons will be raped by Anhaedra" lil speech, then the whole battle ends up looking like the most pathetic shit ever with 5 people fighting a dozen monsters that don't even spawn all at once because of engine limitation and also consoles, but it presented to you like some sort of judgement day.

That being said Goblivion's gameplay is pretty fun, especially for sneak characters. And questlines for Thieves Guild and Dark Bros are the best in game.

I wouldn't bother playing it today because the modding scene unlike in Morrowind, NV and Skyrim is pretty useless. Last time i played the game it also started crashing really badly with the passage of time.

n0denz

Novice
The main quest was shit, but the faction quests were better than MW's. There was more thought put into them than, "Go here, kill guy. Bring back thing." MW's saving grace for those quests was the character writing for the most part. That and the world depth softened the fetch quest blow.
Now go on and post your reddit reactions, ya dumb monkeys.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah its funny.
Morrowind's Main Quest was great, but the side quests were rubbish.
Oblivion's Main Quest was...passable, but the side quests were pretty nice.

After Fallout 3 though Bethesda forgot how to make good quests, and even then Fallout 3's main quest was pretty shit.
Skyrim's quests, both main and side, were overall pretty mid and Fallout 4's quests weren't much better and arguably much worse.
Radiant Quests are a mistake, but of course Beth ran with them because they are lazy buggers who want their customers to do the work for them.

lvl 2 Blue Slime

Educated
Oblivion kinda embodies the soulless early 2000's ugly 3d graphics and feel. Morrowind has that 90's charm of the low-res textures and animations, but as Oblivion is just ugly.

Losus4

Literate
I wasn't e

"Enchanting skill gone"

You say this despite the fact that you can still enchant items. Do you imply that you would leave Oblivions enchanting system exactly as it is, only with a chance to fail? Imagine closing an Oblivion gate, climb the tower, grab the sigil, get an awesome enchantment, then fail at applying it to an item because your skill is too low. You also don't need medium armor. Most armors in any real or fictional setting are either going to be heavy or light. Spears I agree, but if Bethesda added spears, you'd be whining about no throwing darts. If we're going to attack TES4 for not having spears, are we going to attack TES3 for not having flails?

Don't be intellectually dishonest. Are you not aware of what thread you are in?

This is the why people hate oblivion thread not whataboutism of TES3. TES3 has it's own issues but comparatively the problems between TES 2 and TES 3 are less significant than the problems between TES 3 and TES 4 (or 5 for that matter). My criticisms of 4 does not imply I don't have issues with 3 or that somehow 3 is a perfect game.

So fuck off with your strawmanning bullshit.
I have reported you to the moderation team.

rubinstein

Educated
Swelled faces and shitty level scaling.
Otherwise, it's not tha bad.
oblivion is that bad.
other flaws:
-leveling itself
-spongy enemies. and no, fixing it by abusing leveling or playing on the easiest difficulty doesnt count.
-writing. and i dont mean "i saw a mudcrab today" npc convos, thats bad, but i would consider it a minor flaw that one can overlook. i am talking about something else here. for example watch (watch, dont play oblivion, please) playthrough of the quest the ultimate heist, one of the most memorable quests in the game. occasionaly pause the video and think about the actions the game expects players to do. you will realize its all fucking unnecessarily complicated and full of plot holes. the quest is simply retarded. many quests are like this.
-quest markers. its mostly about how they affect quest design and exploration
-uninspired art direction
-UI
-fast travel

oblivion is rancid. it aged like milk.

janior

Arcane
Patron
-fast travel
fast travel is an old school feature from daggerfall/arena(morrobabies hate it!!)
-uninspired art direction
The Green Rolling Hills of the Imperial Province are beautiful(unlike the dung colored ashlands of morrowind)
-leveling itself
you can fix it with mods or be a realest gamer and accept the hardest gaming challange in CRPG genre
writing is humorous and witty
-quest markers
quest markers save some time so you can get to the cool content faster!

rubinstein

Educated
The Green Rolling Hills of the Imperial Province are beautiful
thats fair. that moment when you finally exit the wretched sewers and youre met with
1*FZUmGm3Essd1h6d-mfV2kQ.png

this is truly breathtaking.

roguefrog

Liturgist
I thought the DLC with the mad god was pretty okay.

Every Bethesda main quest is expected to be awful but with Oblivion it was just more so. So bad I went out of my way to intentionally crafted one of those 100% inviso chameleon rings so I could just walk simulator through the content. I just walked past everything Bilbo-style. Only game I ever did this for..., and yeah there were tons of filler shit I bypassed thankfully. Holy hell do I not envy the guy that has to actually fight his way through this trash content..,

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I thought the DLC with the mad god was pretty okay.

Every Bethesda main quest is expected to be awful but with Oblivion it was just more so. So bad I went out of my way to intentionally crafted one of those 100% inviso chameleon rings so I could just walk simulator through the content. I just walked past everything Bilbo-style. Only game I ever did this for..., and yeah there were tons of filler shit I bypassed thankfully. Holy hell do I not envy the guy that has to actually fight his way through this trash content..,
I did. That quest where you have to fight through an army of dremora within a certain amount of time was bullshit, especially when you factor in the shitty level scaling. I did it at point where the enemies weren't too tanky, but that was only because I gamed the system. I did Shivering Isles at a higher level and those fish men take way too much punishment.

Beth just has a obsession with tanky enemies. Even fallout 3 can be pretty egregious, with Ghoul Reavers being tankier than fucking behemoths or Enclave, who are surprisingly weak to small caliber weapons despite the BoS worrying about piercing their armour.
And those are still not as obnoxious as Clannfears, who I had to use console word : Kill on more than enough times because of their high health pools, damage output and damage reflect.

Its like Beth forgot how to game design or something.

Losus4

Literate
In all seriousness, I have played and modded each TES extensively and with the right mods, Oblivion is the best of the lot. The sad thing is, when you dig into Oblivion construction set, the code for an excellent RPG is in there. For example, there are settings that forbid potion consumption depending on alchemy skill, there are settings to reduce stamina while running, making it more of a intrinsic mechanic as in Morrowind, there is a dialogue tweak to turn enemies hostile if you taunt them enough. Wolfs and other predators don't hunt deer in the base game, but with a single tweak, deer become prey as they're supposed to, making a more dynamic world. There's a ton more stuff right there in the CS, but Bethesda decided to nuke all this potential nuance for no reason whatsoever.

Lemming42

Arcane
In all seriousness, I have played and modded each TES extensively and with the right mods, Oblivion is the best of the lot.
This is a sentiment several people have expressed on here, and every time I have to ask which mods. I've played around with a lot of rebalance and tweak mods and while it is possible to get the combat half-decent, nothing ever seems to overcome the problem of the empty samey dungeons, which is the biggest problem for me.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
In all seriousness, I have played and modded each TES extensively and with the right mods, Oblivion is the best of the lot. The sad thing is, when you dig into Oblivion construction set, the code for an excellent RPG is in there. For example, there are settings that forbid potion consumption depending on alchemy skill, there are settings to reduce stamina while running, making it more of a intrinsic mechanic as in Morrowind, there is a dialogue tweak to turn enemies hostile if you taunt them enough. Wolfs and other predators don't hunt deer in the base game, but with a single tweak, deer become prey as they're supposed to, making a more dynamic world. There's a ton more stuff right there in the CS, but Bethesda decided to nuke all this potential nuance for no reason whatsoever.
You can do all of that, and it will still be the kind of game that you can pause while a sword is being swung at you, eat 50 chicken pies, and absorb the incoming hit.

janior

Arcane
Patron
In all seriousness, I have played and modded each TES extensively and with the right mods, Oblivion is the best of the lot.
This is a sentiment several people have expressed on here, and every time I have to ask which mods. I've played around with a lot of rebalance and tweak mods and while it is possible to get the combat half-decent, nothing ever seems to overcome the problem of the empty samey dungeons, which is the biggest problem for me.
this helps a bit supposedly https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/40392
BUT it adds some new/unbalanced items so it's all a wasted effort

Butter

Arcane
Patron
They keep removing mechanics that would make the dungeon-crawling experience more rewarding (e.g. climbing and levitation). They barely use swimming, even though the game has waterbreathing mechanics from gear, spells, and Argonian passive. It's just awful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom