Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder What Would You Think If Owlcat Switch to Turn-Based Only for All Future Pathfinder Games?

Turn-Based Mode only for all future isometric pathfinder adaptions from Owlcat... Yes or No?

• Hell Yes!!

Votes: 54 57.4%
  • F**k No!!

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
I wouldn't be surprised if Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous ends up being the last Pathfinder isometric crpg that has a real-time-with-pause combat mode, especially if Owcat's first turn-based-only isometric crpg Warhammer Rogue Trader sells well. Assuming more Pathfinder adaptions from Owlcat are on the table (Iron Gods pls), there is a good chance the combat system of these games will be completely turn-based with co-op option to boot, gotta chase that Baldur's Gate 3 money somehow, as shown by Rogue Trader implementing the co-op feature already.

I'm just curious how Owlcat Pathfinder fans gonna react if this indeed turns out to be the case? Personally, it's a non-issue for me, since I dropped Wrath of the Righteous in the middle of the Siege of Drezen after I got sick of the excessive amount of trash encounters the game keeps throwing my way on nearly every map, so a turn-based-only combat system for future Pathfinder adaptions from Owlcat will hopefully mean less trash encounters this time around.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't mind either way. It's all about execution. I do think that if they do another Pathfinder sequel/game, they will want to add co-op, as it seems to be the hottest trend.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's a good idea. But... -looks at Rogue Trader thread talk about combat-

:thisisfine:

At least posters there seem positive that Owlcat will fix the game eventually.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I prefer RTwP by a mile, I don't think I would have finished either of the Pathfinder games without it. It was bearable in Rogue Trader but it's glacially slow and dull in their previous two games, plus I prefer the element of randomness that RTwP throws in.

Erebus

Arcane
I would like Owlcat to switch to turn-based permanently, and also to stop making Pathfinder games.

Aarwolf

Learned
Turn based only is ok, but the main problem is that they should stick to existing and tried ruleset (even if bloated one, like Pathfinder) and stay away from trying doing something on their own.

Removal

Scholar
I would prefer if they nailed whole "QA" thing first
Isn't the combat in RT super broken?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Who cares?

Owlcat are fags and their games are shit. They've done incredible damage to this hobby as a whole.
Unfortunately I share the sentiment. I don't think I will ever buy another game from them.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I would prefer if they nailed whole "QA" thing first
Isn't the combat in RT super broken?
It's broken, but for every ability that doesn't work there's another that's ridiculously overpowered so it sort of balances, just in a very chaotic way

Definitely kingcomrade. I just want the execution to be good. Owlcat has shown that they are capable of both. Rather than fret over TB or RtwP, I'd much rather see them focus on improving their AI.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Even if it wouldn't be worth it on its own merits, it would still be worth it for the tears and rage of rtwp fags.

mondblut

Arcane
Only if they add near-instant autocombat instead. If there is any excuse for RTS combat, it's dealing with an onslaught of harmless trash mobs without requiring player input.

Last edited:
What would it change? If the writing is shite, and the exploration is shite, and the combat is shite, what difference do the combat details make?

Now a real time uninstall.exe in Fowlcat games, now you are talking.

Lemming42

Arcane
Turn-based is obviously leagues ahead of RTWP as a gameplay system but Owlcat are circus clowns who cannot conceive of any kind of encounter design that isn't trillions of trash mobs rushing the party (sorry, Owlcat).

TB is king but only when devs bother to make interesting and unique encounters to go along with it. Fifty kobolds bum-rushing you every five steps is dogshit in RTWP and abominable in TB.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Only if they don't go pf2e. Go gurps, or any retroclone or anything but not pf2e/5e.

Going PF2E would actually force Owlcat to deal with their excesses and learn to evolve their ways of making interesting combat. PF2E is a system where trash mobs get destroyed like they are nothing and fights against single tough enemy is where the real difficulty lies. It's also a system with tight maths and just increasingly a boss by 1 level increases its difficulty drastically. So Owlcat would have to be very careful with how they tweak things in that system.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wouldn't be surprised if Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous ends up being the last Pathfinder isometric crpg that has a real-time-with-pause combat mode, especially if Owcat's first turn-based-only isometric crpg Warhammer Rogue Trader sells well. Assuming more Pathfinder adaptions from Owlcat are on the table (Iron Gods pls), there is a good chance the combat system of these games will be completely turn-based with co-op option to boot, gotta chase that Baldur's Gate 3 money somehow, as shown by Rogue Trader implementing the co-op feature already.

I'm just curious how Owlcat Pathfinder fans gonna react if this indeed turns out to be the case? Personally, it's a non-issue for me, since I dropped Wrath of the Righteous in the middle of the Siege of Drezen after I got sick of the excessive amount of trash encounters the game keeps throwing my way on nearly every map, so a turn-based-only combat system for future Pathfinder adaptions from Owlcat will hopefully mean less trash encounters this time around.

It's already how I play them. I played Kingmaker with the TB mod and then later, they just implemented it as a toggle anyway with official support in both. Whether they think it remains to be worthwhile developing both modes or not is another question. If they did though, it'd be nice if they tightened a few things up with encounter design and stats, but whatever.

It'd also be nice if they'd scope projects out so they'd release in a reasonable state from beginning to end instead of what they've been doing so far. Assuming they want to sell anything in the first year or so of release anyway.

I would personally like to see them keep both TB and RtwP. I have nothing against RTwP when implemented well. I mostly play that way in Pathfinder.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
It's far more important that they learn some encounter design and how to script AI that isn't obviously retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom