Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What would you think if Larian makes Arcanum 2 next?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have three feelings about this. In the following order.

Machocruz

Arcane
apocalypsenow-horror.gif

Shaki

Arbiter
Holy fuck, if Larian cuck squad is ever allowed to desecrate Arcanum, then human civilization is truly over

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Larian has no need whatsoever to make an Arcanum game.
ss_a631bc54f3e4856178abbdd58b82dc7425f4edaf.1920x1080.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Larian doing Arcanum is utterly fucking retarded. I still wouldn't mind them at least attempting something in the Ravenloft setting.

Harthwain

Magister
I am personally dying to experience Arcanum's unique blend of Tolkien-esque fantasy and steampunk tropes again, and I enjoy Baldur's Gate 3 despite some of its cringes, so I wouldn't mind if it turns out Arcanum 2 is Larian's next project. What about you?
Having an attempt at Arcanum is better than it being dead. At least it will provide a spectacle, if nothing else. This is also why I don't mind gaming studios getting Warhammer license left and right. That said, I can't really name a studio that would be better than Larian at this moment (if only in terms of reactivity alone).

I mean, I wouldn't trust even the original makers of Arcanum with Arcanum 2. Not when we all got was the goddamn Outer Worlds. ZA/UM comes to mind (at least on the narrative/reactivity side of things), but I doubt it is the same studio it was after kicking out its major figures (who were largely responsible for the conception of the game and shaped its development).

Mauman

Learned
There can't be an Arcanum 2 because the Arcanum verse uses deliberate value dissonance for it's setting, and that's what makes it truly special. It was made in a time in which we could make interesting stories and fiction based on uncomfortable real world topics (much like Deus Ex) and have them with more nuance than "hur hur NAHHHZZZIIISSS BAAAAAD" .

The best we could hope for now is a butchered parody of Arcanum. A Blue haired landwhale serial killer wearing the skin of the original Arcanum.

Leave Arcanum alone.

Last edited:

0sacred

poop retainer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Swen has stated many times he really likes Ultima and you know what ? I would trust him with that series. Let him do one.
Ultima always had a bit of goofy stuff, it would be an ok fit. Yes Arcanum also had humour and sheep fucking but it also had a really solemn atmosphere, something Larian couldn't do if their lives depended on it.

Mauman

Learned
Ogre Island 2.0
All mocapped.
Gnomes were kikes, while half-ogres are niggers/race mixed mutts.
Furthermore, the gnomes control the lion's share of industry in Tarant/Unified Kingdom...
I thought the half/orcs were supposed to be the blacks?* Or is this a case of both? :stupid:

*pretty much the only time this argument from the urinalists I can think of that actually holds water. Orcs were pretty much spanish conquistadors back in earlier dnd and now they're basically barbarians from Germania. In other words, both WHITE cultures. Anytime I see some dumbass say orcs==blacks, I want to bitch slap the racist fucktard.

And as a side note, the game very much wanted you to be in favor of the orc workers. Though it didn't shy from the fact that many orcs were also violent and more or less bandits. Like I said, NUANCE.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I would play it and probably enjoy it a good bit, although not as much as the original, much the same as I did with Baldur's Gate. I'd prefer them to do Arcanum or really anything else rather than returning to Rivellon to be honest; I enjoyed D:OS2 well enough and thought D:OS1 was okay, but when left to their own devices with their own IP a lot of the gameplay decisions they make for turn based combat make the games tedious after a while.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Don't care. BG3's writing put me off Larian for good. Don't even care if the gameplay is good anymore, can't deal with that shit.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No way.

In this Baizuo infected world, where HP is politically incorrect, just imagine if BAizuo game journos discover about how Arcanum portrait Gnomes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom