Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Understanding Roleplaying - The Easy Guide For Dumbfucks

Joe Krow

Erudite
Classic Codex. You can say whats wrong with others definitions but wouldn't dare posting your own. Whatever you do, make sure your definition is narrow enough to exclude Oblivion (god forbid).

The only three things that seperate a crpg from other genres are stats, dialogue, and an inventory system. Its that simple. After that its purely subjective.

Plusses:
Turn based combat
Engaging story
Brancing quests
Alternate endings

Minuses:
Linearity
Predictability
Focus on combat

... of course none of these things effect whether the game is an rpg; just whether it is a good one.

spacemoose

Erudite
Joe Krow said:
The only three things that seperate a crpg from other genres are stats, dialogue, and an inventory system.

supply your resume to bethesda post-haste. they'll enjoy having similar-minded rpg philosophers around

Joe Krow

Erudite
Spacemoose said:
Joe Krow said:
The only three things that seperate a crpg from other genres are stats, dialogue, and an inventory system.

supply your resume to bethesda post-haste. they'll enjoy having similar-minded rpg philosophers around

Wow. You've proven all three of my points.

1. You're too scared, cowardly, and/or lame to post your own definition.
2. You don't know much but your sure Oblivion is no rpg. (a bold and insightfull opinion... not)
3. Your opinion is like your asshole. Your personality is like your asshole.

Well done.

Thydron

Liturgist
Joe Krow said:
1. You're too scared, cowardly, and/or lame to post your own definition.

I posted mine but noone seemed to care :cry:

:P

Ivy Mike said:
I don't see the need for ANOTHER term to capture what should be widley recognized. Other than that, your list is spot on.

I just thought changing the name to role creating game would stop all the "in every game with a character you play a role" arguments and actually captured what the codex seemed to like in game better than role playing game.
but whatever, like you said it is semantics, but hell - isn't this all semantics? :o

Xi

Arcane
Roleplaying and Roleplaying Video Games are two different concepts entirely. I think the dictionary should make this distinction. Also, it should change to combine both words into a single word as that is generally how most gamers will type it.(Myself included, fuck you english!)

Roleplaying, within the context of a video game, boils down to being able to impact a story without rails. The decisions one character makes are solely based on that character's class and persona. The game must offer a multi-layered branching story that is completable regardless of direction. Roleplaying video games allow the player to decide what the "hero" is.

Lumpy

Arcane
WTF?
People have been posting their own definitions for years - just check any of the threads from Project Monkey.
Roleplaying - being able to invent a role and act accordingly. Period.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Joe Krow said:
dagorkan said:
Yeah, Joe is cool. I wonder which idiot moderator did that... :?

Thanks. It was probably VD... I think my signiture offended him.

It's because you call indie games crap.
Remmeber, VD is an indie game developer, and his game does not look like a bad imitationb of a late 80's RPG. And many other indie games are also quite good, too.

Section8

Cipher
Yeah, I'll bet that signature cuts VD to the bone every time he reads it. With luck, he'll abandon his retro-RPG and turn his attention toward bringing the industry down FROM THE INSIDE!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Section8 said:
Yeah, I'll bet that signature cuts VD to the bone every time he reads it. With luck, he'll abandon his retro-RPG and turn his attention toward bringing the industry down FROM THE INSIDE!

I just missed what his signature actually said. Didn't even read it. Oh, whatever.
It IS a reason to dumbfuck him, though.

hicksman

Liturgist
Despite that he can't write for shit, i think his point is that what makes an RPG or at least a game-you-can-roleplay-with is the game's ability to allow you to interact and change the world or the people in it.

That theme wasnt apparent at all after reading it twice, so perhaps someone else will benefit from my summary.

Its actually valid, which pains me to say because of the retarded way he presented it, but I would also extend it to player interaction and not just world interaction.

An example: Doom3 doesnt lose points for not allowing you to cook the dead and eat them to satiate hunger, because it's out of scope of an action game, whereas Oblivion loses major points for not allowing you to swing a sword while on a horse, because that IS within the scope of something called an RPG *AND* something that would be considered as logical as the leap of faith that not only can you get on the horse, but it also moves.

Fallout is in my opinion a bad example of this, as the ramifications of your actions when you have a choice are pretty minor. However, it does actually recognize your choice, so i guess its ok.

But DX is a bad example because the plot stays the same despite my actions? I havent played DX since back in the day, but i remember killing Anna Navarre early on and getting in trouble for it, which resulted in slightly different interactions for the rest of the game. Your brother could also live or die depending on your actions, as well as the helicopter pilot (jorg or something) Lastly, you could do different things in the endgame to get 3 different endings.

So, not too much different from fallout IMO, and not a bad point, just poorly made.

denizsi

Arcane

Wow, apparently a good amount of games I know as FPSs and other actions games are actually RPGs! And do people whine about RPGs being dead.

It's a shame there aren't any more dumbfucks in this thread; they could "mass"-boycott the fascist pig that is VD but I guess that would be too commie crap and the others are probably busy CHANGING THE SYSTEM INSIDE!1 instead of bitching and swearing.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
hicksman said:
But DX is a bad example because the plot stays the same despite my actions? I havent played DX since back in the day, but i remember killing Anna Navarre early on and getting in trouble for it, which resulted in slightly different interactions for the rest of the game. Your brother could also live or die depending on your actions, as well as the helicopter pilot (jorg or something) Lastly, you could do different things in the endgame to get 3 different endings.

YOU COULD SAVE JOCK?

hicksman

Liturgist
YOU COULD SAVE JOCK?

Jock! thats it, yeah i think so. Let me ask my friend, he's played through it about 10 times.

[EDIT] I guess not, according to this FAQ

Is there any way to save Jock?

Yes, you have to knock out or kill the mechanic at Everett's place (the "Odd Mechanic" who serviced jock's heli), then run all the way back to Everett to report the mechanic as a spy, then trudge all the way back to Jock. Then there is a brief "crisis" where Jock finds a bomb and takes care of it. If you don't do this, the "crisis" scene doesn't happen and Jock dies in an explosion at Area 51 while you watch helplessly.

So thats a definate yes, but only until the endgame. :roll:

I totally forgot about this site, IT-HE. It was probably posted here long before my time. If you think you cant affect the DX world to your standards, think again http://www.it-he.org/deus.htm This loon also has similar "walkthroughs" for Arx, System Shock, Ulitma 5 6 7 8 and 9. (5 in the dungeon seige engine) Hilarious.

Thydron

Liturgist
ask morgan everett about his mechanic after talking to him - then get jock to check the copter - he'll find a bomb and get rid of it.
taadaa

well that ^ makes my post redundant :P
but im pretty sure Jock stays alive if you get the bomb sorted - i think the walkthruogh means that the area 51 explosion happens if you dont get rid of the bomb - if you do he lives a long and successful life. maybe.

hicksman

Liturgist
I think i finally managed to save him because i remember playing it over and over again placing LOMs in the right spots to blow everyone up. Might have given up on it though.

elander_

Arbiter
Man NeverwinterNights has more rpg choices than DX and that is considered a very bad rpg here. When you play DX you play a story, with one predetermined succession of maps after another. Every time you play the game the major events will unfold in exactly the same order except for some irrelevant choices.

I know my english sucks but you are missing the point by a lot. Can you shot the leader of Unacto right at the beginning of the game? Can you choose not to upload the data your brother asks you to upload? Can you choose to let the rebel leader escape in the liberty island map?

I don't care if some people say it's impossible to build a great story this way. Those guys never made a good rpg in their lives. It probably would not be the kind of game you are used to call an rpg but it would be a game made to let the player role-play his characters and not carry him towards a story. In an rpg every important or dramatic decision must be a choice that will leave a mark in the world. I don't see why Fallout isn't a good example of that. There is a main quest but i don't mind if it's only there to create some background as long as the rest of the game let's me roleplay.

Thydron

Liturgist
I think its pretty much accepted that DX is a shit RPG - doesn't stop it being a hell of a game with a great storyline that is close behind Torment's.

hicksman

Liturgist
I'll abstain from the project monkey talk, but i will say that i dont consider DX an RPG, i just wanted to highlight some points about it.

Also, NWN was a piece of ass and i could go on for 3 paragraphs about how i really disliked just about everything about it. And relevant to the topic, I couldnt find much of anything that you could go back and do differently to change things; you either did something or you didnt.

By your logic, i could say that NWN had a predermined story that you couldnt affect. Wasnt the bitch from the very beginning of the game part of the badness? She betrays you or some shit. You cant go shoving knives into her gut in Act 1.

And your last paragraph is the opposite of true. You can't make a game AT ALL without setting a path for your player-forget about a great story.

denizsi

Arcane
If you think you cant affect the DX world to your standards, think again

That isn't affecting the game world; it is affecting insignificant characters in the game world which have no bearing on the overall plot direction or on your gameplay. But still, I wouldn't call DX shit. It's just smaller in scope and more limited. Could have been better with some branching, but it's not horrible by any means.

Which reminds me: How many of you managed to save your brother from greusome death at the hands of the UNATCO troops on the first playthrough?

I didn't bother and left the poor fucker to die in my first play, but I have saved before the dialogue which led to the attack, so I could try in future. Eventually, I did what hicksman did.

Joe Krow

Erudite
denizsi said:

Wow, apparently a good amount of games I know as FPSs and other actions games are actually RPGs! And do people whine about RPGs being dead.

Yet another fuck-wit who can muster critism but not the balls to state his own definition. Since you've decided to play it safe (coward), why not at least name a few of these fps that have you so confused. Keep in mind that dialouge is a two way conversation and not a cut scene. An inventory system entails more then weapon selection. Stats refer to personal attributes as well as skills. Hope this helps. Enjoy your rpgs. Dumbass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom