Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima III!

Saxon1974

Prophet
Haven't posted of my adventures in a while, so here are some screen shots from tonight's play....

Here I stop by the Pub called "The Taphouse" and try and avoid all the drunks so I can make my way to the Guild to buy some torches....

taphouse.jpg

Here is a fountain in Lord British's castle. Here is a trivia question;

Anyone know what the "C" in LCB stands for?

lcbfountain.jpg

British has his goods well protected by a force field.....

forcefield.jpg

And finally a strange Castle arrival by moongate....What's in that Castle I wonder?

castlefire.jpg

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah I played the NES version first (in 83 I only had a VIC-20). The funny thing about that version? If you kept hitting the reset button, the game had a tendancy to "glitch" and give you random free shit. One time I got EVERYTHING using this method...Marks, 99 of every item- EVERYTHING!!! All I had to do was make a quick trip to Ambrosia and it was all over. Twas actually cool to cheat back then, when you had to figure it out for yourself.

I still think Ultima IV (on PC) is the best RPG ever.

TheWesDude

Arcane
Patron
thats not a force field around the fountian, its water...

and that castle you had questions about, thats the final dungeon, castle of exodus.

and the LCB = Lord Castle British

(yea, sue me, it sucks but its true)

Saxon1974

Prophet
LeStryfe79 said:
Yeah I played the NES version first (in 83 I only had a VIC-20). The funny thing about that version? If you kept hitting the reset button, the game had a tendancy to "glitch" and give you random free shit. One time I got EVERYTHING using this method...Marks, 99 of every item- EVERYTHING!!! All I had to do was make a quick trip to Ambrosia and it was all over. Twas actually cool to cheat back then, when you had to figure it out for yourself.

I still think Ultima IV (on PC) is the best RPG ever.

I go back and forth on whether my favorite Ultima is III, IV or V. I think III gets the nod just because it was my first RPG ever, but I do realize that IV and V are better games when played now due to improvements to the engine....

I didn't like Ultima IV when it first came out in 1985 because it forced you to be "good" and be the Avatar. I was mad that I couldn't steal chests anymore! But it is still one of the few great RPG's that the main quest is not to defeat the big bad wizard.

Im almost finished with Ultima III so I should be playing Ultima IV within the next couple of days. I will make a post on that one....

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
5 was my first Ultima, and really kinda defined what I thought an RPG should be like. Played it on the C64.

I played 3 on the NES and 6 on the SNES, had fun with both.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, but IV really didn't force you to play good. It's just that avoiding evil was part of the challenge. A game that forces you to play good wouldn't give you the choice to steal/ kill to begin with. It would have been better if there had been multiple paths to completion, but this was 1985. It's also kinda fun just roaming around being an evil bastard, while having no intention of finishing the game. :D

Saxon1974

Prophet
For the first time in 25 or so years I finished Ultima III! :lol:

I do have to admit I cheated at the end, I realized that to get to the final battle I was going to have to keep grinding my characters up to max skill levels, and due to the sake of time and that I don't think that would have been fun, I used a cheat to get through the last few battles because I got tired of loading.

Im not going to post the ending as to not spoil it for anyone else, but it is a surprising ending.

HEre are some screens from Castle Death.

First of I got attacked by grass outside the Castle

grassattack.jpg

Entrance of the Castle

Noneleave.jpg

Walking on fire

firewalk.jpg

Here we find some clerics that beg you to save them, although I couldn't find a way to do it...

clericincastledeath.jpg

Up next, Ultima IV!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Someone need to re-make these classic Ultima's with NWN2's new overland map.

That would be awesome.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Jaesun said:
Someone need to re-make these classic Ultima's with NWN2's new overland map.

That would be awesome.

Completely agree, it seems like they would be money makers, but it probably has to do with rights....

That being said I wouldn't want to see NWN2's combat engine, but the overland map would be great.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
The load screens, however brief, from the random encounters were the one aspect I truly hated about SoZ. There might be a way to minimize this annoyance while still making the OM relevant, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Edit

Okay, cool. I just figured it out. :D

(sometimes I think aloud like a stupid fucker)

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I still remember the first time I played it and was introduced to the world of the CRPG back in 1983. I was completely hooked on the world of Sosaria, the Orcs, the Giants, Lord British etc..... I remember my Dad getting up the next morning and coming in to the den and saying "You been up all night?" I recall thinking "Yep guess so", and went back to playing. I hadn't noticed that the sun had come up again.

RPGs are evil.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom