Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline What controller do you nerds use?

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
No opinion on the Xbox S/X controllers? Are they different/better? I don't know shit about Xbox versions, btw. Which Xbox is the PS5's rival?

I KINDA lean a bit towards Xbox controller due to it being heavier and having a better grip than PS. I'm very weary of non Sony/MS controllers due to owning 2 controllers (one is Steam btw) whose build quality is obviously inferior to the X360. Oh, and 8bitdo is a fucking scam. Garbage quality products. If I wanna retrogame I'm gonna use a modern X360 cuz the SNES replica I have is absolute garbage and diagonals are impossible to input.

ferratilis

Magister
No opinion on the Xbox S/X controllers? Are they different/better? I don't know shit about Xbox versions, btw. Which Xbox is the PS5's rival?

I KINDA lean a bit towards Xbox controller due to it being heavier and having a better grip than PS. I'm very weary of non Sony/MS controllers due to owning 2 controllers (one is Steam btw) whose build quality is obviously inferior to the X360. Oh, and 8bitdo is a fucking scam. Garbage quality products. If I wanna retrogame I'm gonna use a modern X360 cuz the SNES replica I have is absolute garbage and diagonals are impossible to input.
I'm using the Xbox Series S controller on PC (which is literally the same as X version, just white), and the D-Pad alone makes it worth it imo. Now I can't go back to regular D-pads because of how tactile this one feels. Other than that, Xbox controllers are great, weighty, solid build quality, this new generation has grippy material on the handles which is great if you have sweaty hands, it uses AA batteries which is imo better than integrated ones because it increases the longevity of the device, from my experience they are less prone to stick drift (YMMV). The only thing I don't like is the offset layout of sticks, but you have to accept that with Xbox. Keep in mind that if you want to get it, count that you should buy a pack of rechargeable batteries (something like Eneloops), so it might seem more expensive than others. Or just use it wired (they finally switched to USB-C so no more random disconnects, thank god).

EDIT: and just to confirm, Xbox stick precision is miles ahead of 8bitdo controllers, like not even close. Third party controllers simply can't compare to Xbox/PS controllers in that regard.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Here in bananaland the PS5 seems to be cheaper. Strange. It's good to know the D-Pad is improved, my X360 "down" d-pad key has been busted for like YEARS, but it doesn't really matter, I don't play fighting games with that controller. As for the batteries, I have plenty of rechargeable batteries and charges around.

But anyway, from what I read the PS5 is STILL not working on PC without some 3rd party shenanigans. I'm not about to spend money on a headache so if/when I upgrade I guess Xbox S/X it is.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I thinking about getting a new Xbox Series controller, because it just works with windows games. The reason I'm hesitating is that I loath the asymetric thumbsticks. I used symetric controllers for all my life, it will be a hard change.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I use keyboard and mouse. Games that are bad for mouse... I use Keyboard only.

I heard PS3 sixaxis was great, as long as you manage to connect it to PC somehow.

Codex Year of the Donut
found one(Logitech F310) that looks exactly like my old controller I lost, guess I'll go with it
71uo-G-y-b-EL-AC-SL1500.jpg

bought that thing as a teenager, can't believe I lost it :negative:

I'm using the Xbox Series S controller on PC (which is literally the same as X version, just white), and the D-Pad alone makes it worth it imo. Now I can't go back to regular D-pads because of how tactile this one feels. Other than that, Xbox controllers are great, weighty, solid build quality, this new generation has grippy material on the handles which is great if you have sweaty hands, it uses AA batteries which is imo better than integrated ones because it increases the longevity of the device, from my experience they are less prone to stick drift (YMMV). The only thing I don't like is the offset layout of sticks, but you have to accept that with Xbox. Keep in mind that if you want to get it, count that you should buy a pack of rechargeable batteries (something like Eneloops), so it might seem more expensive than others. Or just use it wired (they finally switched to USB-C so no more random disconnects, thank god).

EDIT: and just to confirm, Xbox stick precision is miles ahead of 8bitdo controllers, like not even close. Third party controllers simply can't compare to Xbox/PS controllers in that regard.

You forgot to mention that the new ones also have a Share button!

Also the Xbox and PS controllers have godawful battery life for some reason. I kinda get why the PS5 one does, as its got a whole slew of gimmicks like haptic touchpad, lights, and speakers. My nephew has a PS5 and he has to recharge the controller every 8-10hrs of use. Not to upsell the Nvidia controller but whatever their Bluetooth implementation is, its far beyond what they're doing on the mainstream controllers. It's rated for 60+ hours battery life (in my case its been even more than that) and it either appears to be (or actually manages to be) always connected. There is no momentary wait for the controller to link with the PC.

ferratilis

Magister
found one(Logitech F310) that looks exactly like my old controller I lost, guess I'll go with it

That controller has crazy deadzone on both sticks. If you play anything that requires even a small amount of precision, you'll hate both the controller and the game you're playing. Also, no vibration if you into that sort of thing.

"I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things" or whatever the saying is. Just get the standard Xbox controller, or stick with kbm, at least your experience won't be ruined.

The XBOne controller is by far the most comfortable one I’ve ever used. Can play for hours without hands getting sweaty or cramped. It’s pretty well-documented that the non-aligned analogues are also way better ergonomically. I have fairly small hands (can just barely reach an octave on a piano), but I also really like the size of it as unlike some older controllers it’s very clearly made for adult hands.

Only real negative I’ve experienced with it is that it doesn’t notify you when there’s new firmware available and will just randomly start disconnecting until you update the firmware. Every time it happens I pull out my hair swapping out the batteries two or three times before I realize what the problem is.

and 8 others

Savant
I just bought a PS5 Dualsense controller today. It worked automatically with Steam, and the Bluetooth connection with my laptop was fine.

Mustawd

I was about to suggest it. Bought mine years ago and have had zero complaints. Mine is wired, but a wireless version would be sweet.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Judging from the responses, the Steam controller isn't liked on the Codex either. Tempted to give mine another try, but it felt so weird. Got it for about five dollars when Valve was selling them out.

Judging from the responses, the Steam controller isn't liked on the Codex either. Tempted to give mine another try, but it felt so weird. Got it for about five dollars when Valve was selling them out.

If it still isn't to your tastes, they tend to go for quite a lot on Ebay for whatever reason. New ones over $130+, used in good cosmetic condition for $50+.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The best 'standard' console controller is PS5's one. I just feels amazing.

But Xbox one is just fine.

I'd say the most recent Xbox one is better, the sticks have better grip. But.. both are good and it's up to personal preference i suppose.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have a supposed Xbox controller that's really a Chinese copy. It works great and it looks and feels exactly like a real Xbox controller and it only cost like $10 or something like that.

CanadianCorndog

Learned
I have some Logitech F710 wireless controllers, they are fine but the joysticks are a little too long in their travel distance. I also have a 8BitDo SN30pro which is a PC version of the Super Nintendo controller. I like it a lot but I wish it was 25% bigger. It's made for baby man hands and my grown man hands need to squeeze in to hit the buttons. My son stopped playing his XBOne so I might steal his controllers and try them on PC.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I still have mine, and its younger brother the Rumblepad 2. They are undestructible, great gamepads. Unfortunatley they are wired only.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Never used a gamepad, and I emulate a lot of console games on PC too. If I need sometime a 6 axis gyroscope controller, I map it to my smartphone. The same if I need multi touch controls.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom