Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Troika's Market Strategy- Good Idea?

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
True.
Anti-Japanese feelings reached a Fever Pitch in the early 1950ies, and alot of racism was going around.
(I lived in Japan for about 3 years, if you must know.
Honestly.)
Do you really have to threaten someone who is obviously new to the Fallout fan base with immediate banishment?
Let him grow into it. It takes time.
I was in the same position for most of my time at DaC, as most of you know.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Fiver said:
Sounds to me like you are just nitpicking, but, heh, whatever. Also, I liked the diverse town themes; while certainly different from the Fallout 1 world, Fallout 2's heterogeniety can be viewed in a positive light as well. Certainly, all the locales did in fact fit fairly well with 1950's Americana (the spagetti westerns, the post WW2 asian culture fetish, etc etc) and, IMHO, do not at all distract from the game at all.
I disagree, I felt they took markedly from the game. When I reached New Reno and found Tommy Guns, my first thought was "Wow! K3wl!!", my second thought was "Let's use them", my third thought was "Wow. Tommy Guns suck. They do bugger-all damage" my fourth thought "Actually, if they suck so much, why are these guys using them?" before I finally thought "What the hell are they doing in the game anyway? Aren't Tommy Guns a little outdated, I mean, if there are Assault Rifles and the like lying about, why use a Tommy Gun?".

I won't even talk about San Francisco and the whole rather cheesy Chinese thing that was happening. Perhaps, if I'd played FO2 first, I wouldn't mind, but after playing such an intense game-world as Fallout 1, believe me, you notice it. You really do notice the departure form "real-world" explanations into fairy land stuff.

Fiver said:
I liked the pop culture references. I mean, heh, sure, maybe it had alot more than Fallout 1. But, hey, Fallout 2 was alot bigger than Fallout 1, so whatever you know?
For me, they were too many but more importantly, too obvious. FO1's references were subtle. Doctor Who's the Tardis as a Special Encounter, only found if you had a high luck. Even then, it just disappeared when you got to it. Unless you knew about Doctor Who, it didn't make sense. On the other hand, FO2 had Skynet as the name for a major computer. An obvious reference to an obvious movie. It came across as far too pathetic. Couldn't they have tried harder to pick a better name?

Then there were the TWO, count them, TWO references to Silence of the Lambs. A Doctor Hannibal with notes in Sierra Base I think, and then the Liver quest. Not funny at all. By that stage, I just rolled my eyes and ploughed on.

Fiver said:
I liked the weapon selection.
Too many, many of them were useless, many of them were found at the end, all at once. Not spread-out evenly throughout the game.

Fiver said:
I mean, we can nitpick and whine and moan over every little facet of everything but, in the end, Fallout 2 was a fun experience. I replay it often and many people herald it as a fine example of what crpgs should be.
No. Not to me. The Quake-like, shoot 'em out ending? ALL those references? Finding the Cafe of Broken Dreams TWICE because of an apparent bug? No thanks. Fallout 1 with it's tighter story, better ending, MULTIPLE ways to finish. FO1 is the prime example of a CRPG to me.

If you want to read more, here's the original post I made after playing Fallout 2 back in March 2001. Fallout 2 sadly disappointing.

Fiver said:
I hate to burst your little bubble but you are just flat out wrong here. Movie stars of this era found it shiek to eat sushi and asian food eateries were at a new hieght in popularity. Look to the Bond film "You Only Live Twice (admittedly in the early 60s, however, indicative of trends which started in the FIFTIES)." In that movie, Bond disguises himself as a japanese man and storms the bad guys fortress with over 200 ninja HELPING him. It sure as hell didnt take "a few decades" for the US to get heavily interested in asian culture. Additionally, a strong commentary about this is made in the book by Philip K. Dick titled "The Man in High Castle." I suggest you read it. So, maybe you should try not talking out of your *** if you dont know your own damn history.
Uhhh... You know Fallout lore right? China and the US attacked each other. That's why it's a wasteland. You really think there's going to be lots of love shared there? Those San Frans should've been hated to death, going by Fallout LORE.

Fiver said:
-I'm sorry, but your pompous little attitude is NOT indearing me to your less than perfect point. Your only gripes with FO2 lie in how it is different from FO1 not at all in how it fairs against other RPGs at large. Im sorry, but I dont want to play the same game over and over for all existence even if that means inconviniencing your silly sensibilites. FO2 was a fine game, it was true to its setting and if you would get off your little high horse you might realize that.
If you got off your high horse, you might realise that FO2 WASN'T true to the Fallout setting as it is detailed and shown in Fallout 1. It may have been a fine game to someone who likes that kind of thing, but to someone who played and loved Fallout 1, no, they f**ked it. Sorry.

Fiver said:
-As has been said, most people tend to pass the game in the low twenties.
Most people? Can I see the results of this survey please?

Fivar said:
I dunno what is wrong with you, man, but, heh, if anyone needs a personality rehall...or a personality in general.... Yes, sure, there was some strong anti japanese sentiment BUT any student of history worth his salt knows how to read past that and look at greater socialogical patterns.
Anyone who's played Fallout 1 should know that there ain't no love between US and China. Forget the real-world for a moment sunshine, remember the Fallout one. That's where this game takes place, not in the real world.

Fivar said:
As I stated, film stars and others often went against these ill-feelings against the far east by actively being seen and filmed at far eastern dineries; Eastern styled cuisines became very popular amongst diners at large; eastern trinkets become in vogue. Furthermore, according to your warped logic the sentiments expressed in You Only Live Twice somehow miraculously sprang up in the sixties (also, make sure to remember that while the movie was released in 67, it began production before that and its screenplay was done sometime before filming). In truth, as I attempted to state, this is a result of social change which began in the 50s. Once again, I strongly suggest you take a look at some literature on the subject because, quite frankly, you dont know jack ("A Man in High Castle" is a good place to start, it is actually historical fiction in which the japanese win the war; however, it helps act as a mirror for true american culture after the war). See, social change is very organic. Things do not simply happen. For a better understanding of how to look at and understand history in general, I would like to point you towards Carr's "What is History?" This is small book helps in a big way, trust me. It helps explain not only the historians place in history but also how to better view history.
I uhhh... Think you're forgetting the game world again. Everything in there is irrelevant to the Fallout World.

Fivar said:
Also, small jibs and jibes are understandable, but being a total prick isnt. Mind getting some maturity? I mean, all your little comments are obviously some juvenile attempt to poke at my pride. "Oooh, he likes Deus Ex, he has kooties, neener neener neener..." Jesus, gimme a break.
Uhhh.. Fivar, you started it mate. Back here. Saint used a smiley at the end of that "Yeah, damn me for expecting the same level of quality in a sequel. :D" or did you miss that?

Fivar said:
Look buddy, who wrote this:

"Many people also like NWN, which was fairly pitiful as far as I'm concerned. Most of the people out there don't notice the detail of things, they're only concerned with how fast they can level up and what cool items they can get along the way. Fallout 2 is a fine example of going from a good CRPG to a monty hauler."

Hey, its damn natural for one person to sling a little mud back after having some shoved down there throat.
Which is what Saint's doing, dipshit. You're forgetting again.

Fivar said:
MOST of your damn comments indirectly insult those who enjoy those things you dont like.
..and vice versa for you. You wouldn't look like a dickhead If you hadn't pulled the shit first.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
DarkUnderlord's post on No Mutants Allowed pretty much sums up a lot of the feelings I had after Fallout 2.

I defy anyone to argue that being able to get the Advanced Power Armor that easily is a good thing. It's the easiest friggin' armor to get in the game! You kill one guy, and that's it. The cost of a few bullets for a gun character, or a few rounds time for a melee/HtHer, and you get the best item in the game with no string attached. Combat Armor and T-51b Power Armor is much harder to get, and no where near as good.

Another problem with Fallout 2 is the Temple of Trials. They totally removed the whole, "I will do not harm" style character right off the bat since you have to fight those ants to get passed certain doors. If you're a character geared towards diplomacy, or even a character with little to no strength, you can forget about getting through the Temple of Trials. Right off the bat, Fallout 2 removes several viable character options that Fallout handled well just because marketting decided they needed a tutorial level.

Another thing that Fallout 2 did that was pretty lame was that Electric Floor Door maze in the middle of two Enclave barracks area. There's no rhyme or reason it's there, it makes no sense at all that anyone would build something like that or that soldiers would actually put up with something like that. It's just there because some idiot felt the need to make a puzzle.

Another thing that Fallout does better is the lack of a set end location. In Fallout, you start in Arroyo and end on the Rig, every time. With Fallout, you had both Mariposa and the Vault-Tec Vault as the two end locations. My first time through Fallout, I killed the Master first, and then discovered Mariposa. I thought there might be a waterchip in the Vault-Tec Vault, which is why I did it first. It gives you a choice about the order of how things end, and that's a novel idea. Fallout 2, rather than expanding this concept, simply ditched it in favor of the typical single end location, which is a leap backwards.

Rosh

Erudite
Is it time for me and my trusty Flamethrower of Reason MKII?

/me grins evilly and strokes his...Flamethrower of Reason MKII.

evilmonkey

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Another problem with Fallout 2 is the Temple of Trials. They totally removed the whole, "I will do not harm" style character right off the bat since you have to fight those ants to get passed certain doors. If you're a character geared towards diplomacy, or even a character with little to no strength, you can forget about getting through the Temple of Trials. Right off the bat, Fallout 2 removes several viable character options that Fallout handled well just because marketting decided they needed a tutorial level.
Feeling like a little nitpick, but I need to state that you can easily run away from all the ants. I know this for a fact, as I NEVER EVER fight the ants - loath them too much to bother. I even saved after the temple and then made new characters from the save file - editors I wub you.

but true, you need to be able to fight, to talk or the steal to get through the temple of trials.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
evilmonkey said:
Feeling like a little nitpick, but I need to state that you can easily run away from all the ants. I know this for a fact, as I NEVER EVER fight the ants - loath them too much to bother. I even saved after the temple and then made new characters from the save file - editors I wub you.

but true, you need to be able to fight, to talk or the steal to get through the temple of trials.

How'd you get passed those critters, by running passed them, in the area of the temple that ends with you having to blow up that door? There's ants near that urn where the plastic explosive is, for example. I'm not even sure you can set a timed bomb in combat, but even if you are, you have the problem of what to do while that clock's ticking and the ants are chasing you.

Spazmo

Erudite
And even if it is possible, you're really just using your APs in combat to move. The point is that you can't just sneak past them and avoid entering combat mode entirely.

evilmonkey

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
How'd you get passed those critters, by running passed them, in the area of the temple that ends with you having to blow up that door? There's ants near that urn where the plastic explosive is, for example. I'm not even sure you can set a timed bomb in combat, but even if you are, you have the problem of what to do while that clock's ticking and the ants are chasing you.

You run up to the urn, take the bomb, and then wait until they have moved (as they often only move every 2nd turn) - and then you just run for it, and when you have moved with all your points, you exit combat. Now you should be free from the ants. Besides I think that you can set the bomb during combat - so you can set it, and then just run around in circles (away from the bomb) until it blows.

I've managed it 4-5 times and never died - and if I can make it, so can anyone and everyone.

and for the temple, set the combat difficulty to easy for the time being.

EDITZ>
oh and the temple suxorz, no argument there - but you do not need to fight anyone - but if there is anything I hate in FO2 its ants - and if there is any area I hate more then anything it is that blasted fucking temple. .

Rosh

Erudite
evilmonkey said:
EDITZ>
oh and the temple suxorz, no argument there - but you do not need to fight anyone - but if there is anything I hate in FO2 its ants - and if there is any area I hate more then anything it is that blasted fucking temple. .

Sounds like you'll enjoy TeamX's new mod, then. :lol:

Megatron

Liturgist
Someone should just make a mod where they delete klint and use the script at the end of the temple of trials to turn into the vault dweller sprite. That way if you want to go into the temple of trials you can do, if you don't you can just wander back into town.

Temple of trials in fo2 is like sniper town in moh. It breaks up the pace of the game, doesnt teach you much (The very first time I played it I had to refer to the manual to get past the locked door. It gives you a walkthrough for half the temple in the fucking manual) and has annoying crappy enemys.

I still like fo2 though. But when I play it I usually just stay around the northern parts. I didn't feel like saving my village, I was happy doing assaulting the sierra army depot or talking to plants.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I think the ironic part about the Temple of Trials is that they put that in because some people had trouble getting through the caves in Vault 13 in Fallout. There were numerous complaints about how hard it was to get out of those caves after Fallout was released.

Now, the irony is, the Temple of Trials is much, much harder than those damned caves were.

Spazmo

Erudite
Actually, I remember dying the first time I went through the caves in FO1.

Hey, I was 11 and it was scary!

Dan

Liturgist
Those rats almost made me give away the location of the Vault...

I figured the mutis would kill at least some of them... :lol:

Rosh

Erudite
TimCain said:
I have socks older than you, Spazmo. :D

The question on everyone's mind is:

Have you changed them in that long? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom