Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What's been the most disappointing RPG you can think of?

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hack and slash is usually mindless action clicking "awesome buttons" mowing down hordes of enemies. You absolutely can't press X to win in Underrail.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity
Divinity: Original Sin I & II
Mount & Blade: Bannerlord
Cyberpunk 2077
Fallout 4

Dr1f7

Scholar
#1 is DA2 I think that's the first game I ever pre-ordered, having liked DA:O so much, and totally avoided all spoilers before it released. Imagine my fucking surprise in the first 10 minutes of that game I'd been bait and switch'd
#2 is probably KOTOR 2. Not because it's bad, but because it has so much unrealized potential being released totally unfinished. Game still pisses me off, it should be a 10/10 but in its released state it's more like a 6/10
#3 is both the D:OS games they had so much hype I picked both up, tried multiple times, and I still don't see any redeeming qualities

Lots of people hating on NWN but I think it's really good and unique if you play it as intended (custom co-op campaigns), but I understand disappointment if that's not what you were expecting

Erebus

Arcane
I've never played DA2, but it must be really shitty if it's left people disappointed compared to the previous game. Outside of the pretty cool Dwarf Noble origin, DA:O was average at best and often very boring. I'd rather replay NWN 1 OC than give it another try.

...Okay, maybe not NWN 1 OC. Let's say NWN 2 OC.

Dr1f7

Scholar
DA:O was often very boring tbh but back then it was easy to get into, and came built in with a hot goth gf

Shaki

Arbiter
Pillars win easily, super hyped after a long time with nearly 0 RPGs, and we still thought Fagsidian can make decent games back then. It was a massive disappointment.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Pre community Patch Gothic 3, Risen 2, Elex 2, Dragon age 2, Witcher 2, Divine Divinity 2, Konung 2, Deus Ex Mankind Divided (what is it about disappointing sequels?),Diablo 3,4, NumaNuma (borderline scam), Pre White March PoE, Cyberpunk, last third of BG 3.

Arbiter

Scholar
Oblivion - a huge step down after Morrowind. Exotic setting replaced with bland fantasy world contradicting earlier lore. I recall being very impressed with Morrowind dungeons featuring flooded areas. None of that in streamlined Oblivion.

Diablo 3 - purchased on release for a full European price (60 EUR IIRC). It was the end of Blizzard for me, a top down WOW.

Fallout 3 was bad but I was fully expecting Oblivion with guns.

Mass Effect - BioWare dropping all pretense of making RPG games.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I kind of liked Dragon Age Origins when I first played it because we were in an RPG drought.

But at the end, I felt drained.
It gave me trash mob PTSD.

So, so, so many trash mobs. The encounter design is utter shit. 99% of encounters are copypasted, just pure tedium to go through. And it doesn't even have a point - your HP and mana regenerate fully after the fight! It's not like the trash mobs actually drain your resources. They only drain your time, and your joy.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
DA2 easily one of the worst things I ever wasted money on. Ultima 8 is a close runner up. I also remember feeling pretty cheated with Return to Krondor.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ultimas 8-9 were disappointing. But by the time of Ultima 7 I had already realised that buying any game without reading some reviews first is useless. So I bought them at a sale later.
If we go back to really old but traumatising shit, Heroes of the Lance takes the cake. That was like WTF I thought this is an RPG? Green bars instead of numbers? I think it was also the first game after SSI had bought the rights to make AD&D computer games, and expectations were high. A bonus fact: Origin was bidding for the same rights but lost.

From the newer shit it's Oblivion and PoE which I backed on KS. I also backed Bard's Tale IV which sucks, so I haven't been backing much ever since.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oblivion. And it'll always be Oblivion because I'll never let myself get that excited for a game again.

Arbiter

Scholar
Wizardry 8 when it came out. It simply doesn't have the magic of D.W. Bradley's W6 & W7. Had to wait for 20 years for something similar to come out (Grimoire and currently in development, Mystic Lands).

Dungeon Lords did not turn out particularly good so Bradley was likely burned out at that point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom