Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline UNREAL ENGINE 5

Frozen

Arcane
Why everywhere I see all new games from all companies use this shitty engine?

It looks cheap, generic, plastic, fake AF and just godawful like Unreal version of Gamebryo- I remember Unreal from Mass Effect, you can see it's the same engine with some added fluff.

Character models are like dolls, and it has all those Unreal preset vibes like they re-used assets from older versions (probably did)

If you compare this to Red engine (in TW3 not that fugly Cyberturd) or even as back as Dragon Age Origins (with mods) so much superior visuals. Fuck particles, the textures, models of characters, environments and just fucking everting is better in 10yo engine.

Problem with these in essence ancient facelift to same fucking engine is that you can't do much even if you have competent programmers, it will always have Unreal "look"

I bet they will say it's to "make it easy for programmers and combability (read: console peasants)" but games will still ate resources and took eaons to make just to look like shit.

Now every game out there will look ugly AF, like a Bethesda game.

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
With competent art design and programming teams, you barely see the engine. I think you're focusing on pure laziness which is the real problem. It's strange to think unreal1 has such a strong crossover of code with unreal5. I will agree 90% of modern games and their art design/visual effects look way too busy and shit to me. Somewhat related, seeing that cabin scene with Luis in the RE4 remake, and comparing it to the original was a recent case..

StrongBelwas

Cipher
Patron
Mediocre developers give you mediocre results, no matter the engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom