Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's that game? Don't remember the title? Ask here.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Intriguing, but I can't say I've ever seen a game that went as far as to allow you to customize the wiring. Gearhead (the roguelike) is the only game I know of from that time period that allowed you to customize mechs, does not go that far.

Doctor Gong

Literate
Okay, this might be a obscure one.

Shareware RPG from 1990s/very late 1980s, people lived in in domes (as in American football domes) and the PC went exploring in the wasteland. I may very well me misremembering it as it was the other game in a shareware pack with Moraff's Revenge which I played a lot as a kid.

Doctor Gong

Literate
Looking for the title of this old indie mech game that allowed you to build mechs. Before anyone suggests, it's definitely not Mech Engineer. This game was released between around 2004-2009, back when indie games were the promised saviour of the gaming industry.

Some features of the game that I vaguely remember:
- It lets you really customise mechs down to the circuitry and wiring IIRC
- You get to freely arm your mechs so long as you're able to wire them correctly and you have the parts
- There might be a 2D combat component? I can't remember

This game was obscure as fuck too. I don't even remember how I came across it, possibly while randomly browsing some indie games website. Other than Mech Engineer, this is probably the only other game of its kind. If anyone remembers the title, that'd be great :)
Could it be "Titans of Steel: Warring Suns"

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Looking for the title of this old indie mech game that allowed you to build mechs. Before anyone suggests, it's definitely not Mech Engineer. This game was released between around 2004-2009, back when indie games were the promised saviour of the gaming industry.

- You get to freely arm your mechs so long as you're able to wire them correctly and you have the parts

This game was obscure as fuck too. I don't even remember how I came across it, possibly while randomly browsing some indie games website. Other than Mech Engineer, this is probably the only other game of its kind. If anyone remembers the title, that'd be great :)
Could it be "Titans of Steel: Warring Suns"
Nope it's not Titans of Steel, but thanks!

Black_Willow

Arcane
Guys there is that one game, from the late ninetees, I think it's very obscure, I barely remember anything from it.

So, basically, it starts with a movie that looks like a comercial, but then it turns out that some space-marine looking guys are killing Canadians? And then the city is ruined? Something like that, I don't remember very well.
And in the game you start by getting out of some place that's called "crypt" or something? And you're tasked with finding some "water french fry"? When I'm writing it it sounds kinda absurd...
And you go out to some big desert and there are giant scorpions there.

Yeah, I know it looks like some trippy and super obscure stuff, but maybe somebody remembers its title?
Thanks!

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Alright guys, I have one that I've had sitting in the back-storage area of my mind for a while, let's see if you guys can find out what it is. Given how many details I remember, I'm hoping there's a high chance it can be found. It's also entirely possible I simply dreamed all of this.

This game starts out with an opening exposition explaining that you are a (female) therapist using a cutting edge, quasi-supernatural psychotherapy technique that involves going into people's minds and literally facing their demons for them. Sounds a bit kooky, but from what I remember the game was trying to handle the concept semi-seriously.

It was basically Psychonauts, but a single-player FPS. I don't remember much about the first level, so I'll skip it for now, but I do remember that you obtain one new weapon as you pass through each of the Therapist's patient's minds, the first weapon obtained is a chain gun, and I distinctly remember the protagonist saying "I'm sorry, but that felt good. Like, reallyfuggingood!" after you score your first kill with the new weapon. Okay, maybe the tone wasn't that serious...

The second level is in the mind of a survivor of an accident on an arctic fishing vessel. The pre-mission briefing tells you he developed PTSD and a pathological fear of the cold from this event, being the only survivor of the accident. He checked himself in for therapy after his wife poured some ice down his shirt as a prank, he went berserk and splashed scalding water on her in retaliation. I distinctly remember the sentence "Violent reaction indicates deep psychosis." at the end of the briefing. The level takes place inside the hull of an old abandoned metal ship with lots of twisting corridors. I remember one of the new enemies in this level was a monster with needles in his body called a "Mainliner". I can't remember the gun you get from this level, but we can assume it was an ice-related weapon. The protagonist also speaks again in this level, but I can't remember what she said. She speaks all throughout the game, I believe, so it's not just the occasional Duke Nukem one-liner.

The third level and the last one I can remember is inside the mind of a disturbed office worker obsessed with organization and proper punctuality. The briefing explicitly states he has OCD, but beyond that I can't remember much. The level if comprised of an empty void where you walk along platforms of office equipment, shelves, books and endless papers shifting about. The weapon you get from this level is electricity-themed, and it's around this time the weapon upgrade system comes into focus. I remember being extremely obsessed with upgrading the weapons in the game, because each upgrade came with a brand-new model that added new details, extra parts, and a generally more ornate appearance. I can't remember how the mechanic actually worked, but I do remember running through the third level multiple times to try and upgrade, so it might have been a EXP-based system. This was way back when I was in middle school, so I was at peak OCD at the time, so it checks out that I was hyperfixated on seeing the upgrades. I must have been time-pressured when I was playing this game, so it may have been through a demo, free-weekend, or other special deal that I played it.

Strange thing is, I can't remember anything of the bosses, even though I'm sure they're had to have been some at the end of each the levels.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Cheesedragon117

The concept sounds like something a PS1/PS2-game would cook up, but those systems weren't very good with FPS-games. What platform was this on?

And also, what years were you in middle school? That info helps cut down on the possible years of release.

Scrounger

Educated
That reminds me of couple of games which I never played but really wanted to...Psychotoxic and a Dreamkiller!
Now, I think the second one is the one you looking for...will check it again

Cheesedragon117

Educated
That reminds me of couple of games which I never played but really wanted to...Psychotoxic and a Dreamkiller!

Yep, that was it. I knew it was Somethingkiller, or something along those lines, although I knew, obviously, it couldn't be "Painkiller". What's strange is, I was absolutely certain I played it on Steam, but now I can't find it at all. Perhaps the publisher shuttered their doors some time ago? ....Not on GOG either, it seems. Time to go fishing around on the wrong side of the tracks.

Thanks again, man.

Scrounger

Educated
No problem, your description has unlocked a memory in me as well! Happy hunting!!

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer

Yep, that was it. I knew it was Somethingkiller, or something along those lines, although I knew, obviously, it couldn't be "Painkiller". What's strange is, I was absolutely certain I played it on Steam, but now I can't find it at all. Perhaps the publisher shuttered their doors some time ago? ....Not on GOG either, it seems. Time to go fishing around on the wrong side of the tracks.

Thanks again, man.
It's on the internet archive.

Neuromancer

Augur
Guys there is that one game, from the late ninetees, I think it's very obscure, I barely remember anything from it.

So, basically, it starts with a movie that looks like a comercial, but then it turns out that some space-marine looking guys are killing Canadians? And then the city is ruined? Something like that, I don't remember very well.
And in the game you start by getting out of some place that's called "crypt" or something? And you're tasked with finding some "water french fry"? When I'm writing it it sounds kinda absurd...
And you go out to some big desert and there are giant scorpions there.

Yeah, I know it looks like some trippy and super obscure stuff, but maybe somebody remembers its title?
Thanks!
No sorry, it doesn't ring a bell.

But really, who really wants to play such an obscure and strange game?
No-one on this site I guess.

Doctor Gong

Literate
Okay, Here one I been trying to find again.

-- It was science fiction Game from the early 1990s, MS-DOS game.
-- More of a adventure game
-- the game allowed you in the early part of the game rip off a arm of a bad guy then beat him to death with it (This is why I recall it, as it was surprisingly violent (and really cool in my teen mind.)
-- opening portion of the game was exploring some sort of base, when you got to a spaceship to take off, it would blow up unless you disarmed a bomb under the wing, so you had to play a minigame to disarm the bomb.
-- it was reasonably graphic intensive for the era, as I recall the families computer had a hard time to play

Sorry I can't give more details,

Edit: This game is Bioforge (1995).

Last edited:

Gandalf

Arbiter
I'm looking for a PC or DOS game from the 1990-2001 that looks like an isometric Subspace. The graphics looked like the kind of cool pixel art from the amiga. The art quality was very good, like in the first X-COM. You could play against another player and I think it was on split screen. I don't know if it had a single player mode. You flew over grass and I think there was also a level with a brown ground. Vehicles floated above the ground and rocked coolly when moving, which gave a more realistic effect. Even to myself I think it might even have been hovercrafts. I remember finding this title a long, long time ago and even saving the name for myself, but I changed computers and lost access to the name. I can't find it anywhere. The game may have had a German or Dutch develper.

JDR13

Arcane

Shareware RPG from 1990s/very late 1980s, people lived in in domes (as in American football domes) and the PC went exploring in the wasteland. I may very well me misremembering it as it was the other game in a shareware pack with Moraff's Revenge which I played a lot as a kid.
Do you remember anything else about it? What kind of view did it use? Top-down? Side-view?

Doctor Gong

Literate

Do you remember anything else about it? What kind of view did it use? Top-down? Side-view?
top down view, but I suspect in the billions of shareware shovelware this is long forgotten.

Gandalf

Arbiter

top down view, but I suspect in the billions of shareware shovelware this is long forgotten.
Those domes doesn't ring a bell, I am afraid. Is this maybe Scavengers of the Mutant World or Burntine by Max Design?

Doctor Gong

Literate
Sorry, it not that. Also don't worry as the game wasn't special, and since I might be replaying Myst/Riven for the first time in 20 years it not like I will have time to play other games anytime soon.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
This one has been bugging me for years... I didn't find the game enjoyable (or memorable enough apparently) to play it much so the details are very blurry.
  • PC game from the mid-to-late 90's.
  • Cyberpunk setting and aesthetic, similar to Syndicate. I believe that you control a single character rather than a group however.
  • Has a vaguely isometric perspective, with a fixed camera and pre-rendered backgrounds. Characters were polygonal; basically, the style that was popular through the PS1 era.
  • I seem to recall something about a ship crashing at the start? Or some kind of police drama?
  • I seem to recall it was by an Australian developer, but doing a search based on this didn't turn it up...

EDIT: Well holy shit, I just did a search for "australian cyberpunk 90s game" and found it on Wikipedia. The page was created only end of last year, which explains why I never found this before! Game is "The Creed".

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
This one has been bugging me for years... I didn't find the game enjoyable (or memorable enough apparently) to play it much so the details are very blurry.
  • PC game from the mid-to-late 90's.
  • Cyberpunk setting and aesthetic, similar to Syndicate. I believe that you control a single character rather than a group however.
  • Has a vaguely isometric perspective, with a fixed camera and pre-rendered backgrounds. Characters were polygonal; basically, the style that was popular through the PS1 era.
  • I seem to recall something about a ship crashing at the start? Or some kind of police drama?
  • I seem to recall it was by an Australian developer, but doing a search based on this didn't turn it up...

EDIT: Well holy shit, I just did a search for "australian cyberpunk 90s game" and found it on Wikipedia. The page was created only end of last year, which explains why I never found this before! Game is "The Creed".
This game looks pretty interesting. Not finding a whole lot on it, not even any screenshots on mobygames, but it's on my abandonware at least.

Modron

Arcane

Worth throwing out Megamek I suppose even if it's most likely not the answer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom