Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima The Ultima Series Discussion Thread

What is your favorite Ultima game?

• Total voters

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Some other news in a review:

Yep, another review that says skip it. I was always annoyed NO ranged weapons and cannons were only adjacent (n,w,e,s). Ugh! Thief was pointless. Hell, I can't be sure i cared for wizard or cleric either. I'd have to check that again. Patches fixed a lot of shit but every version was tedious gold grind.

And i think I posted the GBC before:

I had fun with this version. I encourage anyone who wants a challenge go play part II. It ramps up the difficulty quite a bit.

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

The Lord British Trademark has been expired since 2007 and yet he's been using it since then, especially in SOTA. He hasn't bothered to renew it.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
...just learned more than I needed to know about the guy who posted the Shroud of the Avatar news on UltimaCodex.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Yeah, when Minax tried to stop Blue Max!

As I said, U2 needs a remake and leaving out the part where you pilot that plane strafing and bombing was bad. Well, I always thought of this game when I found the planes.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Where did all the races & OTHER sex go?
Probably changed because he didn't want H.Beam Piper suing his arse.
Little Fuzzy
Codex

Fuzzies.gif
It is possible that OTHER might have been a transgender, neuter (eunuch), hermaphrodite, a plant being like an ent (not likely), headless (even less likely), or even a construct like a robot or golem. Likely, nearly all destroyed or went into hiding. The constructs/robots would be destroyed. Very doubtful for undead which would be m/f/o as well.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I was thinking today about the water in ultima (mostly 1-5). Consider this, I'm coming from a c64/128 pov.
Now in Ultima 1 (I haven't played the original appleII version but i really should due to it being a sort of proto-questron in a way) the waters were just there. They were dark, but the transport in any direction via craft esp aircars made them not a huge issue. Quite fun in the remaster on the c64.

Ultima 2 on the c64 was weird and the getting a damn boat or plane was a pain. Once you had a boat or a stupid pirate boat you could exploit by making bridges of ships everywhere, the green/blue waters (yeah c64) weren't all that bad. Besides, in that game serpents and pirates didn't have long range (then again, neither did you).

Ultima 3 is what I call the dark waters. Ultima's literal, WWIII, with the evil machine (found out later) literally summoning or gating creations into the waters and land. The winds were the most annoying and INVALID MOVE! was a common message I'd see. Likely, you'd drown in a small puddle of the dark waters just like the ocean or lakes. Hell, all the water looked the same. Oh look, a WHIRLPOOL!!!! (GLUG GLUG GLUG).

Then we hit what really made me enjoy sprites and colors in the Ultima series a whole damn lot. The three different types of water in Ultima 4. The light colored water (cyan maybe or sea green), the normal deep waters, and the god damn mega deep dangerous waters of deep seas and lakes. That shit made me pause the first few times ever seeing it. I don't recall it ever causing hull damage but it is a damn wonder a stray wave or storm didn't come in to give you trouble. The WHIRLPOOL was back with not much of a vengeance since the oceans were sooo damn huge but water spouts were around from time to time (I think.. I usually only recall them in dungeons if that makes any sense.. proto-water elementals?).

Ultima 5, introduced coastlines, waterfalls, and I guess close enough to true rivers. Sharks were introduced as well. The shallows didn't bring that sparkle in my eyes like ultima 4 but it did reflect the dark mood of u5. Falling down a series of waterfalls via the raft (also or rather skiffs) was introduced. The flying carpet reminded me of the aircar again. HUZZAH!

The swamps from 2 made a comeback in 4+ (swamp boots were great when the were finally introduced). Energy fields had been around since ultima 1 and maybe Akalabeth. In Ultima 2 they were nasty but I wasn't all that impressed by their presence. In Ultima 3 I rather thought of going to the barber a few times but they looked pretty cool anyways. But damn Ultima 4 again. These fields had me mesmerized again. Combine them with lava or water or the various floor patterns and damn. Ultima 5 was pretty impressive as well but U4 still holds more to me.

In Ultima 4 Lava in ultima 3 set the mood quite right often and I loved it. Lava in Ultima 4 was cool but I still liked the brighter red in U3 but the effect in U4 was damn great. U5 lava seemed too bright and now, I can't really recall how terrible it was treading through.

We're probably lucky the fiery lava or fields didn't blind us in the earlier ultimas temporarily or permanently until cured. It would have probably made death more likely. And storms in the water would have sucked as well. It would have been cool to have drowning or swimming though to get to shore even if we were taking damage on failed swim check (think phantasie series). The water falls will always remind me of the water current in that first little area of Wasteland. I think I always jumped in the water there just for kicks.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It took 30 years to discover this: https://ultimacodex.com/2023/06/eating-magic-mushrooms-makes-you-fly-in-serpent-isle/

Eating Magic Mushrooms Makes You Fly…In “Serpent Isle”​

It’s hard being an Avatar. The weight of the world is on your shoulders; you move from one potentially world-ending crisis to the next, occasionally coming home only to have your much-needed rest interrupted by burglaries or Time Lords rousing you from your slumber. Who among us wouldn’t at least be tempted to crack under the pressure?

And then one day, you’re wandering through a forest on a strange — yet strangely familiar — land, and you happen across some mushrooms. It’s late, you’re tired, and you’ve been battling reapers and goblins all day. Your nerves are shot, and your wits are at their very end; the last ounce of caring you had to give got left behind in Fawn because…by the Virtues those people were rude, but nobody deserved to die like that. It’s almost a blessing that Iolo isn’t around to complain about being hungry, although you know deep down that you’re going to have to address the fact that he’s been possessed by a Bane of Chaos at some point. Because of course you’ll have to; you’re the Avatar, and everything is always your problem to fix.

And you happen upon some mushrooms.

You’ve always ignored the mushrooms, everywhere you’ve encountered them. They’ve always just been part of the scenery to you, not something you’ve ever looked on as a thing to be trifled with. But it’s late — 1:30 AM! — and in a moment of weakness, you sneak a bit of the largest green-and-white mushroom in view.

And suddenly…your feet aren’t touching the ground anymore.

All narrative fun aside, Marzo (yes, the developer of the Keyring Mod for Exult, and an active contributor to the Exult codebase) was poking around in the Exult usecode, wherein he discovered a number of unknown flags, including flag 36. Investigating in the in-game cheat menu, Marzo was able to confirm that flag 36 is the flag for flight in Serpent Isle. Which then led him to investigate what could trigger that flag.

Ultimately, he was able to discover that double-clicking certain mushroom shapes (e.g. shape 960, the large green-and-white mushroom pictured above) between midnight and 7:00 AM (in-game time, not your local system time) would occasionally cause the party member chosen to eat the mushroom to take flight. According to Marzo, the odds are about 1 in 7 overall.

But the reason this easter egg has remained hidden for over 30 years is due not just to the low odds of actually having a character take flight, or to the fact that it has to be after midnight in the game. There’s also a third factor: the usecode that sets the flight flag will also only trigger after the Banes have been released. Additionally, not every mushroom you see in the game will work: the large green-and-white mushrooms will (but not the small ones), and the purple-and-white mushrooms should as well (again, just the large ones).

What’s more, this easter egg works in both Exult and the original game; it may even allow you to walk across water. You can also change the height of the flying character(s) by making use of staircases or stacked crates.

Marzo has been discussing this over in the Exult-specific channel on the UDIC Discord server; feel free to drop in there if you have any questions (or any difficulties reproducing the easter egg).

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I bet that leads to tons of ridiculous sequence breaking that makes Serpent Isle's progression even more broken than it is by default.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
This is just one of the Ultima projects I've been loosely following. Ultima 5 Redux, ultima 1 remaster using NES u3 engine, and The Dark Unknown.

https://ultimacodex.com/2023/02/ultima-v-redux-behaviours-and-graphics-overhaul/

https://ultimacodex.com/2022/03/fox-cunning-is-working-on-a-remaster-of-the-nes-port-of-ultima-1/

https://ultimacodex.com/2023/01/the-dark-unknown-pixel-artist-needed/

But, I forgef if I'm missing some other important ultima projects.

One thing that has irked me for a few years now is a video with an Ultima 3 song remaster done as a video I can NOT find anymore on youtube. It mixes nes & c64 i thing but heavy rock themes in the combat music. I can upload the mp3 sometime but I don't have the video. I just can't find the old youtube entry.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
About to start The Black Gate. How heavy on taking notes is it compared to U4 or something like Darklands?
I took 1,600 words of notes on my first playthrough, which is 100 words less than my Ultima 4 notes. A lot of it was unnecessary though, since I wrote down a lot of flavor text without realizing.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Black Gate doesn't require you to remember any keywords and if you are using Exult, you have the keyring also. I am sure I got through it the first time without picking up a pen. However, I was a lot younger at the time and had no problem memorizing event teleporting dungeon layouts. I suspect that would not be the case now...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://github.com/Chevluh/Ultima-9-Blender-Importer

Ultima 9 model importer​

A Blender importer for models used in the 1999 game Ultima IX: Ascension

Features​

This can import most models used in Ultima 9, with reasonable approximations of the in-game shaders for Eevee and Cycles. Overall it should allow for a fairly faithful viewing experience.

Two importers are provided. The terrain importer can read the terrain files in the static directory, which are textured terrain heightmaps. The model importer can read the fixed files in the static directory and nonfixed files in the runtime directory. Those file contain map objects in the same space as their respective terrains, so importing the fixed, nonfixed and terrain files of a given map will give you a pretty faithful reconstruction.

The model importer has a second mode, when opening the sappear.flx model archive file directly. The importer will ask for a model ID and, optionally, a range. This can be used to import a single model, or several models in one go using the range to specify how many models should be imported in one go. The model IDs range from 0 to 3764. However, some of the entries are invalid. Placeholder cubes are filtered but other script objects are not. MEshes are labeled with their model ID so the ranged import can be used to hunt for interesting IDs. It is however not advised to import the whole range in one go as performance can degrade fast.

Terrains are imported as single meshes. Models are segmented by limb, each parented to an empty. If a model has LODs, they currently all reside within the same hierarchy. Water planes are not imported

A listing of the maps can be found at https://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Unused_Ultima_IX_maps

Some notable maps are 14 (the Avatar's house), 9 (the entirety of Britannia) and 98 (The E3 demo). Some interesting and/or random models to start with are 3223 (Avatar in scale armor), 3225 (Avatar in a loincloth), 1805 (Lord British), 1834 (the Guardian), 1869 and 2865(Raven), 2 (a sergeant), 1793 (Lord British's throne).

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://github.com/Chevluh/Ultima-9-Blender-Importer

Ultima 9 model importer​

A Blender importer for models used in the 1999 game Ultima IX: Ascension

Features​

This can import most models used in Ultima 9, with reasonable approximations of the in-game shaders for Eevee and Cycles. Overall it should allow for a fairly faithful viewing experience.

Two importers are provided. The terrain importer can read the terrain files in the static directory, which are textured terrain heightmaps. The model importer can read the fixed files in the static directory and nonfixed files in the runtime directory. Those file contain map objects in the same space as their respective terrains, so importing the fixed, nonfixed and terrain files of a given map will give you a pretty faithful reconstruction.

The model importer has a second mode, when opening the sappear.flx model archive file directly. The importer will ask for a model ID and, optionally, a range. This can be used to import a single model, or several models in one go using the range to specify how many models should be imported in one go. The model IDs range from 0 to 3764. However, some of the entries are invalid. Placeholder cubes are filtered but other script objects are not. MEshes are labeled with their model ID so the ranged import can be used to hunt for interesting IDs. It is however not advised to import the whole range in one go as performance can degrade fast.

Terrains are imported as single meshes. Models are segmented by limb, each parented to an empty. If a model has LODs, they currently all reside within the same hierarchy. Water planes are not imported

A listing of the maps can be found at https://wiki.ultimacodex.com/wiki/Unused_Ultima_IX_maps

Some notable maps are 14 (the Avatar's house), 9 (the entirety of Britannia) and 98 (The E3 demo). Some interesting and/or random models to start with are 3223 (Avatar in scale armor), 3225 (Avatar in a loincloth), 1805 (Lord British), 1834 (the Guardian), 1869 and 2865(Raven), 2 (a sergeant), 1793 (Lord British's throne).
...and this is to be used for what?

ShaggyMoose

Savant
That site was interesting; looking at the complaints, they are completely valid. But even the last time I played through with Exult, I just didn't notice the janky movement and framerate because that is how I expected them to be. If you were playing this for the first time, you would be thinking "nope".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom