Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry What is the best mainline Wizardry game?

What is the best Wizardry game?

• Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

• Wizardry II: The Knight of Diamonds

• Wizardry III: Legacy of Llylgamyn

• Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna

• Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom

• Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge

• Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant

• Wizardry 8

Results are only viewable after voting.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Wiz 1-5 and Wiz 6-8 are almost different sub-genres, with very different goals, it's unfair to compare them. The old ones are all about that go deeper/return to town conflict, managing resources, drawing maps and trying to make as much progress as possible. They are extremely tense, nerve-wrecking and really unique. The newer ones are much closer to traditional RPGs, it's not that different of a formula from Might & Magic, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master, Wasteland, and even Icewind Dale.

If you put a gun to my head and ask to choose only one, I would pick Wiz 7 (although I LOVE the start of Wiz 8). But Wiz 1 is still an amazing classic in what it proposes, and Wiz 5 is that formula polished to its highest point (at least in the west). And Wiz 4 is just pure madness.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
The old ones are all about that go deeper/return to town conflict, managing resources, drawing maps and trying to make as much progress as possible.

The newer ones are much closer to traditional RPGs, it's not that different of a formula from... Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master

Way to sabotage your own point :roll: The mamba games are no different from the first Wizardries, sans the "return to town" part for the absence of one. Which, dare I say, purifies the concept even further, leaving you alone against the dungeon with no safe space to retreat to.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The old ones are all about that go deeper/return to town conflict, managing resources, drawing maps and trying to make as much progress as possible.

The newer ones are much closer to traditional RPGs, it's not that different of a formula from... Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master
Way to sabotage your own point :roll: The mamba games are no different from the first Wizardries, sans the "return to town" part for the absence of one. Which, dare I say, purifies the concept even further, leaving you alone against the dungeon with no safe space to retreat to.
No, they are fundamentally different. The return to town part drastically changes the entire experience.

When you have a town, the entire game is balanced so that you have to constantly return to town to heal, rest, level up and equip yourself. It changes from a linear exploration to a game of "expeditions", where the further away you go, the more dangerous things are. Moreover, you HAVE to return to town to be safe, so you have to manage resources extremely well, not just to explore new areas, but also to be able to get back to safety.

Without towns there might be no 100% safe spaces, but the danger & resource management is MUCH easier, since you can rest inside the dungeons. And resting inside dungeons is a mechanic that few games manage to do properly, it usually relies too much on RNG to decide if you fully rest or get slaughtered by a surprise random encounter. Some games have hunger or resting supplies, but they are usually very plentiful.

Old Wizardries don't have that bullshit, if you are half-dead and poisoned on Lv 5, you have to crawl back to town somehow or lose everything. If you ever done that, you know it's an entirely different experience.

Cokezero1

Barely Literate
I have weird feelings about the Wizardry series. The first Wizardry game I ever played was Wizardry V on the SNES. On a Friday evening back in 1995, I rented it from a video store because I thought the front box art looked really cool. This video store only used a copy of the front of the box art in a plastic case, so I couldn't see the back of the box art to get an idea of what the game looked like. I had absolutely no idea what the Wizardry series was, how it played, or that there were previous entries in the series, my young self didn't connect the fact that I rented Wizardry "V" and it was the 5th installment of the series lol. When I started up the game and found myself in the castle, I was like wtf is this garbage, it didn't help that the game I rented came with no instruction manual, they always got lost at this video store. I was pissed off because I wanted some shooter action with spells and stuff, I was imagining Contra III but with wizards lol. I promptly turned it off and went back to some Street Fighter II, Mortal Kombat, and Killer Instinct.

Not sure what it was the next day that made me try Wizardry V again before I returned it to the video store later that night. Probably mad that I wasted a few bucks on a game that I didn't even power on longer than 5 minutes. So I said screw it, let's see where it goes. I loaded up the game, still no idea what to do, and eventually found myself in the training grounds and trying to create a new character. I think this character creation is what "hooked" me in the sense that I found it rewarding trying to build a custom character. This was new to me, I had never played any RPG game like this one before. I was always used to action/fighter games where you load up, hit start, and start kicking ass or blowing stuff up. Then something happened while trying to create a 3rd character...I think I wanted to make a thief, but when I selected my race and found myself at the stat allocation screen...my available stat points were 48...I was blown away and thought something went wrong with the game. Becuase my previous two character both only rolled with 9 available stat points to add. When I started allocating points I saw several new classes I had not seen before and I was once again "hooked" and wanted this to happen with all my characters.

I ended up spending the entire weekend rerolling over and over and over trying to get a high roll on my stats. 2 days later, I finally entered the maze with 2 samurai, 1 lord, a thief (never rolled high enough to discover a ninja), a cleric, and a wizard. Exploring this dungeon was both exciting and scary, I remember freaking out when one of my samurai died lol. I got so hooked on the game after exploring the dungeon further and learning new things, I started calling the Nintendo Power Hotline for tips lol. Oof, my mom got so pissed at me! The game counselors kept giving me tips and secrets that just made me even more addicted. My older brother saw how much I loved the game, and actually went out and found a copy at the store and bought it for me so I could stop paying the rental fees for it. And thus started my love for Wizardry V. So this brings me to my "weird feelings" about the series. In later years, I would try a few other games in the series, but each time I found it boring as hell. I could not find that same love that I had for V. I've tried I, IV, VI, and VIII. All of them, I could not play for more than an hour or two before getting bored and turning it off. Yet, to this day, I still load up V every now and then, and do a full playthrough. I wish I could enjoy the other games in the series as I do V, but I can't. It's very possible whichever game in the series I would have tried first would have been the one and only worth playing, and it just happens to be V for me.

I also really dislike the huge difference in gameplay from V to VI+, it changed the game too much for me and really turned me off.

Gamezor

Learned
Wiz 1-5 and Wiz 6-8 are almost different sub-genres, with very different goals, it's unfair to compare them. The old ones are all about that go deeper/return to town conflict, managing resources, drawing maps and trying to make as much progress as possible. They are extremely tense, nerve-wrecking and really unique. The newer ones are much closer to traditional RPGs, it's not that different of a formula from Might & Magic, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master, Wasteland, and even Icewind Dale.

If you put a gun to my head and ask to choose only one, I would pick Wiz 7 (although I LOVE the start of Wiz 8). But Wiz 1 is still an amazing classic in what it proposes, and Wiz 5 is that formula polished to its highest point (at least in the west). And Wiz 4 is just pure madness.

What is the best return to town tension style game period? I mean including jap stuff

octavius

Arcane
Patron
What is the best return to town tension style game period? I mean including jap stuff

Of those I've played (which only include two Japanese ones): Wizardry Chronicle. Easily the most difficult Wizardry games I've played when it comes to general combat difficulty, and it also has it's fair share of one way doors, which can make for a nerve wrecking combo and a huge sigh of relief when safely back in town.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
The best wizardry game is called Elminage Gothic. Now i'm out of this sub-forum because everything here smells like jewish subversion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom