Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Thief fan missions and campaigns

Beastro

Arcane
Anyone know how to get into this area in the third mission of TDP? Driving me nuts:
I asked the same question days ago on TTLG. Still no response.

More importantly, someone claims to have been able to find all the loot in this mission without getting in there, so perhaps it is unreachable?
It does look completely different from the rest of the level. I assumed at first the gate opened from the other side and was an escape method, so left it for later and revisited it leaving.

Thing is, at first there were mutters and stuff I could hear around that weren't there on the revisit. It's close to the rest of the level.

Made me enable console commands to see if there was a no clip command to slip past, but doesn't seem that there is while the level editor doesn't seem to like opening up these missions.

Another thing about the third mission that I forgot:

I was quite stumped at first with getting into the Cardinal's chambers and past the armoured guard until I quickly located the gas arrow. After using it, I actually regreted it and felt it was a cop out being placed so close to the guard.

I did eventually find the sneaky way in, but only after that.

Makes me wish that the arrow had been placed across the level and you're rewarded for holding off using it rather than be given the solution right next to the puzzle.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Mission Four:

Solid mission. Felt more loot rich. The scariness was good, though there are limitations with Thief's zombies. Nice to see there are some ranged ones firing gas/flies to add to their threat.

Overall don't have much to complain about with the mission and I liked the switch up at the end. I especially like the new enemy that was introduced in the one area. It's wonderful with how quick and silent it is. My only complaints about the thing is its attack is a bit goofy and there's no loot to grab down there making the escape pretty damn quick.

With that said, my only two major complaints are world building ones:

One: None of the grave robbers had loot with them and nothing was done to the crypt to give a sense that they'd taken anything. Would have been good to find obvious spots crying out for loot only to find them by the bodies.

Two: As I said, I enjoyed the gamblers den, but I don't like how close it was to the ruby. All that was blocking those guys from grabbing it was a boulder in the way of a door, not something I'd think would be stopping people adjacent to a crypt known to have loot. Would have been better for them to merge the side dead end aqueduct area otw to the gamblers den and make some sort of one way drop to make for a convincing reason why the crypt wasn't penetrated before.

Beastro

Arcane
Anyone know how to add items with the console commands?

I reloaded to mission 4 to try to get the magical sword and now realize I need food to give for a piece, but I ate all mine for health and can't find anymore on the map.

I still have a reload back where I have some, but it's over half way into the map where I have 700 loot. I'd like to avoid using that save that if I can.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Currently playing the massive underground tombs mission (4th?) in TBP. Only managed to get one of the three thingamabobs (a piece of armor, I think) and it took 3 or 4 hours. Just a single level in this FM is the equivalent of your average length AAA release these days. *chants* God give me strength to persevere in The Black Parade.... roof and doorway, block and beams, chase The Trickster from our dreams... where's my dinner?

Beastro

Arcane
By the red barrel with the dead thief and undead hammer mage is a stone drawer ajar that has a meat shank in it if you wound up eating the rest of the food for Belor's piece.

Holy Sword feels op ripping apart zombies. I'm gonna hold off using it aa much as I can.

Last edited:

Beastro

Arcane
Liked the changes taking place in the game both plot wise and design wise.

Design wise, I loved this mission's verticality and spending so much time in the starting area before moving onto the mansion. Loot feels like it's becoming more and more abundant.

Plot wise, I really like how the protagonist finally comes into contact with the Keepers in a way that doesn't feel contrived.

Also the sentient gave me male Shodan vibes. In a way that was good, but in another it feels like an imitation of SS.

Nothing to really complain about in this one.

Beastro

Arcane
I ate all mine for health
lmao food doesn't regenerate health in Thief 1, only Thief 2
I believe TFix changes that.
Yes, food most definitely regenerates health, especially apples followed by meat, but I believe cheese and bread do too however I'm not sure what exactly triggers the regen.
I figured it was every 3 or so pieces of food restores a health bit.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
IIRC the original code for Thief 2 is that every food item (except the pickles, for some reason) has a 20% chance of restoring one pip of health.

Some Fan Missions (at least) have changed this to include the pickles.

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
IIRC the original code for Thief 2 is that every food item (except the pickles, for some reason) has a 20% chance of restoring one pip of health.

Some Fan Missions (at least) have changed this to include the pickles.

Interesting. I always felt that deer legs (both in Thief 2 and FMs) had a higher chance of healing than other foodstuffs. Was I just imagining it, or is it perhaps a deliberate exception?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I just finished Death's Dominion (4) on expert, and man, I almost wish these levels weren't so huge and sprawling. I know a lot of codexers like ginormous dungeons but I'm not one of them. Give me something I can complete in an hour or two and I'm happy. Also, I'm not digging the obscurity and difficuty in obtaining the optional (and useful) uber-items. Be honest, did anyone get the Undead Sword without consulting forum help, YT videos or a walkthrough? I suppose all the clues were there but you really, really had to get your biggest brain on to piece it all together. I also had trouble with an inconsistent mantling mechanic (probably at my end) which didn't help in one or two crucial spots.

Beastro

Arcane
Really liking things now. The campaign is hitting it's stride. My only major complaint is knowing only 4 more missions come after this and leave me wishing it was a dozen missions long and not 10. Not the worst thing in the world to face.

The major thing I'm enjoying more and more with TBP is how it doesn't feel contrived and how it actually integrates its story into the world of Thief wonderfully. You get mention of people, and even see some of them, and it makes sense without any screaming 'member berries empty references occurring.

Gamall is a good example of this in that she's an effective threat, a change of pace in thr gameplay and her reasons for being there blend well with the world perfectly.

I enjoyed the upped awareness of the Keepers and how much more challenging they were, especially to shake when suspicious. It makes you appreciate that they are far better at what they do than others. They're not dumb, so it's no surprise they catch onto you intruding so quickly.

It also looks like my paranoia of statues paid off, but I hated going by each and everyone in the mission. I eventually got out of the Keepers enclave without encountering any trouble from them which felt odd. I suspected the Keepers were behind the foreshadowing from the very first mission encounter and read the note in the dorm early on, so I looked around here to see mention of them being in the library. Checking up a LP, I see they were with Gamall, but the noisey floor combined with Gamall's fast walk kept me moving quickly but quietly enough that I passed them by. Makes me wish they'd been place elsewhere so Gamall could be enjoyed on her own and they could as well.

Still have the rest of the mission to do in the city, but felt like posting this anyway. I feel the need to reiterate though that in a zeistgeist so rife with self-referencing and incestuous story telling, it's refreshing to play a game that doesn't feen like rehash of Thief but an honest addition to it.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished it. Last mission and ending were... eh? A bit lukewarm but that's in the tradition of final missions for both official and fan-made campaigns (The Maw in T1, the final mission of T2X...)

Still a cool level in terms of visual design and new enemy types.
All in all, this was an excellent campaign with lots of work put into it. It's insane how hard it pushes the engine's limits.

None

Scholar
I voted for it just because it looked cool. I'll be playing it once I'm finished with the second game.

Since I'm here, anyone got their top 3 or so FMs they'd recommend for me? I'd like to get a good spread of what the community has to offer. Something like: best mansion heist, best tomb crawl, etc.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I voted for it because "Why not? It doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning, but at least we'll see how Thief compares to Half-Life and Doom."

Don't mind me, I'm eating a hat over here.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Me with my awesome Criswell-caliber powers of precognition predicted TBP would win Mod of the Year last week. Of course, all the other entries this year seemed like shit (how many fucking Half Life mods can you play before you wanna puke out your vitals?) so it was the best by default.

I just finished The Brand (mission 5). It was pretty fun and not frustrating for a change.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Since I'm here, anyone got their top 3 or so FMs they'd recommend for me? I'd like to get a good spread of what the community has to offer. Something like: best mansion heist, best tomb crawl, etc.
Best mansion heist: Heist Society
Best tomb crawl: Catacombs of Knoss
Best city exploration: Endless Rain
Best humorous mission: Wicked Relics
Best mini-campaign: The Seven Sisters
Best wild ride: The Widow's Ire
Best haunted quarter: Lost Among the Forsaken

And the absolute wildest ride for which you have to be THIS tall to enter (very difficult early filter): Into The Odd.

Beastro

Arcane
I can see why this one is so beloved by everyone. Very solid mission and fun all around.

The break in didn't feel at all like Mission 2. The place felt locked down well and the entries felt limited (two, the sewers and the balcony, maybe more but if so they didn't stand out unlike in the other mansion).

Plot is interesting and having DeWall be more than just another corrupt asshole cop was a nice touch. Lovely amount of loot and nicely balanced for the mission so you really feel like you're emptying a mansion of all it's worth.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'd forgotten that you could cut down a zombie (some variants, at least) in Thief Gold and it would lay "dead" until you approached it again in the future, then it would let out a loud, threatening groan and rise again if you didn't jump the fuck over it and away. At least that's how TBP does it. Also forgot that you can hack ghosts to "death" with just a regular sword. I've forgotten too much in regards to TG/T2; the price you pay when you're away for awhile.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Took a little break from TBP and decided to "ironman" another fairly recent FM called The Towers of Twilight by Ripped Freak and decided I would only play until I got killed. Wow, this FM looks beautiful with those high-res assets, especially in that creepy tomb with the skeletons guarding it, but the real satisfaction from playing this one was the emergent game-play. I was being chased relentlessly by three guards, trying to lose them, and I didn't think I'd make it as I ran through a volcanic cavern passage, but in that passage was a huge, spiky, scary looking lava elemental (and not one of those underwhelming, cute, almost docile fire balloons from the original games) that turned those now screaming three guards into char. It was fun and unexpected. Of course I did die a few minutes later and will go back to TBP today.

Also played a few minutes of an FM from Eternauta and was amazed that this was his first FM. Dude painted beautifully with light and shadow. I think there's probably more genuine artistry in Thief FMs than in any other modding community.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom