Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Risen 2 Thread

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
So, where can I buy hunting tools in the Sword Coast? One of the natives said one of their women would sell some to me, but I don't see any in her stock. I wanna skin and bone animals to make more cash.
kill the alligator for the gatherers then talk to the guy that was too old to go to the earth temple about access to weapons.

Tigranes

Arcane
Looks like I'm nearing the conclusion, as I am now
in the Isle of the Dead and have all four artefacts.
Game remains quite very consistent in quality, am a little disappointed it didn't open up or the combat become better over time as I'd hoped but still a solid fun game and definitely a PB title. Looking forward to a voodoo run.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Looks like I'm nearing the conclusion, as I am now. Game remains quite very consistent in quality, am a little disappointed it didn't open up or the combat become better over time as I'd hoped but still a solid fun game and definitely a PB title. Looking forward to a voodoo run.

A better last half than was in Risen then? That was so awful.

Dexter

Arcane
So apparently both the pirate clothes DLC and the other two supposedly are already part of the game:
spawn_dlc3hisc55.png

The only thing apparently happening when one downloads/activates a DLC is that it gets activated within the game and dialogue_language_dlc3.pak gets downloaded to be used for the spoken dialogue (the Treasure Island DLC for instance is only 48MB big).

I believe some people found a way around this in the Test Mode of the game, I don't know the exact details but apparently one can enter "Test Mode" by typing "pommes" in game, it should display "TestMode Activated" and enable the console, after that apparently spawning "DLC helpers" seems to work:

spawn dlc1h
spawn dlc2h
spawn dlc3h

umvjrqmueeon38e0spawnyar6p.png

made

Arcane
The Pirate Edition (the way it's meant to be played) comes with all DLC already unlocked.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The Pirate Edition (the way it's meant to be played) comes with all DLC already unlocked.

At least one of them is missing Treasure Island voicefiles, but they can be easily found from intarwebs

Dexter

Arcane

I know, it just drives home the point that it is indeed cut out content (which was already on the disc) and not "something extra" like a whole bunch of tards are always trying to argue.
And it also drives home the point how sloppy this was done, similar to that Mass Effect 3 video with the Prothean dude (although that one was even missing more physical content than this and not just the voice files).

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
As far as I've gathered, The Treasure Island DLC is partly on the game disc (like NPCs) and the downloaded DLC files have the actual voiceover files and some script which adds the NPCs into the gameworld.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I can't comment on gameplay too much as I'm only a few hours in and still exploring, it has the PB vibe to it . I'm not really getting my ass kicked because I have Patty with me but I'm sure that will change. I keep wanting to play more and am enjoying what I have seen so for. I guess I'm at the equivilent of finding then exploring around the Don's camp in Risen 1 right now.

My initial complaints are mostly technical but that is my fault for installing a game on day two. First of all, I wanted to buy this game from several outlets, I didn't care. I wanted to give my fifty bones to PB yet I couldn't get a clear and concise product description, ie: Was I getting the Cut Down Game or the Full Game? I'm still unclear on that. At first I thought one island was cut, but actually two of them were. The pre-order is over now and I bought one, still not sure what I'm getting. Of course it doesn't matter as there are faster ways to get the full version without any hassle. Or money. I'm really not sure why publishers do this. I figured day-one sales would be something they were interested in, especially when you know that a PB game is going to get raked across the coals by the average 'game reviewer'. Why would you cripple your product just before releasing it?

The second issue is that I had trouble playing it because it was making me almost nauseous but not quite, I was getting headaches after about half an hour. I never get headaches and I drink a lot. I've played video games for over three decades and this was one of the few times it had happened. I think Metro and maybe Bioshock did the same thing and the solution was to change the FOV from 70 to 90. I believe the default for most Quake games at 4:3 has always been 90 but the newer games on consoles crush it down to 75 or less to avoid perfomance issues. Maybe it works on a big screen.

Yet, even after changing this it's still bugging me, I can play for about an hour. I got rid of DoF as well, maybe there is blur in there as well. Also had to drop my resolution to get the framerates to around 30-60fps. It's not so bad now but the pop-in/morphing vegetation is probably having an effect. I also noticed that shadows tend to 'jitter', colours are washed out and bland at times. I don't know. I can drink thirty beers and play ET or DDO for hours on end but this game is actually giving me a bit of pain in my brain.

I went and played some Crysis Warhead for a couple of hours, then Risen 1 and Gothic 1 for most of the night and had fun and no issues. I run Risen 2 and I'm almost getting a headache again. It's only taking about an hour and a half now but something is really wonky with the graphics, not sure how to fix it. I have never had this happen to me before that couldn't be fixed with a FOV setting.

Anyways, the game seems cool, just have to take it in small bites for now. Maybe it's the morphing vegetation, I haven't seen that before and maybe my brain just doesn't know how to process it. I'm looking forward to a patch.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I also have the headaches problem in games, but in my case it was motion blur / depth of field. What's weird is that initially I also had it in Risen 2 with all the blurring effects turned off... I think there's some background blurring that's left even after that. I can only say that the nauseating effect stopped after 3-4 hours; hope it'll be the same in your case.

Elwro

Arcane
Yaar Podshipnik Yeah, this could be it. Also I think it helped when I pushed all display distances up in the config file...

edit: the achievements are bugged. I killed hundreds of animals and didn't get the "kill 20 animals" achievement.

So, did anyone activate the Temple of Air cut content?

made

Arcane
I enjoyed exploring the first two islands despite the obvious flaws, telling myself that once the game opens up for real it will get better. Well, now it did open up but I just can't bring myself to play anymore.

Combat is so unbelievably tedious, my index finger hurts from mashing LMB, and my middle finger hurts from mashing RMB to get the atrocious dialogue over with asap. With shit combat and shit writing the rest of the game had better be stellar, but as far as exploration goes it's actually the worst PB game to date.

On top of that, character development is a joke: no longer do weapons have stat requirements, so you can dump all your points into cunning from the start until you can open every chest and sweet-talk every npc which nets you tons of gold, and still use the best weapons you find. Between godmode companions and easily exploitable combat mechanics, there's no incentive to invest into combat talents until you have points to spare. And since there's plenty of XP to go around, and there's a host of stat and talent boosting legendary items, not to mention potions, it seems like you can max or close to every single talent by the end of the game.

I do like the monkey though. Shame it's only really useful on a few occasions.

Elwro

Arcane
Once I stole a nice spade from
the shack behind Benito
and got the healer companion the combat became a little bit more bearable.

Tigranes

Arcane
A couple of good points from made. I actually never noticed the item stat prerequisites going away (WTF, dude :oops:), but that really should be there. In my first playthrough I got all the best items late in the game, but that obviously isn't the case subsequent times.

I did just about everything in the game except the little things I probably missed, and I was at 6 Blade, 10 muskets, 4 toughness, 8 cunning, 1 voodoo with a bit of glory to spare. That's a little too much for me, but I imagine if you're not a completionist that leaves no animal alive on each island it wouldn't be. I think it would have been OK if there were more higher-level enemies (e.g. a few more gorillas, and more skilled human enemies), and end-game stuff like higher tier items and skill training cost more. As it is, I fought the final battle on Hard and won in 30 seconds by musketing in the face. Halfway through I realised I'd be beating the end boss with no damage taken, so switched to the sword, but still got away after chugging a couple bottles of rum.

I know there were a few mods for Risen 1, really hope we get a harder difficulty and more expensive stuff mod. On a second playthrough now and I'm going to try and play a low-cunning dude, and never exploit AI/etc to loot places, and see how that goes.

Stauff

Liturgist
Still can't cope that you can't loot NPC and can't even kill most of them. Why this was altered from system that was used in 3 games is beyond my understanding.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Still can't cope that you can't loot NPC and can't even kill most of them. Why this was altered from system that was used in 3 games is beyond my understanding.

I think it's the Publisher. Killing humans (those that don't attack you on first sight), robbing them after a beating etc. isn't very PC.

Stauff

Liturgist
I think it's the Publisher. Killing humans (those that don't attack you on first sight), robbing them after a beating etc. isn't very PC.

Killing someone in G1/G2/R1 crowded areas typically meant quick and painful death..(at least during first chapters) so evil PC is sufficiently rewarded..
Not far in R2 - is there at least a brothel?

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Killing someone in G1/G2/R1 crowded areas typically meant quick and painful death..(at least during first chapters) so evil PC is sufficiently rewarded..
Not far in R2 - is there at least a brothel?
There is no brothel. No awkward fade-to-black sex scenes for you!

Some of the freedom of the Gothic games is definitely missing in R2, but it's still a pretty good game to me. It's not a great game like G2, but it's still plenty fun in spite of its flaws.

Mortmal

Arcane
Dont understand why people blame themselves for buying day one and encountering bugs, you dont get this on console games and its same price, you all got way too tolerant with that shit. Would it be some gigantic open world with revolutionary gameplay i would agree and accept a few bugs , but there , they serve us the exact same gameplay since gothic 1.
Talking of bugs you can encounter a few game breaking ones, keep multiple saves as if you dont do the things exactly like its scripted you willl miss dilaogues or part of the quests. I should mention the hilarious pathing bugs, patty falling from ship etc.. etc..Some quest are really poorly done, for example sabotaging the canon, i thought first knocking out the guards and sabotaging, but that was a dumb brute solution and the guard one shot me , i must have done something wrong. So i went to a spoiler site and well... my dumb solution was the only one, no stealth , no dialogue, nothing , disapointing to say the least.
Whats even more weird is combat is usually both trivial and tedious except this very one guard who one shot me.
The setting and humor saves it , but if you have patience (wich i dont ) , just wait for an heavily patched platinum version for 50% on steam.

mvBarracuda

Augur
There is no brothel. No awkward fade-to-black sex scenes for you!
Not true. The girl in the archive in Caldera seduces you by mentioning that she just wanted to wish you goodbye. After that it fades to black ;-)

EDIT: I think you need to have a high silver-tongue to make it happen though. I think one check was silver-tongue >= 60. Can anyone confirm that she lates seduces you if you didn't originally use the silver-tongue line?

Tigranes

Arcane
Haven't seen any gamebreaking bugs for myself or others, except for the bug with the sabotage quest which requires a crude way through.

mvBarracuda

Augur
I couldn't join the voodoo side in my 2nd playthrough as their scout was stuck near their camp. He wouldn't walk the few meters to the camp, so I couldn't finish the quest. Fortunately I planned (and did, in the end) to join the inquisition anyway, as I already sided with the natives in my first play-through.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Dont understand why people blame themselves for buying day one and encountering bugs, you dont get this on console games and its same price, you all got way too tolerant with that shit. Would it be some gigantic open world with revolutionary gameplay i would agree and accept a few bugs , but there , they serve us the exact same gameplay since gothic 1.
Talking of bugs you can encounter a few game breaking ones, keep multiple saves as if you dont do the things exactly like its scripted you willl miss dilaogues or part of the quests. I should mention the hilarious pathing bugs, patty falling from ship etc.. etc..Some quest are really poorly done, for example sabotaging the canon, i thought first knocking out the guards and sabotaging, but that was a dumb brute solution and the guard one shot me , i must have done something wrong. So i went to a spoiler site and well... my dumb solution was the only one, no stealth , no dialogue, nothing , disapointing to say the least.
Whats even more weird is combat is usually both trivial and tedious except this very one guard who one shot me.
The setting and humor saves it , but if you have patience (wich i dont ) , just wait for an heavily patched platinum version for 50% on steam.

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you playing this on a console then? Or better yet, playing Fable on your xbox right now? I heard it doesn't require patience. I do agree with waiting a year and getting the full game properly patched with all of the cut content/DLC's for a fraction of the cost. This is the first time in many years that I've bought day-one, but it was Piranha Bytes, I couldn't help it because I wanted to play an actual video game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom