Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tropico 3 motherfucker?

Starwars

Arcane
Anyone interested in this? I know jack shit about the developer making it, but a new Tropico game (in the vein of the first one) would be awesome. Probably my favourite city builder.

Teaser trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tease ... co-3/49781

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Kalypso is a solid developer, but their city building sims always lacked... 'soul', for lack of a better word. Provided they have decided not to tinker with the excellent gameplay formula of the original Tropico too much, we might have a winner here.

Lim-Lim

Liturgist
Fuck yeah!

I didn't think that there was any hope for a sequel for Tropico.
The original is an exellent game, and I still play it way too often. I'll definetly buy this when it comes out, if they don't do any major fuck-ups.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Kalypso's city sims are very so so to me. They always look incredible but often suffer from a lack of atmosphere and silly design decisions. Will wait it out to see how it turns out.

Starwars

Arcane
I see. I guess we'll have to hope that they're staying fairly true to the original Tropico gameplay and not adding or changing to much (or deviating from the gameplay). I mean, there are many improvements to be made but I think the game functioned pretty well.

Atmosphere is also an absolute must for the game. Judging from the teaser, it looks at least as if they're doing a soundtrack which is very similar to the first game. Which is good because that soundtrack is awesome.

Would definetely be happy if they can pull this off.

poocolator

Erudite
The Order of Discalced Codexian Convulsionists
I love Simcity 4 and consider it one my favorite games of all time. That being said, I really did have fun playing tropico 1/2. Maybe it was the atmosphere, the detail, the quirkiness of playing a Caribbean dictator...
whatever it was, it did justice by me.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Looks like an upgraded version of Tropico 1, which is fine by me.
Yeah, basic concepts are the same and thanks god for that.

Lol, just heard of "UFO invasion" :/

Multi-headed Cow

If Tropico 3 and Majesty 2 stay true to the originals I'll be a happy camper.

Kortalh

Liturgist
I don't really like that they've added paved roads and cars instead of the dirt roads and foot travel, but I guess if that's the only thing worth complaining about, they're doing a pretty good job.

Quilty

Magister
Kortalh said:
I don't really like that they've added paved roads and cars instead of the dirt roads and foot travel, but I guess if that's the only thing worth complaining about, they're doing a pretty good job.

I kinda agree with you, but then again, construction workers can now travel much faster, so an airport shouldn't take 15 years to build. Definitely a plus. Now let's just hope xbox hasn't contaminated the PC version in any noticeable way.

ShavenApe

Novice
Looking forward to this.

I'd agree that the paved roads look out of place if your island is not economically developed enough, but maybe if you can upgrade your construction yards (at a decent cost) it might not break the "e-murshun" so much.

Kortalh

Liturgist
One of the things that always kinda bothered me with the original was the apartment tenement building.

You're apparently supposed to build it early on as housing for all the shack-dwellers... but I always found it awkward-looking that a small farming community of less than 100 people should have a huge apartment building.

Actually, come to think of it, what really bothered me was the president's manor. It's humongous, lavish, and sticks out like a sore thumb early in the game. It really should have started out crummy and upgraded as your country grew -- that's one of the very few things that Tropico 2 did right.

But that's just nitpicking, really. I loved Tropico, and those are fairly minor gripes.

Dirk Diggler

Scholar
Housing in Tropic 1 is kind of screwed up in general. It takes a combination of ridiculous immigration policies and serious effort to keep a roof over all their heads.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
Quilty said:
I kinda agree with you, but then again, construction workers can now travel much faster, so an airport shouldn't take 15 years to build. Definitely a plus. Now let's just hope xbox hasn't contaminated the PC version in any noticeable way.

Ah memories... the first time I tried to build an airport and my construction workers would just about get there before deciding that they'd had enough work for that day, and so I built a construction office which then led to a whole slum developing around the airport which freaked out the tourists who left the airport and so my tourism rating plummetted so I threw in more policing and blew my spare cash on making the area 'safe' only for the hurricane to hit and tank my economy totally. And all to the music of Buena Vista Social Club. I loved Tropico.

And as pretty much everyone else says, if these guys don't mess with the gameplay in a bad way then it's a winner.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Oh yea, the Tropico 1 music is great and fits perfectly to the gameplay, makes me smile every year I give it a new try. :)
Hope you all played with Paradise Island addon, it helps.

Tropico 2 on the other hand..hmm. It was ok I guess, but also a bit.. childish? A bit like Small World Ride.
This goofy tutorial guy with his parrot and the lame wooden leg jokes and..uhh.
Maybe I should try it again someday.
Damn I loved that ride on mushrooms, three times and I couldn't stop laughing even while waiting in line for hours. Viva la France!

edit: Hope the trailer guy does all the voice acting in the international version of Tropico 3, that would be awesome.

Starwars

Arcane
Aaaand the demo is out: http://forum.kalypsomedia.com/showthread.php?tid=1713

Tutorial plus one scenario. Just fiddled a bit with it, but once you get used to how things look (visually recognizing buildings) it feels just like Tropico 1, only with a few more things added. Runs and looks beautiful for me as well. Music is much in the same vein as Tropico 1, but not as good (obviously nostalgia may be at work here).

Fun stuff.

Multi-headed Cow

Don't think I'll bother with the demo, but if it's basically like Tropico 1 only spruced up then hot damn, gonna buy it eventually. I'm pretty well set on games at the moment.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
Tropico 1 isn't that fresh in my mind, but I had a lot of fun with the demo's missions.

I had a few minor issues with goddamn motherfucking buildings not connecting to roads, but I just blew them to shit and started over. Fuckers.

Starwars

Arcane
I've greatly enjoyed the demo so far. Most of my complaints really are nitpicks. The tutorial announcer guy is pretty horrible (especially compared to the Tropico 1 guy). And some buildings feel unnaturally large compared to others. I also would've liked the dirt roads of Tropico 1 instead of the roads.

But yeah, all in all I really enjoy it. The humor is fun, the atmosphere is excellent and the gameplay has that good mix of depth and fairly fast pace. One thing I enjoy is that people rebelling seems to happen way more often than in Tropico 1, I was actually taken by surprise in the demo. I'm glad the military presence seems to be more important here, as rebellions were really rare in the first game in my personal experience.

The avatar feature is a bit gimmicky, but it doesn't really take away anything from the game either. And designing an avatar who walks around in a top hat and with a cigar in his mouth has got to be worth something.

The demo is pretty enjoyable. Seems like they didn't screw up anything much gameplay-wise. I miss the old interface and cartoon-style characters and videos from the first game, though.

The only thing that bothered me was the "humour". I don't know, maybe it's targeted for xbox players, but some of the writing is just ridiculous. Couldn't they just borrow bio descriptions and such stuff from the original?
Also, the radio is horrible. Same with the tutorial guy voice. :x

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom