Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 GOTY Edition

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I'm not reading this butthurt rant, you said "Oblivion". Your argument is invalid. It's over.

Oblivion makes better use of OW than Witcher 3, yes.

Actually add Gothic 3 to the list, as fucking horrible as that game was it still somehow makes better use of an OW.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
Slap on a "story" where some NPC with a British accent blabbers on
That's not an argument. Why do you waste my time with this retarded kvetching? Oh right, you're an Oblivion enjoyer.

It's funny you bring up writing though, because the writing makes the game even worse. No connection to an extremely time sensitive storyline, that's not good writing. Just have to conveniently ignore everything to fill up another 80 hours of gameplay and justify this open world, that'll convince the masses this is a masterpiece!
This is true of most if not all open-world RPGs: a time-sensitive main quest that involves saving the world, which can be set aside for 100 hours doing side-quests. Even your hallmark of quality: Oblivion. :lol:

Oblivion makes better use of OW than Witcher 3, yes.

Actually add Gothic 3 to the list, as fucking horrible as that game was it still somehow makes better use of an OW.
Except that both Oblivion and Gothic 3 were filled with nothing but lifeless, plastic, extremely boring, and epitome of generic copy-pasted content for morons. Gothic 3 had the most obvious copy-paste and artificial structure of its open-world in any game to memory. You're not helping your case here.

VerSacrum

Educated
I'm ambivalent about Witcher 3. Art direction/character design, the visual aspect of its worldbuilding and soundtrack really are top notch in my opinion but I'm inclined to to agree with Falski and Bosanski about its OW gameplay being dull as shit. World is uninteractive, exploration unrewarding thanks to the tacked on crafting.

Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Except that both Oblivion and Gothic 3 were lifeless, plastic, extremely boring, and epitome of generic copy-pasted content for morons. You're not helping your case here.

I literally do not like any TES game and Gothic 3 is one of my least fabourite games of all time. You're too fucking retarded to understand Witcher 3 is literally the same shit, actually even Gothic 3 tries to change more in the world. Witcher 3 is one of the most static games I've ever seen.

Everything you wrote applies to W3. You're so retarded you go for a strawman and end up insulting yourself, typical cigan.

Witcher 3 would be a better game if it was more linear, that is an objective fact and anyone who disagrees needs to sit down and be taught a lesson.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
I literally do not like any TES game and Gothic 3 is one of my least fabourite games of all time.
Too late for backpedaling. :lol:

You're too fucking retarded to understand Witcher 3 is literally the same shit
If it's literally the same shit, then why did you mention them as examples of better games than W3? Is it literally the same shit, or is it better? Why can't you make up your tiny mind, edgelord?

Witcher 3 would be a better game if it was more linear
That's not the argument at hand. Nobody was asking "if your imaginary version of W3 existed, would it be better or worse than the real one".

The question raised: is W3 a good game despite its flaws, and the answer is that it absolutely is, and blows shit like Oblaba and Gothic 3 (and fucking ELEX, Risen, and other dullard Gothic clones) out of the water simply because it has considerably better combat mechanics, leveling, quests, atmosphere, immersion, even if we ignore production design. And I'm not a huge fan of Twitcher's combat mechanics in general, but they are far more elaborate and enjoyable than the aforementioned atrocities.

Oblivion, in fact, is probably the single worst open-world CRPG in existence. At the very least, it is the blueprint of all the generic collections and fetch-quest infested open-world games that followed.

Gothic 3 is a game that reeks of lack of effort and/or severe time-constraints. It's a fake game, born out of the developers' inability to actually develop original content proportionate to the size of the game world. The main quest was also trash.

And Moronwind has the worst combat mechanics in any video game I have ever played bar none. And dialogue. And NPC routines. And balance. And "dungeons".

You're conveniently ignoring every other game listed. Never played them? Too busy playing DA:I and shilling for Witcher 3? Tiny brain cant appreciate the classics & hidden gems i listed? Keep thinking I care about TES or Gothic 3 , try to find a message of me praising them ever, go ahead faggot.

The words were "find me an OPEN WORLD rpg done better", emphasis on the open world. Are you too retarded to realize that me saying Witcher 3 is better as a linear game, that translates to saying "it sucks as an OW game".

If you were someone with a brain you would catch onto that and have a discussion, but you're too fixated on some shit that doesn't matter.

Although I don't know why I'd expect someone who shills for Witcher 3 to have a brain.

Stick to these kinds of games actually, they're more your style. Maybe on your replay of dragon age inquisition you can start shilling for that as ×ell!

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
*activates Witcher senses*

You're conveniently ignoring every other game listed. Never played them? Too busy playing DA:I and shilling for Witcher 3? Tiny brain cant appreciate the classics & hidden gems i listed? Keep thinking I care about TES or Gothic 3 , try to find a message of me praising them ever, go ahead faggot.
Signs of a struggle. Monster seemed to be kvetching.

The words were "find me an OPEN WORLD rpg done better", emphasis on the open world. Are you too retarded to realize that me saying Witcher 3 is better as a linear game, that translates to saying "it sucks as an OW game".
Heavy bloodflow from anus. Was our monster severely butthurt? Seems to be lashing out at everything.

If you were someone with a brain you would catch onto that and have a discussion, but you're too fixated on some shit that doesn't matter.

Although I don't know why I'd expect someone who shills for Witcher 3 to have a brain.
Grasping at straws. Cheap insults. The monster was losing. He was about to flee in shame. What happened?

Stick to these kinds of games actually, they're more your style. Maybe on your replay of dragon age inquisition you can start shilling for that as ×ell!
It hurt itself in its confusion.

The culprit is clearly a Lesser Edgelord.

Bestiary entry added: Lesser Edgelord (Category: Faggots)
Feeds on people's attention with childish insults and ad hoc arguments. Prone to self-contradiction. Almost always homosexual.
Weak against: Axii Sign, Ignore Bomb, Anti-Faggot Oil

*throws ignore bomb*

"Screeching Retard" Completed
Experience Points Received: 35
Item Received: Jesters Hat

racofer

Thread Incliner
All of this distracts us from the important questions. Skinwalker, Triss or Yen? This is the true measure of a man.
Untitled.jpg

NotSweeper

Educated
I'm thinking about giving this another whirl. Is it a good RPG? No. Is it a great game? Y... well actually also no, but it is a great world. That fucking soundtrack is top notch.
CDPR did succeed at building something special here. Usually the open world video game movie schtick doesn't elicit any interest for me, the fact that I'm thinking about replaying Twitcher 3 is about as high praise as I can give it.
With that out of the way, #16 on top 101? God I hate this place.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
The game really shines in Novigrad. Almost no generic content to be found in the city itself, yet plenty of elaborate main quest, side quest, and other random encounters.

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot
While you're simping for used up whores magically changing their appearance, the one true love is out doing good in the world and only cares about making you happy. Shame on you.
The-Witcher-3-Shani-Feature.jpg
The technicolor red hair screams of "magical alteration". Not to mention how fucking stupid she must be to live in hiding while having this color of hair and wearing outfits that show off her giant tits to everyone in the street. Plus, I don't buy the "dieversity advocate and rebel with a heart of gold" tripe.

The technicolor red hair screams of "magical alteration". Not to mention how fucking stupid she must be to live in hiding while having this color of hair and wearing outfits that show off her giant tits to everyone in the street. Plus, I don't buy the "dieversity advocate and rebel with a heart of gold" tripe.
Shani is literally just "the doctor" character, it's her life. Not a sorceress who can change her image. In Witcher 3 she spends her only time off trying to get Geralt to relax and finally enjoy himself. What the fuck are you talking about?

I'm not suprised the retard who doesn't know the game is the one who shills for it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The thing that should be praised about Twitcher 3 is that the devs put a lot of effort into making this open-world game filled with content that feels hand-crafted, rather than generic. I'm not saying that there isn't plenty of generic content - there is, most of it just feels like it belongs in this world, rather than put there purely for the player. E.g. plenty of bandit camps and monsters nests in the wilderness, but those naturally should be there in this world.

There are no mindless collection quests, or copy-pasted dungeons, or dumb fetch-quests. Every monster contract is an interesting mini-story that has a twist, sometimes there's not even a real monster and the whole thing is a ploy. The "treasure hunts" are the closest to collections, but you get valuable witcher gear out of them, and you know what you're hunting for ahead of time.

Now, I do remember that the game repeats the "humans are the real monsters" theme one too many times, because ultimately it's still ideologically-driven by shitlibs (including the original author of the book series). But that's not the same thing as generic content that plagues most open-world game, even Elden Ring.
The Witcher 3 has
  • A trash open world
  • Full of trash points of uninterest
  • Populated with trash mobs
  • That lead to trash combat
  • All for trash loot
  • Because even equipment progression is trash
  • Thanks to the trash leveled loot
And the game's quests are vastly overrated as well. As Falksi put it, the Witcher Senses™ gimmick got boring a few quests later.
I don't know how I endured 200 hours of this mess. Probably just so I could say I finished it, never to replay it again.

I played The Witcher II and The Witcher III back to back, and The Witcher II didn't have me wanting to cut my heart out after the first hour of gameplay. Honestly you've got to be braindead for appreciating anything other than the writing about this game. And I don't mind quest design, but the dialogue itself.

Case in point:

292030-20230718233037-1.png

Skinwalker

*teleports into you*
Patron
Village Idiot

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
And Moronwind has the worst combat mechanics in any video game I have ever played bar none

I enjoyed the dice roll based melee combat in MW more than the melee combat in Oblivion and Skyrim.

Triss or Yen?

Witcher 2 Triss.
triss and any other twitcher 2 character suffers from dead eyes and massive brow ridge because the artist have yet to grasp how to make models for the red engine

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom