Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic What is the most overrated cRPG on the codex?

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
cRPG's?
Of course, you can do the
usual fantasy-type things in
this game, cast spells. add new
characters, visit Garth's
Equipment Shoppe, or simply
recopy the character disk, for
kicks!
If I sound flippant, then I
am. I find that once you've
played one of these, you've
played the lot give or take a
few points for
implementation.

(From the Bard's Tale 1 review in C+VG, February 1987)

Sykar

Arcane
From a technical point of view you can freely move through the world and there is no level scaling.

Underrail has levelled NPCs and loot. It's minor, but it's there.

Don't believe me? Try looting electronic containers near the rathound dude in SGS caverns some 10 levels too late.

Try killing the group of 3 thugs near Junkyard's slums earlier and then later.

The loot is also generated from levelled lists. There's no fixed loot, except for very select cases.

It does not scale to your own level though. It is tied to the difficulty of the container/level of the area.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
It does not scale to your own level though. It is tied to the difficulty of the container/level of the area.

Then the level's difficulty scales with the player. Open the container now, it has bad loot. Leave it and come back later, it has better loot.

Gerrard

Arcane
Wow. That Top 101 with down voting actually restores my faith in RPG Codex a bit. I don't want to frequent a forum that considers Twitcher 3 the 15th greatest RPG of all time.
campaign_divinityos.png
campaign_projecteternity.png
campaign_tidesofnumenera_cmcc.png
campaign_dos2.jpg
campaign_poe2.png

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow. That Top 101 with down voting actually restores my faith in RPG Codex a bit. I don't want to frequent a forum that considers Twitcher 3 the 15th greatest RPG of all time.
campaign_divinityos.png
campaign_projecteternity.png
campaign_tidesofnumenera_cmcc.png
campaign_dos2.jpg
campaign_poe2.png

Yeah, in case you're not aware, I got those before the games were released so I wasn't aware of their quality. Numenara is shit and I dropped it. Pillars 1 is bland and I dropped it. I was enjoying DOS 1, but not enough to finish it. I might go back to it later. The sequels I haven't gotten to yet.

Just because I bought shit games, doesn't mean I come to this site to praise said shit games. Unlike some people.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I want to also put in a vote for Fallout 2 since it started the decline of the franchise and needed another 6 months in the oven to really be GOAT.

Falksi

Arcane

Yup.

Witcher 3 literally took everything shit about the 5 years before it, and fueled a trend to implement all those shit things into as many RPGs as possible.

The fact that Assassins' fucking Creed games are classed as RPGs now stems from that trend too.

The game shouldn't be anywhere near the 'Dex top 100, never mind in the top 15. It's pure decline.

Funposter

Arcane

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
I personally downvoted DA:O on the basis that I've never played through any other RPG three times and been unable to remember anything about it. It's not divisive, it's boring.

If you finished a game three times and cannot remember anything about it, maybe you just have bad memory.

On the plus side, each replay feels like the first one...

:happytrollboy:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member

Then the level's difficulty scales with the player. Open the container now, it has bad loot. Leave it and come back later, it has better loot.

Are you stupid or outright retarded?

I said that Junkyard Slums thugs drop steel combat knives when player is low level, but drop shock steel combat knives when he's high level. How you concluded from this that I'm retarded is a mystery.

And yes, you can visit the area, keep an enemy alive, then come back and high level. Kill that enemy, and grab higher-level loot. So the loot isn't fixed at the time you first open that area either.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
Listen up dumbfuck, I have more than once forgot to clean out the area west of Blaine. It never mattered what level I was the enemies were always low quality gear and pathetically weak when I went there past level 10. Shock knives prove nothing. Important is the quality of the gear and that is tied to the enemy level which is tied to the area and is fixed. This for example makes cerain quests like the Borrower quest for Camp Hathor is A LOT easier when you do it at level 15-16 instead of 8-10 when it is first accessible after Depot A.

So again, Underrail does NOT scale to your own level. The areas and containers are fixed as are the enemies regardless at which level you go there, in that regard it is like Gothic. Any electronic lockbox or locker has exactly ONE difficulty that NEVER changes regardless which level you visit the area.

What can change are certain monsters spawn of a stronger variant when you up the difficulty like the shadow crawler near Rathound King being upgreaded to a death stalker.
Now do us all a favor and shut your ignorant mouth.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Listen up dumbfuck, I have more than once forgot to clean out the area west of Blaine. It never mattered what level I was the enemies were always low quality gear and pathetically weak when I went there past level 10. Shock knives prove nothing. Important is the quality of the gear and that is tied to the enemy level which is tied to the area and is fixed. This for example makes cerain quests like the Borrower quest for Camp Hathor is A LOT easier when you do it at level 15-16 instead of 8-10 when it is first accessible after Depot A.

It proves that loot generation takes the player's level into account when generating enemy inventories and container contents. Something that's a common misconception on the Codex. So high-tech zones such as LEMCO should be done last.

I never said that the level scaling ruins the game by the moral equivalent of spawning lowly highwaymen in glass armor. For someone calling me a retard and a dumbfuck, you have plenty of reading comprehension problems. Or more simply, a harmless observation yanks your fanboy chain.

Any electronic lockbox or locker has exactly ONE difficulty that NEVER changes regardless which level you visit the area.

False. Kill the SGS outposts crossbow dude. Save. Unlock and loot the boxes, take note of the loot. Reload, leave the box alone. Come back at level 25.

Last edited:

Sykar

Arcane
False, dumbfuck. Go to Blaine as soon as you can. Clean out the west area. Reload leave it alone until level over 9000. See what you get this time.
Go to Camp Hathor at level 10. Do the mine. Reload, do it at level over 9000. Come and tell me how much it has scaled to your level.

Falksi

Arcane
Just to slag The Witcher 3 and it's core audience off some more, if you want an example of how fucking retarded normies are ask them "recommend me an RPG?", and loads splurge out "Witcher 3!" like the dribbling Harvey Price clones they are. Totally fuckin oblivious to the fact that there are two entries before that, and that some plot threads and characters which run right throughout the entire series.

It's like asking "recommend me some space opera films?" and the silly cunts replying "Return of The Jedi!". Yeah fuck Vaders reveal and all that, and fuck Geralt's Triss-Yen love triangle or flashbacks to the Wild Hunt etc. just go straight in for the finale coz dumbz.

Get that Ubisoft wanabee piece of shit out the top 100 'Dex RPGs now.

Codex Year of the Donut
Blobbers are not CRPGs
What's wrong with blobbers?
Gary Gygax said:
As false to the game form as the pre-scripted “story,” is play that has little more in it than seek and destroy missions, vacuous effort where the participants fight and kill some monster so as to gain more power and thus be able to look for yet more potent opponents in a spiral that leads nowhere save eventual boredom. So pure hack and slash play is anathema to me too.

Tactical, and strategic, play is a fine addition to the RPG, and if it is in-character, something I see as desirable, In this category fall such things as exploration, economics, politics, and even intrigue.

It's not blobbers per se, it's that they tend to fall into this category far more than any other cRPG subgenre. Games like Wizardry 8 are obvious counterexamples.

Aemar

Arcane
Witcher 3 literally took everything shit about the 5 years before it, and fueled a trend to implement all those shit things into as many RPGs as possible.
Witcher 3 is not even an RPG to begin with.

Most overrated RPG ever: Planescape:Torment.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom