Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Wesp5

Arcane
Speaking about loot, not the best idea to place money and guns randomly all over the streets (or toilets) of your game world for any random pack rat to access. Unless you don't give a damn about the integrity of your fiction -- not that The Outer Worlds would be alone with this.
That is one of the biggest problems in TOW for me. And it's not just money and weapons, illegal stuff like the lockpicking and hacking tools are found all over the place as well! Also it basically removes the need to use vendors except for selling all the loot you find...

Child of Malkav

Erudite
That is one of the biggest problems in TOW for me. And it's not just money and weapons, illegal stuff like the lockpicking and hacking tools are found all over the place as well! Also it basically removes the need to use vendors except for selling all the loot you find...
It's insane how much generic loot you get in that game. End up with 20-25k ammo of all 3 types by the of the game. In first few hours of gameplay you amass enough ammo for it not to be a concern and it only goes up from there.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
On the other hand, the people who marketed it are geniuses. They uttered the phrase "New Vegas", did some jazz hands, and then made a hundred million dollars.
No. Not that smart. Just bunch of gamers are sad gaming addicts that would swallow anything with 0.1% of Fallout in it. Imagine drinking apple juice with <1% of apple while sitting in apple orchard. That's playing this shit while ignoring all the good indie shit

People were trained to be shiteaters. Trained by Infinitroons of this World. 337 pages. FUCKING SHAME ON YOU CODEX

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
On the other hand, the people who marketed it are geniuses. They uttered the phrase "New Vegas", did some jazz hands, and then made a hundred million dollars.
It's not like there was much competition for first-person RPGs when this thing released.

My personal motto for most people who buy these things:

I have no taste but I must CONSOOM.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
THE PEOPLE WHO MADE THIS GAME
ARE
NOT
VERY SMART OR COMPETENT?!
"We had a lot of discussions even before the base game shipped, that especially among consumables, we had too much loot to track." - Tim Cain

Feargus won.

Wesp5

Arcane
"We had a lot of discussions even before the base game shipped, that especially among consumables, we had too much loot to track." - Tim Cain

Feargus won.
Tim really said that? In that case I would guess today game directors have no real influence about how their game ends up at all :(.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Tim really said that? In that case I would guess today game directors have no real influence about how their game ends up at all :(.
He only agreed to be a lead if Feargus promised not to second-guess him. Feargus lied, and on top of that he went behind his back to tell a dev to implement content Tim already said he didn't want in the game (Tim caught it and was furious, told the dev he could no longer trust him; he already knew he couldn't trust Feargus).

It was similar issues that made him quit Fallout 2. He was left alone on Fallout because nobody cared about it. With Troika, he was the boss, and just had to deal with the publisher's conditions.

Perkel

Arcane
It was similar issues that made him quit Fallout 2.
Tim does youtube stuff and he said directly that main reason he left Fallout 2 was Fargo screwing him on money. Tim was supposed to divide bonuses between dev members. He got it divided, handed it to Fargo, Fargo accepted it. Later on he got a check and it was nothing like agreed money. He went to HR to check and yes bonuses changed completely. He went to Fargo and Fargo was like "yeah, you know why you are 5th ? Because one time you didn't want to tell me who was guy responsible for one bug so i made you responsible for it instead". Tim handed resignation next day. After which Boyarski and one other guy did the same and they went to found Troika in the end.

Meddling was just secondary thing.

Interplay was ship of fools headed by biggest of them all. Fargo.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Meddling was just secondary thing.

Interplay was ship of fools headed by biggest of them all. Fargo.
Fargo claims he has no recollection of this. :M

Before the revelation of the Bonus that Wasn't he put all the blame on meddling.

Feargus planned to give Fallout 2 to the producer of Descent to Undermountain if I didn’t take it. While I personally liked that producer, I hated Descent. I thought the sequel would suffer under similar direction. I told Feargus that I would do the sequel and began working on a design.

Before leaving for Thanksgiving, I informed Feargus that I was thinking of quitting. I wanted him to know how I was feeling about development and how deeply I had been affected. I was worried that the same problems I had experienced during the development of Fallout would persist during the making of Fallout 2. Feargus said he understood.

When I returned, he asked if I had made a decision. I had not, and so I began work on Fallout 2. I worked out a new design and made an aggressive schedule to get the game out by the end of October 1998. I then started working on the game as lead designer and producer.

But the same problems resurfaced. For example, to save time and money, I had decided to have the same internal artists make the box for Fallout 2. Feargus was upset that I had made such a decision without consulting him, but when I talked to Marketing, they were fine with the idea. But then Sales decided to change the box size and style, which would create problems for making the second box look similar to the first. In a meeting with Sales where Feargus was present, I was told that the decision was made and “there will be no further discussion on it.”

I decided I had enough. Leonard and Jason, who could tell I was unhappy, had told me weeks earlier that they were unwilling to work on the sequel without me. Rather than simply quit, I remembered that Brian had told me years ago, after a programmer had quit under bad circumstances, that he wished people would come and talk to him rather than quit.

I went to Brian in December and told him that I was unhappy and wanted to quit. I decided to be frank and honest, and told him that other people also weren’t happy and might resign with me. He wanted names. I told him about Leonard and Jason. Other people declined to be mentioned.

Throughout December and January, the three of us met with Brian to discuss the problems and see what solutions might be found. We wanted to meet with Brian as a group to prevent any misunderstandings that might arise from separate meetings. In fact, I wanted Feargus there, too, but Brian only included him once toward the end. Brian seemed surprised that I was getting resistance to doing Fallout 2 my way. His attitude was, “You did well on the first game, so just do it again on the second.”

Unfortunately, this meant running to Brian whenever anyone tried to force their own ideas into the game, which didn’t seem like a good working environment. We discussed this problem and raised other issues at these meetings, such as converting our bonus plan to a royalty-based plan. Brian did not like the idea of royalties. As for how to handle creative control, Brian said I could divide the responsibilities with Feargus, so I could handle Marketing and other departments directly, and they would have to effectively treat me as a division director. This seemed unsatisfactory to me, but Feargus seemed very unhappy that his own authority and responsibilities concerning Fallout 2 would be greatly reduced in this plan.

It was unclear how some issues would get resolved, such as budgeting for equipment and maintenance, since I didn’t have a division director’s budget. Brian handwaved these issues, saying that we’d work them out.

At that point, I regretted not abiding my original instinct to walk out and trying to work things out with Brian. In mid-January, I decided to leave the com-pany. I told Feargus, who accepted my resignation and asked me to work until the end of the month. We went to talk to Trish Wright, the executive producer, who was unhappy to see me leave but accepted it. She warned me that Brian might be very upset, but I wanted to tell him that day. I returned to my office and told Leonard and Jason that I had quit, effective at the end of the month. Then I went and told Brian.

As expected, he was not happy. We talked for an hour, but the meeting was cut short because I had a dental appointment. While I was at the dentist, Leonard and Jason also decided to tender their resignations. I didn’t speak to Brian after that day, and I finished out the month with my team.

My team was surprised and unhappy, having heard nothing of my months of meetings with Brian. I met with them to make sure the design for Fallout 2 was up-to-date. And I met with Feargus; my replacement, Eric Demilt, who would produce Fallout 2; and other designers, such as Chris Avellone and Zeb Cook, who would assume my design responsibilities.

Perkel

Arcane
Fargo claims he has no recollection of this. :M
Before the revelation of the Bonus that Wasn't he put all the blame on meddling.

I don't think 3 people quit on the same day over some minor meddling... Even in that video Tim said that bonus stuff wasn't the only thing. He was overworked etc. and the bonus was the last straw.

Yosharian

Arcane
Is it me or is Tim Cain just a little bitch. He slobbers all over Amazon's balls saying how good the Fallout show is, and now I'm hearing how Feargus rode him like a bitch over TOW's development... At some point, you're just a little bitch and you need to stand up for yourself and your creative products, sorry.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Yeah but it had to be major thing for all 3 of them...
There's no mystery here, he explains it all there in the story. They didn't want to work on Fallout 2 if he wasn't on it.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
It's always the same story with these people when game turns out badly, dog ate my homework excuses and blaming everybody around them.

Especially funny when they all contradict each other. Feargus supposedly forced everybody to make overly sexualized model of Katarina in Dungeon Siege, but somehow on TOW the same Feargus forced everbody to make every NPC into ugly butch lesbians.

Like, at least pick a story and stick to it.

Last edited:

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Is it me or is Tim Cain just a little bitch. He slobbers all over Amazon's balls saying how good the Fallout show is, and now I'm hearing how Feargus rode him like a bitch over TOW's development... At some point, you're just a little bitch and you need to stand up for yourself and your creative products, sorry.
Dude is GAY BOTTOM. Come on guys. COME ON BROES! Do you REALLY think that doesn't, his design and programming genius aside, spill over into his character?! 200% serious here

Are you surprised? Are you all REALLY surprised??

:codexisfor::neveraskedforthis:

Cohesion

Liturgist
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Dude is GAY BOTTOM. Come on guys. COME ON BROES! Do you REALLY think that doesn't, his design and programming genius aside, spill over into his character?! 200% serious here

Are you surprised? Are you all REALLY surprised??

:codexisfor::neveraskedforthis:
Maybe he is a top gay? Citation needed.

Ryzer

Arcane
I would agree that the general premise and setup for ToW was pretty good - I mean, that's why I tried the game, because the setting looked cool. I even liked the graphics, with the garish alien life, etc.

I imagine that Tim and Leonard came up with the premise and general plot and the junior writers messed it up, because Tim often said that he can't write and I never heard that Leonard wrote something either. I bet with Bloodlines it was the same at first, either them or Jason came up with the main story, but they were lucky that Mitsoda came along later to make it and the characters work.
Who wrote Arcanum? I refuse to believe that Edward R.G. Mortimer is a real person.
GB: An individual by the name of Edward R. G. Mortimer is credited as the game’s main writer. From what I can tell, he was an editor and contributor to Judges Guild, a pen and paper RPG publisher from way back in the day, but very little is known about him. Can you shed some light on who Mr. Mortimer really was and what he did for Arcanum?

CM: My memory on this was pretty fuzzy, so I had to go straight to the source: Tim Cain. Tim told me that Edward G. Mortimer was a designer from the Judges Guild - a company that made modules for D&D and AD&D back in the 70’s and early 80’s. Mortimer wrote some really good modules for them, so Tim contracted him to do some additional writing for Arcanum. Back then it was much more difficult to coordinate with employees remotely, so most of what he wrote was additional material for our generated dialog system. Although he didn’t end up being a major contributor over the long term, Tim was happy to have worked with (and hired, in fact!) one of his favorite JG designers.

For my part, the one thing I remember about Edward R. G. Mortimer was that he had the snazziest pair of rainbow suspenders I have ever seen.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GameBanshee/comments/jqifx1/chad_moore_interview/
His books are on amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Books-Edward-R-G-Mortimer/s?rh=n:283155,p_27:Edward+R.G.+Mortimer
s-l1200.jpg

Old Hans

Arcane
It's insane how much generic loot you get in that game. End up with 20-25k ammo of all 3 types by the of the game. In first few hours of gameplay you amass enough ammo for it not to be a concern and it only goes up from there.
it's a total red flag in the Obsidian design philosophy. a 20 hour rpg, but the devs treat the looting like it's fallout 76, because they're worried people will get bored if they're not picking up random junk every 10 seconds

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Loot in The Outer Worlds is fundamentally different from classic open world RPGs, in that weapon types aren't area-gated in any way. Gain enough levels while you're in Edgewater and you will come out of there wielding a big-ass Plasma Launcher. It's part of what makes TOW feel like a DLC mission for a Bethesda RPG, where you lose all your items but are given replacements very quickly to suit your already high-level character.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom