Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What controller do you nerds use?

Elthosian

Arcane
IMO it was a big fucking mistake to when controllers changed to run off internal lithium batteries rather than supporting (rechargable, ie 1.3v) AA. It just turns them into yet another desposible, piece of shit electronics.
You can just replace the battery yourself. It's only a disposable item if you don't know how to open a controller and replace a battery, which is extremely easy. They're not expensive to replace, either. It would be different if a controller had the battery soldered into it or something like that, but it's just a simple plug. I haven't needed to replace any of my DualShock ones yet, but I have taken them out for cleaning purposes. Even Joycons have super easily replaceable batteries. The main complaint I've seen with AA versus internal batteries is that you can't simply swap out the battery when they die, you have to charge it, which could break a gaming session. Personally, I don't see that as much of an issue because I don't play for longer than 5 hours at a time, but if you're doing long marathons and don't want to be tethered for any part of it then I'm sure batteries you can swap out would be nice to have.
Just be aware that if you want full functionality, including the gyro and the touchpad AFAIK, you must play in wired mode (hence my bitching about microUSB) or buy Sony's proprietary USB adapter for 80 dollars.
You can use gyro and the touchpad over wireless. I think if you want to use the headphone jack, that's when you need it to be wired and it can only be the newer version with the lightbar on the touchpad, the one they started selling with the release of the PS4 Pro. I used gyro aim in Doom 2016 with a wireless pad and the touchpad in Witcher 3, and I only remember that it was wireless for both of them because I was sitting on my couch and don't have a long enough cable. Both even work wirelessly on the Switch using the Mission Control homebrew, which is how I've been playing Tears of the Kingdom exclusively, so it would be very strange if they didn't work wirelessly on a PC. The DualSense might be a different story, as I know people have been having issues with them for Rift Apart on PC when they're using them wireless.

Thank you for the info, I will update my post accordingly. Considering this, the DS4 becomes a much stronger option. Can you get them to sync seamlessly with your PC without using any third-party software? I might get a couple out of storage to set up some 4-player Towerfall Ascension game sessions... :bounce:

Any of you guys used the Nacon controllers? They have a wired one. I think I'll get one because it doesn't seem to have hardware related deadzones (like the Logitech ones, wtf) and because wired is better imo. The app seems to make it 100% customizable and it even allows for profiles which adapt the functionalities to different game genres.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought a used original Xbox in December, mainly for homebrew stuff (see some posts i made in the gamedev thread a few months ago) but also playing some games, but the gamepad it came with has a couple of issues - with the biggest one being that the left trigger generates random noise (the potentiometer is broken and didn't do much better when i used some cleaning spray), though it also feels very "stiff" to play (the plastics have degraded).

However fortunately around that time there was a new gamepad by Retro Fighers announced, "Hunter XBOX", for the original xbox:
7ATuXPR.png

(this image has a lot of padding...)

This cost around 70 euros with shipping (57 without), which would be a lot (i paid less than that for the xbox) but it also works with the PC and has both the original xbox white/black buttons as well as the shoulder buttons introduced in xbox 360.

But most importantly it uses analog hall effect sticks and triggers so in theory there'll never be the issues with the gamepads i have. Which is good because even the current gamepad (Xbox one) i use on my PC started having issues recently with both triggers getting a bit sticky (in that they get stuck "pushed" for half a second or so after i release them) and i noticed some slight drift on the left analog stick (it is very small though, pretty much all games ignore it and i only noticed it because a program i was using didn't).

Sadly this was only available for preordering, the actual shipments will start in September so i most likely get it around the end of the year (because IME such things never go well), but considering my current gamepad's state, i do have the feeling that i'll use it more on my PC than the OG xbox :-P (and TBH if it didn't work on the PC i most likely wouldn't have bought it anyway).

If you want to play console games on pc just get a mint condition xbone/series gamepad (the basic ones, not the elite versions) for as cheap as you can find it.

Anything else will eventually give you problems to deal with.

They have gotten more expensive, sure, but tripled?? How? They're £50 in the UK, which is obviously a lot but were they ever £16.67?
Paid about 20 bucks for the x360 one and then the same for the xbone one on some black friday deals.

The Switch Pro controller is actually awesome and more silent as well. Might get that at some point.
Digital triggers. Shit compatibility.

Last edited:

DonGabo

Novice
I bought a gulikit controller to avoid stick drift. They use electromagnetic modules for sticks and triggers. Been using it a couple of months, no issues at all. All my previous xbox controllers had drift, some of them right out of the box.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Digital triggers. Shit compatibility.
Shit compatibility?
With what?

Works fine for me on Linux (though I know the drivers took a while to get into the kernel, but by now they are) and I haven't heard that people were unable to use them on Windows, either.

Or do you mean games not showing the correct buttons, eg. using the normal XYAB instead of Nintendo's awkward YXBA?
That's true, of course, but I don't usually look at the thing while using it...
In fact, I usually get confused when playing a game on the Switch :lol:

Last edited:

beardalaxy

Novice
IMO it was a big fucking mistake to when controllers changed to run off internal lithium batteries rather than supporting (rechargable, ie 1.3v) AA. It just turns them into yet another desposible, piece of shit electronics.
You can just replace the battery yourself. It's only a disposable item if you don't know how to open a controller and replace a battery, which is extremely easy. They're not expensive to replace, either. It would be different if a controller had the battery soldered into it or something like that, but it's just a simple plug. I haven't needed to replace any of my DualShock ones yet, but I have taken them out for cleaning purposes. Even Joycons have super easily replaceable batteries. The main complaint I've seen with AA versus internal batteries is that you can't simply swap out the battery when they die, you have to charge it, which could break a gaming session. Personally, I don't see that as much of an issue because I don't play for longer than 5 hours at a time, but if you're doing long marathons and don't want to be tethered for any part of it then I'm sure batteries you can swap out would be nice to have.
Just be aware that if you want full functionality, including the gyro and the touchpad AFAIK, you must play in wired mode (hence my bitching about microUSB) or buy Sony's proprietary USB adapter for 80 dollars.
You can use gyro and the touchpad over wireless. I think if you want to use the headphone jack, that's when you need it to be wired and it can only be the newer version with the lightbar on the touchpad, the one they started selling with the release of the PS4 Pro. I used gyro aim in Doom 2016 with a wireless pad and the touchpad in Witcher 3, and I only remember that it was wireless for both of them because I was sitting on my couch and don't have a long enough cable. Both even work wirelessly on the Switch using the Mission Control homebrew, which is how I've been playing Tears of the Kingdom exclusively, so it would be very strange if they didn't work wirelessly on a PC. The DualSense might be a different story, as I know people have been having issues with them for Rift Apart on PC when they're using them wireless.

Thank you for the info, I will update my post accordingly. Considering this, the DS4 becomes a much stronger option. Can you get them to sync seamlessly with your PC without using any third-party software? I might get a couple out of storage to set up some 4-player Towerfall Ascension game sessions... :bounce:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "sync seamlessly," but you do NEED to use third party software to get a DS4 to have full compatibility with every game, whether you go with DS4Windows (the Ryochan7 version is best) or Steam.

If you're going to be launching your games through Steam anyway, you don't really need DS4Windows (except for some niche cases like a few emulators), but they both do pretty much the same thing. I haven't used DS4Windows in a while, but last I checked you couldn't save profiles (custom mapping/lighting) per controller, you had to manually assign them, whereas with Steam I think they save the MAC address of the controller to your account and you can name them and everything. Steam Input in general is a lot more intuitive.

There are games, especially more recently, that just support the DS4 out of the box. Two examples that immediately jump to mind are A Hat In Time and Rift Apart. Sometimes, using Steam Input in conjunction with games that already support the controller can cause some conflicts, so you'll want to manually override the setting in Steam per-game to turn it off if the game already supports it anyway.

I think the DS4 can only technically be connected with Bluetooth to 1 device at a time, so if that one device is your PC then it should be relatively "seamless" I suppose. Just push the PS button and if you've got Steam running you're good to go, can even push the button again and launch Big Picture. Personally, I have my DS4 hooked up to my Switch wirelessly, so it's all wired on my PC for now. I personally don't have an issue with the Micro USB connection, never have. Does it get loose over time or something? That's just not an issue I've personally had to deal with.

My other two controllers are upstairs in the living room hooked up to a little Alienware Alpha from 2015, it's a nice little Steam machine. Just launches big picture mode and the controllers work pretty seamlessly after that :)

J1M

Arcane
DualShock 4. Pinnacle of controllers right now, as far as I'm concerned. The DualSense feels super weird in my hands, and at least Ratchet and Clank's adaptive trigger feature makes the controller feel like somebody spilled Sprite on it and couldn't quite get it out of the triggers. The only unfortunate thing about using a PS controller instead of an Xbox one is that not every game has the pictures for PS button prompts, but you get over that eventually. The touchpad on a DS4 or DS though makes it really nice for PC games that can swap between controller and KBM mid-game, so you can use it for extra hotkeys or even things like quick save. When I played Witcher 3, I had the left touchpad set to quick save and the right touch pad set to open up the inventory tab. Something along those lines. Pretty nifty.

I have had my DS4 controllers since the launch of the PS4, so almost 10 years now, and I've never had issues with any of them beyond the rubber on the sticks peeling off of a couple. Simple switch, super easy. I know a lot of people have had battery issues, but that has never been the case for any of mine (I had 5, just sold 2 of them a couple months ago along with all my other PS stuff).

My favorite controller of all time is actually a Wii U Pro Controller. That thing just feels super natural and the way the sticks glide is glorious. Unfortunately mine broke, hopefully I can get another one when my friend goes to Japan, said he would pick one up for me. I know that's a super weird controller for most people, though. I just like it because I'm weird too.

Of course, I'll always use the Gamecube controller if I can get away with it. It doesn't have enough buttons on it for most games, but for the games it does, that thing is just primo. I grew up with it, so it makes sense it would feel pretty natural for me to use.

I'm going to perform an act of necromancy to continue talking about my controller woes. I have an XBOX One controller, a wireless one that works via bluetooth. The "down" command on the d pad is double clickling from time to time which makes me feel I should get another one. I'm thinking of just sticking with this one (it's a negligible issue after all) but I've been looking at some controllers. The Xbox ones have triplicated their price since 2019, holy shit. Even the PowerA ones are expensive, and they actually cost more than what I paid for the original controller I own. The Logitech 310 seems nice but the dead zones make me worry a bit. I'm eyeing a few other, cheaper controllers but build quality and dead zones seem to be shit for almost all of them. Pretty much everyone says anything that's not an xbox controller has shit sticks, and even with the glaring deadzones, the 310 seems to be the best option. So yeah. Any opinions?
I have heard that 8bitdo controllers are pretty good, but I can't confirm that as I've never personally used one.
There's a version with more buttons.

https://www.powera.com/p/nintendo/n...endo-switch-gamecube-style-purple-1507452-01/

451397.jpg

Elthosian

Arcane

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "sync seamlessly," but you do NEED to use third party software to get a DS4 to have full compatibility with every game, whether you go with DS4Windows (the Ryochan7 version is best) or Steam.

If you're going to be launching your games through Steam anyway, you don't really need DS4Windows (except for some niche cases like a few emulators), but they both do pretty much the same thing. I haven't used DS4Windows in a while, but last I checked you couldn't save profiles (custom mapping/lighting) per controller, you had to manually assign them, whereas with Steam I think they save the MAC address of the controller to your account and you can name them and everything. Steam Input in general is a lot more intuitive.

There are games, especially more recently, that just support the DS4 out of the box. Two examples that immediately jump to mind are A Hat In Time and Rift Apart. Sometimes, using Steam Input in conjunction with games that already support the controller can cause some conflicts, so you'll want to manually override the setting in Steam per-game to turn it off if the game already supports it anyway.

I think the DS4 can only technically be connected with Bluetooth to 1 device at a time, so if that one device is your PC then it should be relatively "seamless" I suppose. Just push the PS button and if you've got Steam running you're good to go, can even push the button again and launch Big Picture. Personally, I have my DS4 hooked up to my Switch wirelessly, so it's all wired on my PC for now. I personally don't have an issue with the Micro USB connection, never have. Does it get loose over time or something? That's just not an issue I've personally had to deal with.

My other two controllers are upstairs in the living room hooked up to a little Alienware Alpha from 2015, it's a nice little Steam machine. Just launches big picture mode and the controllers work pretty seamlessly after that :)

So you can just use Steam? That's nice! I might do it like that then. From what you're saying it sounds like they have improved DS4Windows, over the versions I used some 5 years ago, but I like to keep controller management as simple as possible.

And yeah, at least in my experience the microUSB connector ended up getting all loose after a few months, but wireless via Steam sounds just fine from what you've told me. Thanks for the detailed explanation! :love:

There's lots of stuff you can do with Steam's Big Picture mode, even configuring your own deadzones and all.

beardalaxy

Novice
DualShock 4. Pinnacle of controllers right now, as far as I'm concerned. The DualSense feels super weird in my hands, and at least Ratchet and Clank's adaptive trigger feature makes the controller feel like somebody spilled Sprite on it and couldn't quite get it out of the triggers. The only unfortunate thing about using a PS controller instead of an Xbox one is that not every game has the pictures for PS button prompts, but you get over that eventually. The touchpad on a DS4 or DS though makes it really nice for PC games that can swap between controller and KBM mid-game, so you can use it for extra hotkeys or even things like quick save. When I played Witcher 3, I had the left touchpad set to quick save and the right touch pad set to open up the inventory tab. Something along those lines. Pretty nifty.

I have had my DS4 controllers since the launch of the PS4, so almost 10 years now, and I've never had issues with any of them beyond the rubber on the sticks peeling off of a couple. Simple switch, super easy. I know a lot of people have had battery issues, but that has never been the case for any of mine (I had 5, just sold 2 of them a couple months ago along with all my other PS stuff).

My favorite controller of all time is actually a Wii U Pro Controller. That thing just feels super natural and the way the sticks glide is glorious. Unfortunately mine broke, hopefully I can get another one when my friend goes to Japan, said he would pick one up for me. I know that's a super weird controller for most people, though. I just like it because I'm weird too.

Of course, I'll always use the Gamecube controller if I can get away with it. It doesn't have enough buttons on it for most games, but for the games it does, that thing is just primo. I grew up with it, so it makes sense it would feel pretty natural for me to use.

I'm going to perform an act of necromancy to continue talking about my controller woes. I have an XBOX One controller, a wireless one that works via bluetooth. The "down" command on the d pad is double clickling from time to time which makes me feel I should get another one. I'm thinking of just sticking with this one (it's a negligible issue after all) but I've been looking at some controllers. The Xbox ones have triplicated their price since 2019, holy shit. Even the PowerA ones are expensive, and they actually cost more than what I paid for the original controller I own. The Logitech 310 seems nice but the dead zones make me worry a bit. I'm eyeing a few other, cheaper controllers but build quality and dead zones seem to be shit for almost all of them. Pretty much everyone says anything that's not an xbox controller has shit sticks, and even with the glaring deadzones, the 310 seems to be the best option. So yeah. Any opinions?
I have heard that 8bitdo controllers are pretty good, but I can't confirm that as I've never personally used one.

https://www.powera.com/p/nintendo/n...endo-switch-gamecube-style-purple-1507452-01/

451397.jpg
Unfortunately, it doesn't have analog triggers :( that makes it a much tougher sell for me. It also uses AA batteries and I'm pretty sure can't be played wired, which is definitely a cost-saving measure but the controller still costs $60. Just not a good value, in my personal opinion.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! :love:
You're welcome :)

This dude makes good reviews, more than just unboxing and saying it looks nice. Actually tests it with software and all. This particular one is one I've been eyeing on, together with a Gamesir one.

J1M

Arcane

451397.jpg
Unfortunately, it doesn't have analog triggers :( that makes it a much tougher sell for me. It also uses AA batteries and I'm pretty sure can't be played wired, which is definitely a cost-saving measure but the controller still costs $60. Just not a good value, in my personal opinion.

No name AA batteries cost $0.11. Or if money is really that tight you already own rechargeable AA batteries.

It is a literal non-issue, yet oddly comes up in many reviews. You aren't getting your opinions from journalists are you?

Modron

Arcane
It is a literal non-issue, yet oddly comes up in many reviews. You aren't getting your opinions from journalists are you?
Because wireless controllers are pointlessly wasteful maybe? Just include 5 feet of cable and if someone needs more they can get a cable extender.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My Dual Shock 3, and Dual Sense both work flawlessly. I had to install some shit for the DS3. The Sense just works out of the gate. Plug it in, and play. Not that I have used them much for the past few gamesw that I have played.

Trippy

Novice
Nah, the correct answer is you should play everything on this beastly motherfucker:

iu

(A million years ago I actually beat Unreal on this piece of shit :negative:)

beardalaxy

Novice

451397.jpg

No name AA batteries cost $0.11. Or if money is really that tight you already own rechargeable AA batteries.

A $60 controller should not REQUIRE you to play with AA batteries. It needs a wire, at least.

It's also a convenience thing, I just don't want to have a bunch of batteries lying around and always need to go back to the store to buy more when I run out. I already have enough things I need batteries for. Rechargeable batteries are all well and good, but what's the point of having them if you have a rechargeable battery in the actual controller and can just plug it in for a little bit when you're not using it anyway?

ds

Cipher
Patron
This is my current controller:
large_FC900REDBPDZ4Z_main.png

Beyond that I have a Steam controller that I haven't used at all this year and some off brand gamepad where I can't even remember when I last used it. Prefer a M+KBD for anything that has a cursor and/or mouselook / manual aiming.

Oh, and also these - I guess I did play some VR at the start of the year:
ss_f2990a2f0dac00e2c8e8db8b254a841786ccfdb9.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Elthosian

Arcane

451397.jpg

A $60 controller should not REQUIRE you to play with AA batteries. It needs a wire, at least.

It's also a convenience thing, I just don't want to have a bunch of batteries lying around and always need to go back to the store to buy more when I run out. I already have enough things I need batteries for. Rechargeable batteries are all well and good, but what's the point of having them if you have a rechargeable battery in the actual controller and can just plug it in for a little bit when you're not using it anyway?
Main convenience is not having to replace the internal battery down the line, particularly if you’re bad at dissassembling stuff.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom