Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

UFO Aftershock DEMO

Balor

Arcane
Ahem, demos slowly get begger then games a few years ago...
Ok, anyone with loads of bandwith - try it?

Micmu

Magister
My first impressions: There are some improvements in strategical part. You can build your base facilities now (but still a lot shallower than in X-Com), there is a diplomacy part now and globe is divided into "conquerable" regions/countries.
Tactical combat part is pretty much the same crap.
I just can't play this, because it reminds me to X-Com too much.

Circuitbreaker

Liturgist
obediah said:
uhm yeah, it has my favorite demo feature - starforce.
That's what I noticed as well :(

So probably some other (full) games I run on my machine won't work now ?!

$#%$#^%$$# copy protection crap.

Jinxed

Liturgist
micmu said:
Tactical combat part is pretty much the same crap..

It's changed all right. In aftermath, buildings were considered something to hide behind, not inside. Aftershock allows you to enter them.

Slaughter

Educated
Though the game has mainly been improved in the strategic part (base building, diplomacy and so on), there are also several improvements over Aftermath in the tactical part. Crouch and prone MATTERS this time around, and you can enter buildings. Soldiers (and enemies) can be stunned and knocked down, and you have other modes of fire now (snap and aimed, single and burst at least).

That being said, the tactical part is still fairly similar to the one in Aftermath. If you hated the S.A.S. system there, chances are you will not like it here either. You really should give it a chance however, as it takes a little getting used to. You can customize what makes it pause in options and so on.

I think the demo looks very promising (as did the full game when I tested it a month ago), but I'll hold my judgement until I try the full game and read some reviews.

Balor

Arcane
...and you have other modes of fire now (snap and aimed, single and burst at least).
Hmm, looks like example of E5 taught them a thing or two, heh.
Btw, have you played E5, Slaughter? (I somehow recall that you did, not sure when and where, though).
If you did, can you try and compare it's systems now?
After all, Brigate E5 system is a fine example of a near-perfectly done RTwP, and I wonder if they did something better... I doubt that, though :).

Slaughter

Educated
No, I didn't get around to trying it again. My gaming time has been sadly limited lately, so the only thing I've played lately is the Aftershock demo, San Andreas and a little Winter Assault. I will download the E5 demo immediately however, so I can compare the systems :)

Circuitbreaker

Liturgist
I gave the demo a try and I agree that there are quite some improvements. Overall the game seems to have far more depth then the original. So far I noticed changes like being able to enter buildings (with multiple stories as well), choosing your entry point when starting a mission and so on. There's a hint of deeper research trees and diplomacy (a bit like X-Com 3 ? ) as well.

I'm curious how the full game works out.

BTW After the installation I checked games like Sacred, Boiling Point, Silent Storm and so on. Despite the StarForce $#^% crap everything still seems to run fine...

Dragon

Augur
Real Time Tactical ? Beuhhh....
But how did I come to the idea that they changed it back to turn based ? Didn't they claim something like this at the begining ? Or maybe I read some crappy review which couldn't understand the difference...

Slaughter

Educated
Dragon said:
Real Time Tactical ? Beuhhh....
But how did I come to the idea that they changed it back to turn based ? Didn't they claim something like this at the begining ? Or maybe I read some crappy review which couldn't understand the difference...
The developers always claimed that the would keep the system they used in Aftermath. I have seen that some sites categorize the game as "Turn-based strategy" however. Guess you can blame them ;)

@Barghest: I had the pleasure of playing the full game a week before it was done. I wrote a preview where I focus on AI amongst other things. You can find it here if you're interested. Even though you may not get the impression from the demo, the AI has improved quite a bit. I don't think it will shock anyone with it's brilliance, but better than Aftermath.

Oh, and if you'd like some more information on Aftermath and X-COM you should check out our latest newsletters online here.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
The demo kind of sucks as it doesn't allow you to advance the clock to gather any resources so you can't try base building,etc. Tactical seems improved over the first game
I like the soldier development. The 3 phase combat system isn't straight turnbased
but it's best thing other than that. graphics look greatly improved .They took out fighter/interceptor part of the game but I'll take the base building over the cut-scene style interceps anyday, overall this is looking like a much better game

Circuitbreaker

Liturgist
Sheriff05 said:
They took out fighter/interceptor part of the game but I'll take the base building over the cut-scene style interceps anyday, overall this is looking like a much better game
I just got the game and in some ways its quite a departure from UFO Aftermath. Parts like Research, Base-Building and so on are quite expanded. Brandnew is Diplomacy, hint you're not alone on Earth, which makes for some interesting choices and consequences.

I'm not far enough into the game but it seems they tweaked the original game a bit and then deepened it alot in a good way IMHO.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Circuitbreaker said:
Sheriff05 said:
They took out fighter/interceptor part of the game but I'll take the base building over the cut-scene style interceps anyday, overall this is looking like a much better game
I just got the game and in some ways its quite a departure from UFO Aftermath. Parts like Research, Base-Building and so on are quite expanded. Brandnew is Diplomacy, hint you're not alone on Earth, which makes for some interesting choices and consequences.

I'm not far enough into the game but it seems they tweaked the original game a bit and then deepened it alot in a good way IMHO.

agreed, I am really liking it myself. plus the patch is due this week.

Slaughter

Educated
Yeah, I'm really enjoying it myself! This is a HUGE step in the right direction compared to Aftermath. Great game so far! :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom