Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Theory: Divinity: Original Sin 2 is the isometric Skyrim

So after completing D:OS last year, I fired up D:OS2 now, yet again, hoping this time it will stick.

The game always starts out nice, the engine is spiffy, lots of interactions, seems like the gameplay is fun. But almost immediately, it starts to slowly sap your will to play it (much like D:OS). I am at Fort Joy now, one part of me hoping to complete it, the other thinking about all the other games I could be playing.

And then I had this epiphany, D:OS2 is the isometric/tactical Skyrim. Or in other words, the Skyrim of iso/tactical RPGs.

What do I mean by this? Well, it's a game that's super popular among the masses (Overwhelmingly Positive rating on Steam, 10/10 reviews from everywhere), easy to get into and play, epic and huge, nice looking, hits all the checkmarks of anyone trying to get into an RPG. A dream come true... until you start to play it as a hardcore RPG player.

Then, you realize that everything about it is bland, shallow and extremely boring. The writing obviously, to begin with. Good god, they dialed down the irritating humor from D:OS a bit (after all the complaints I guess), but there is still this never-ending trying-to-be-funny-when-you-are-not verbal diarrhea in every other dialogue, and when they are trying to be serious, there is just a lot of really bland, dull writing. Compare the beach landing scene at the start of the game between D:OS2 and Risen. It's not like Piranha Bytes have great writers, but they keep stuff short, to the point, and realistic. Meanwhile, in D:OS2, everyone you meet around Fort Joy (even look at the retarded name) goes at you like a flunky theatre student. Blah Blah blah blah.

Then, the combat. At first looks pretty good, but is it really? On the melee side, it's all silly abilities with silly animations that have nothing to do with actual medieval style melee combat. They are really just spells with melee names. On the spell side, the gimmick of combining elemental effects wears off rather quickly, and you are left with 100+ hours of exchanging blows in the guise of spells to wear down each other's hitpoints. More importantly, it's all just so formulaic, whittle down the armor so you can cc/do damage, then cc/whittle down health. Really pales in comparison to mage duels of Baldur's Gate or real life tactics of Battle Brothers/E:Viking. And the silly animations make it even less enjoyable than equally shallow combat of something like Fallout 1/2.

Finally exploration. Completely ruined by the camera. I spend half my time rotating it, trying and constantly failing to find a good angle. And if the camera doesn't ruin it enough, how about a million and one useless crates, most with nothing good in them. And what can you possible find via exploration anyway, another dull NPC with 2 thousand lines of pointless dialogue?

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I know D:OS2 gets a lot of shit around here but I did like its ability to creatively deal with shit and try and break the game which could make some unique and interesting things happen. Of course the dialog, story and over abundance of elemental damage stuff during fights was gay. I notice most modern RPGs now are very choose your adventure or choice in very defined paths which makes the story more coherent and stuff but it’s not as fun.

I could also be retarded.

wishbonetail

Learned
I didn't play DOS2. So, does it have level scaling and does it reward you with a wooden spoon at the end of the boring linear dungeon?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, it's a game that's super popular among the masses (Overwhelmingly Positive rating on Steam, 10/10 reviews from everywhere), easy to get into and play, epic and huge, nice looking, hits all the checkmarks of anyone trying to get into an RPG. A dream come true... until you start to play it as a hardcore RPG player.
That's just what I was about to say, and you've said it yourself. To understand why this game is considered good, you need to look at how the plebs are playing it. Then you'll find that they don't play it like we would play an RPG.

BTW, another thing that pisses me off about D:OS2 and is unfortunately becoming the norm among more modern rpgs, is how, in one of the most retarded attempts to make combat more challenging, all enemies get ranged attacks and/or spells. I guess the logic behind this was developers seeing players kite melee enemies or use the map against them or whatever, but the result is just so bad. Fucking crocodiles casting spells at you, knights blinding you from distance, skeletons casting fireballs, etc.

This kills any kind of enemy variety, they all seem the same after a while, and makes the tactics more repetitive and boring.

Codex Year of the Donut
I must have missed the part where skyrim is a highly reactive game that accounts for and recognizes nearly all of your decisions you can think up.

Not.AI

Learned
Divinity Original Sin 2 #IsAMasterpiece

Exploration was nice and I liked the writing in both games BTW

"I must have missed the part where skyrim is a highly reactive game that accounts for and recognizes nearly all of your decisions you can think up." <- This TBH

Hagashager

Educated
Hard disagree. D:OS 2 has its flaws, sluggish design and flat-lined character-building being chief, but is very much a Role-Playing-Game with some honest PnP genes in it.

Skyrim's a rollercoaster with the ability to mod into a go-kart course if you have the patience.

I am so sick and tired of this PnP defense. PnP genes don't mean shit if your combat, writing, and exploration are shit. Fallout 1/2 weren't good because they had PnP genes, they were good because they had quality gameplay and writing and atmosphere and so on. I love C&C in games, but to me, it's only the desert. If the main course is shit, I cannot enjoy a meal simply because the desert is good.

Hagashager

Educated
Half of what you're ranting about is purely subjective.

I replayed Fallout 1 back in 2015 and had an absolutely miserable time. The UI and combat absolutely *did not* hold up, so much so as to be unpleasant. But hey, if it works for you, cool.

I actually do think the core of D:OS 2's combat is pretty good, but the lack of diversity betwen classes (everyone's a flavor CC mage) drags it down. I get that a lot of people dislike the overbearing CCs though, and it's cool if you're one of them.

I think D:OS 2 is fun to explore, they could've upped the saturation a bit, but it's pretty. I get it though, it feels like corridors are the cities are too cramped and full of way too many repetitive NPC barks.

Loot system fucking sucks, though 100% with you on that.

The crux of your post though, is comparing D:OS2 to Skyrim. That in and of itself is subjective, especially when Skyrim really skirts the line of an RPG where D:OS 2, flawed though it may be, very definitely pulls from a template of Table-Top mechanics.

Well, the inventory's main problem is related to the crates issue I mentioned. You are constantly finding and having to regorganize a lot of crap. Crates should be forbidden in RPGs.

Norfleet

Well, the inventory's main problem is related to the crates issue I mentioned. You are constantly finding and having to regorganize a lot of crap. Crates should be forbidden in RPGs.
I recall crates were the most important part of DOS2. since the entire game basically revolves around powering up your crate into the Destroyer of Worlds.

Norfleet

I'll believe that when Nexus and Loverslab are full of smutty mods for the game even after 10 years. Otherwise it will be a more or less forgettable generic RPG that you beat and then file away, occasionally referencing if it contained anything memeworthy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom