Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The insane kinda-RPGs of MDickie

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who the fuck moved this out of RPG Discussion? Infinitron ?

Most of these games have genuine RPG elements. You get to allocate stats during character creation (strength, endurance, etc) and they can rise or fall depending on your actions (increase-by-use system similar to Elder Scrolls).

Hard Time character creation screen:
20230926152836_1.jpg

Extra Lives character creation screen:
20230926153150_1.jpg

The You Testament character creation screen:
20230926153638_1.jpg

Is this not RPG enough for you?
Actual character creation where you customize sex, appearance, and attributes?
With a point buy system that forces you to minmax or go for a balanced build?

That's not enough to qualify the games for General RPG Discussion?

Explain yourself Infinitron

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has the developer ever called his games RPGs?
Why does it matter what the developer calls his games when I just showed screenshot evidence that the games have strong RPG mechanics?
Stronger RPG mechanics, in fact, than some games whose threads you leave in RPG Discussion.

FYI on Mobygames the main criterium for assigning genres to a game is what's in the actual game, it doesn't matter what the devs call it. Why does your standard weigh the words of the devs higher than the mechanics inside the game?

pOcHa

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Who the fuck moved this out of RPG Discussion? Infinitron ?

Most of these games have genuine RPG elements. You get to allocate stats during character creation (strength, endurance, etc) and they can rise or fall depending on your actions (increase-by-use system similar to Elder Scrolls).

Hard Time character creation screen:
20230926152836_1.jpg

Extra Lives character creation screen:
20230926153150_1.jpg

The You Testament character creation screen:
20230926153638_1.jpg

Is this not RPG enough for you?
Actual character creation where you customize sex, appearance, and attributes?
With a point buy system that forces you to minmax or go for a balanced build?

That's not enough to qualify the games for General RPG Discussion?

Explain yourself Infinitron
  1. he hates jesus
  2. didn't get payed his customary 30 pieces of silver to shill for it

ropetight

Savant
Has the developer ever called his games RPGs?
Why does it matter what the developer calls his games when I just showed screenshot evidence that the games have strong RPG mechanics?
Stronger RPG mechanics, in fact, than some games whose threads you leave in RPG Discussion.

FYI on Mobygames the main criterium for assigning genres to a game is what's in the actual game, it doesn't matter what the devs call it. Why does your standard weigh the words of the devs higher than the mechanics inside the game?
Testament You 2D has more reactivity than Starfield, also better character creation, quests, combat and editor as RPG.
Yet we put looter shooter with bunch of loading screens into RPG section, but Wrestling Empire is not allowed there.

Turn_BASED

Educated
i would highly suggest picking up the you testament if you can get it under a $1 usd (i.e. right now at the time of this posting). absolutely ridiculous, using a wrestling engine to make an interesting version of the new testament where peter chokes out a centurion and simon beats some dumb bitch to death while jesus gets baptized in the river just at the bottom of the screen.
mdickie.png

gabel

fork's latest account
Patron
Looks like the RPG-version of Puppet Combo.

Turn_BASED

Educated
New game out:

Seems like another hood classic. From the reviews:

“Within the first hour i made a 6 foot tall 10 year old, pissed in the hallway, stole some water, went on the run, beat the ♥♥♥♥ out of someone with a wheelchair, and finally parked a motorcycle in the bathroom while my mom sat on the toilet and my dad threw a painting around.”

agris

Arcane
Patron
It’s the modern day rpg that MCA has dreamed about.

wonder if Avellone wrote any dialogue

ShaggyMoose

Savant
I never heard of this guy before, but I want to thank the OP for making me aware of this awesomeness; watching the videos on Steam was a revelation.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I bought the You Testament, and I just don't get it. It's cramped, controls are kind of awkward, lot of shit happens but I don't find any fun in it. It makes me feel claustrophobic.
Plus speech windows have a timeout before they can be closed which really gets on my nerves. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but not big deal anyway since I payed 70cents for it.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I bought the You Testament, and I just don't get it. It's cramped, controls are kind of awkward, lot of shit happens but I don't find any fun in it. It makes me feel claustrophobic.
Plus speech windows have a timeout before they can be closed which really gets on my nerves. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but not big deal anyway since I payed 70cents for it.
Follow the story, it's boring to just wander around without a reason.

But it's fun to try to follow Jesus and accidentally rip Maria's leg off because you missclicked.

agris

Arcane
Patron
it seems like the old (are they actually old?) fully 3D versions are more sandbox-y, although I'm not sure where you can legally get them from

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom