Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why bugthesda can't design a proper gun?

Iucounu

Educated
Fallout 4's "assault rifle" is actually based on a Lewis Gun's air cooling shroud (firing forces air to rush through it, cooling the gun.
https://collection.nam.ac.uk/detail.php?acc=1992-08-157-1

Yup, you're absolutely on the mark there. I'd never heard of the Lewis Gun, but you can't look at the assault rifle and the Lewis Gun and not see the similarities.
I think it looks more like a water gun for children.

9ted6

Educated
The one and only one good thing Sawyer did was make New Vegas's guns actual guns. The assault carbine isn't some blocky minecraft abomination, it's a mostly proper assault carbine. Maybe it was spite that caused them to make 4's guns look even stupider.
a "hunting rifle" in .32 cal. To hunt what? Rabbits?
Wikipedia lists 15 .32 caliber ammunition types, among them:
The only problem with this is the .32 rifle uses the same ammo as the .32 pistol which is the weakest gun in the game.

Bethesda sucks at everything. The fact that they have been so successful is a testament to the ironic nature of existence.

FO3 did have some decent guns, like the Assault Rifle and the Chinese Assault Rifle.

I hated that Combat Shotty, tho. Its literally a Ppsh with a drum that is too far to work properly, should be way closer to the trigger.
Also always annoyed that we got a glorified Ppsh to replace the ORIGINAL Combat Shotgun, which was a beautiful chromed bullpulp sci-fi looking shotgun.

Also... am I the only one who hates Bethesda's Laser Pistol and Rifle designs? They look like fucking bricks. FO1/FO2 energy weapons had futuristic pulpish look, their laser guns look like laser bricks, more like those stupid 2000s Futuristic FPS blocky guns than something fitting Fallout.

The only good thing about Bethesda re: guns is that they went back to the classic retro guns idea where FO2 and FOT lost the plot and featured a bunch of real-world guns that had nothing to do with Fallout and were often mechanically bad. FN-FAL in FO2 is absolute top kekus - FN-FAL as a low-powered rifle discharging half its magazine in a burst? If you dump half a mag of 7,62x51mm NATO into someone, unless they have fucking Powered Armor, they will be fucking disintegrated and buried in a match box. Assuming you managed to dump half a mag without the recoil breaking your shoulder and making your shots go so wild the entire city gets holes.

So Bethesda went back to basics, but didn't know how to make proper guns. FNV was literally "Here's how it's done retards".

All progression has been streamlined to number gets bigger.
This is not just the gun progression, but also how they do difficulty. HP/DMG number gets bigger, the end.
Cue Fallout 3 endgame being an HP bloat fest.

Their armor mechanics are shit too, they only do DR, whereas FNV uses based DT.
Its a pity FNV went with minimal 5 dmg mechanic instead of going with the Van Buren concept of using Fatigue, and resisted damage going into fatigue. That could have simulated it far better while not making high-level armor completely invincible and still giving us and the enemies bulletproof armor moments.

SMG is only available in 10mm, no 9mm and .45 ACP the most used cartridges of SMG's IRL.
To be fair, in Fallout universe, 10mm seems to be a more popular caliber than 9mm and .45 ACP. Which is a bit weird because a lot of people wouldn't even be able to fire it lol, but let's go with it.

(I actually like how the 10mm Pistol in FNV is actually kinda decent instead of being Le Starter Gun. I mean, its a fucking 10mm round)

I'm actually surprised 5,56 is still the main rifle caliber, considering Divergence pre-dates the adoption of the AR15. Fallout universe unlike ours seems to like BIG BOOLET better. I was actually surprised when the vanilla rifle caliber wasn't an intermediary round akin to 6,5 Lapua, 7,62x51mm or even good ol' .308. Could have done something crazy like a lower caliber M14 esque gun with full auto fire capability.

deuxhero

Arcane
I am partial to the idea Fallout's "10mm" is actually 10x22 (.40 S&W), not 10x25 ("10mm") since it's supposed to have been a LEO cartridge and weaker than .45 ACP in both Fallout 2 and NV+Honest Hearts. With how 9mm never really took off in the US till the 80s, I'm also partial to the idea that 9x19 was considered an unamerican "European" cartridge and the only reason it's present at all is after the Euros and Muslims nuked eachother, American companies bought up a bunch of Resource War surplus to sell as cheap guns. Both things I'm sure I gave more thought to in the last two minutes than Bethesda ever did.

deuxhero

Arcane
Caliber is just diameter (or whole cartridge). Smaller, high velocity, is actually your best bet for pure AP ability. Also F3/4 doesn't have AP rounds.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Caliber is just diameter (or whole cartridge). Smaller, high velocity, is actually your best bet for pure AP ability. Also F3/4 doesn't have AP rounds.
You beat me to it. The big Boogeyman weapons for the Democrats and news media is the AR-15, which typically is chambered for a .223/5.56mm round. That caliber is only slightly larger than a .22LR that people shoot small game with. The difference in "grain" of the .223 and the .22LR is typically 50grain versus 40grain, so there's very little difference in mass as well. 50 grain is around 3.2grams, 40grain is 2.6 grams.

What really makes the difference in these two rounds is the amount of powder and type of powder behind each of the bullets.

deuxhero

Arcane
50 grain is pretty rare. 55 grain is more common. Ammo by price search returns only 39 listings for 50 grain 5.56, most different stores selling a few SKUs, but at least 400 something for 55 grain.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
M855, standard military 5.56, is 62 grain. Caliber really isn't very important on its own anymore except on the extreme ends.

I am partial to the idea Fallout's "10mm" is actually 10x22 (.40 S&W), not 10x25 ("10mm") since it's supposed to have been a LEO cartridge and weaker than .45 ACP in both Fallout 2 and NV+Honest Hearts. With how 9mm never really took off in the US till the 80s, I'm also partial to the idea that 9x19 was considered an unamerican "European" cartridge and the only reason it's present at all is after the Euros and Muslims nuked eachother, American companies bought up a bunch of Resource War surplus to sell as cheap guns. Both things I'm sure I gave more thought to in the last two minutes than Bethesda ever did.

Ahh, those heady days back when .40 was the hot new thing.

Bulo

Scholar
This is not a 10mm bore. Try 12.7mm+. That said, it's even bigger than the 12.7mm pistol from New Vegas

nO4GmQJ.png

Why is it so big? Because it was over-adjusted in order to appear proportional against power armour, power armour which is now much too big, even bigger than it was in the 2-D games

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Ammo by price search returns only 39 listings for 50 grain 5.56, most different stores selling a few SKUs, but at least 400 something for 55 grain.
1.) It's a rounded average to make the numbers simple. A lot of .22LR is 36 grain, but people are more likely to remember and do the math with 40 grain than something like 36. Likewise of doing 50 grain instead of 55 grain.
2.) I said .223 specifically for the 50 grain with the point being "It's got more mass" than the .22LR. More people know what .22LR is and will also be able to see that it's roughly the same diameter as .223.

Yes, I'm also aware that there's 40 grain .223 as well.

Also, I'd like to point out that these are real world examples of ammo in modern times, and don't necessarily translate to Fallout ammo. A 10mm round in Fallout may or may not have the same ballistics as a modern day 10mm round. It's still going to be 10mm in diameter, but that doesn't mean the cartridge will be the same.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom