Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Ultima-Where to begin?

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Protip: Chests never disappear in ultima 4 so you can use them as markers when traveling long distances.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I wish you guys told me about the existence of Xu4 before I started playing U5.

Don't know if I care enough to replay the game with it though. I think it has a whole bunch of time-wasting elements. I don't understand why completing a single shrine required so much pointless travel back and forth.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected

Don't know if I care enough to replay the game with it though. I think it has a whole bunch of time-wasting elements. I don't understand why completing a single shrine required so much pointless travel back and forth.

xu4 doesn't change much; it's mostly just an executable that works on modern systems, plus a half dozen UI tweaks and an optional graphics facelift. The basic U4 design itself is unchanged.

And xu4 has been around for quite a while now. As a result, I guess I would tend to just assume that anyone with the gumption to give U4 a shot would have heard about xu4 at some point in the process of learning about and deciding to try U4.

Servo

Arcane
I found out about xu4 because I was thinking about doing a fan remake of U4. First step was to see if it already existed :)

Servo

Arcane

Also, xu4 is mentioned on the first page of this thread :?

I finally found a dungeon in this game. I gotta say I was disappoint. I expected the combat to suddenly become fun or something.

It would be okay if I didn't have to trek back to Moonglow to buy reagents after a dozen or so random encounters. Can you play the game as a mage and just not cast spells? Or should I grind for like a year so I can stockpile reagents?

Revenant

I finally found a dungeon in this game. I gotta say I was disappoint. I expected the combat to suddenly become fun or something.
Heh, combat doesn't get very interesting in U4 (sadly). However, the altar rooms sometimes have quite interesting encounter design.

It would be okay if I didn't have to trek back to Moonglow to buy reagents after a dozen or so random encounters. Can you play the game as a mage and just not cast spells? Or should I grind for like a year so I can stockpile reagents?
Combat isn't that difficult in U4, man. Have you tried just, um, attacking enemies with your weapon instead of casting spells? I can't speak for a mage, but a paladin mostly steamrolls all dungeons save the last one solo in U4. Maybe you just need to gain a few levels for the hit points and (?) increased damage.

:Flash:

Arcane
Or get some companions. I only used spells for the hard enemies.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Buy a horse and mix some Blink spells and you will never have to fight outside dungeons again. Peer gems and cast Yup and Zdown spells so you can breeze through dungeons. Or just quit playing if you're expecting good combat from this game.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
As far as ultima goes, I haven't completed a single one;
I usually lock up when deciding which one is the best introduction to the series.
Many have told me the original "Age of Darkness" trilogy is not worth my time,
and that I should begin straight from Ultima 4.
However even Ultima 4 seems archaic.
is it best to stick it out with that game, or start somewhere later, like 7?

If playing through Baldur's Gate Original taught me anything, it's that you always start with the good games first.

Games just aren't novels or television shows.

Revenant

There is no bad Ultima, except perhaps IX, but who would start with it nowadays, anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom