Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Trespasser - the game everyone else wants to be

Revasser

Scholar
I only played the demo of Trespasser, but I did enjoy glitching the character's arm into being 10+ metres long when picking up blocks.

Jennifer

Liturgist
only thing i didn't like about the arm was that there was, well, only one of them. i guess you can pretend anne is an amputee, but that whole bit was kinda silly.

also, why did the devs make it so you could see your shadow on the ground, but neglect to actually make a full player model? your shadow is just a floating arm and boobs :shock: seems to me if they didn't want to make a full model they could've at least turned the player shadow off. another example of the game's 'rushed-out-the-door'edness.

it's a game that really, really, really needs to be remade. or emulated in a new setting. lots of neat ideas that should've been picked up and expanded upon in subsequent games, but weren't because everyone was scared off by the shitty reviews and didn't play it. a shame and a missed opportunity

Twinfalls

Erudite
The makers of Half-Life 2 said they were inspired by Trespasser for a lot of ideas.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Somebody move this thread into the appropriate 'General Gaming' section please. JarlFrank idonthavetimeforthiscrap Trash

Not sure if some of you were aware of this, but there's an update on a Trespasser remake made in the CryEngine 2 and in work since 2007:

http://trespassingpetrolia.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trespassingpetrolia/with/10954454744/

Oh yeah, I remember playing a demo of that back in 1998 on my cutting edge Pentium 200Mhz. It was slow like a slide show, but it oozed of ambition and despite not knowing what the fuck I was supposed to do, I kept playing. From the same developer as Clive Barker's Undying, and naturally later shut down by EA because shit people don't like good things.

I have to find a copy and try to run this now again. Too bad this isn't on GoG (yet).

Last edited:

visions

Arcane
I had a boxed copy of this, with the manual. I think my dad has thrown the box away but the cd wasn't in there, so the cd should still be around somewhere. I remember it used to crash a lot on the first computer I played it on (P2 400 mhz), didn't get the patch since I had no internet. Didn't get very far in it due to the frequent crashes back then. Remember seeing the first dinosaurs in 3D was p. cool though, as a kid.

Later played it on P4 equivalent Athlon in the first half of 2000's, didn't crash as much and I remember some tense moments, like running away from raptors, getting killed by something in an instant, shit like that. But it was still glitchy and buggy and well... Trespasser, so I never played it too much.

As a kid I used to imagine that somewhere behind all that crashing there should be an awesome game. Also I used to have Trespasser-inspired dreams, sometimes I still see myself running around an island, in constant fear of some dinosaur getting me.

Should try it again some day, when I have nothing better to

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Somebody move this thread into the appropriate 'General Gaming' section please. JarlFrank idonthavetimeforthiscrap Trash

Not sure if some of you were aware of this, but there's an update on a Trespasser remake made in the CryEngine 2 and in work since 2007:

http://trespassingpetrolia.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/trespassingpetrolia/with/10954454744/

Oh yeah, I remember playing a demo of that back in 1998 on my cutting edge Pentium 200Mhz. It was slow like a slide show, but it oozed of ambition and despite not knowing what the fuck I was supposed to do, I kept playing. From the same developer as Clive Barker's Undying, and naturally later shut down by EA because shit people don't like good things.

I have to find a copy and try to run this now again. Too bad this isn't on GoG (yet).

Ask and you shall receive, bro. Moved.

Trespasser was weird as shit and I can't say I ever got into it, but it certainly was incredibly ambitious for its time. Weren't too many games back then that required you to aim with the sights and there certainly aren't many nowadays that require manually aiming the sights as a one-armed amputee.

Oh yeah, I remember playing a demo of that back in 1998 on my cutting edge Pentium 200Mhz.

Cutting edge? P200 was a bit dated in the end of '98.

BTW:

vino8n.jpg

Most memorable thing from diz game besides physics.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Well, at least the Trespasser arm is still able to find employment this days:

Still clumsy as ever it seems.

DraQ

Arcane
only thing i didn't like about the arm was that there was, well, only one of them. i guess you can pretend anne is an amputee, but that whole bit was kinda silly.
Wasn't protagonist's other arm broken in the crash?

What's coming next ? Daikatana was not that bad ?
Trespasser was at least ambitious.

I never got to play it (mostly for technical reasons, though I'm also not that big of a Jurassic Park fag), but you can't say it wasn't impressive.

Though yeah, Dajkaszana would probably compare very favourably to vast majority of modern FPS :popamole: shit.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Wasn't protagonist's other arm broken in the crash?
Don't think it was mentioned in the actual game (I've never played it, but I've watched ResearchIndicate's fairly in-depth Let's Play of it), but don't know if it was mentioned in the manual or something. Pretty sure it was just a hand-wave that fans of the game have made in order to justify it.

Of course, the real reason why is because the developers realized that having to use the fairly complicated arm and hand controls in-game for both arms pretty much made the game unplayable.

gromit

Arcane
What's coming next ? Daikatana was not that bad?
Trespasser was at least ambitious.
[/quote]Well... we'll forget, for now, that the root failing of the project was ambition, because none of it showed up in the game. But it WAS "not that bad." It was simply an okay FPS, which cost too much and set itself up to be pummeled if it was anything short of mindblowing. It was also a mob & projectile shooter with abstract level design, that finally got released two or three years after that model started losing favor.

I mean, it's not worth going back and playing, or anything, but still.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom