Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Guild Wars 2 Thread

rubinstein

Educated
Well I suppose the 400 or so Gold I made from PvP isn't going to waste. Sometimes I've been PvPing for so long I forget why I'm doing it in the first place..

28D19td.png
gen 2 leges are amazing, but oh boy, they are so fucken expensive. finished divinity the other day, but getting all the mystic coins was such a drag. seeing the classes and game modes i play i would never do the warhorn, but it looks spectacular. godspeed!

Last edited:

Drakortha

Liturgist
I got sued by Anet for posting one picture during the beta of the 2nd xpac. :')
I've been banned on their forums 3 times now for accusing users as being Anet employees. There's always a ton of backlash from that community if you criticize any aspect of the game, even simple stuff like the repetitive story or some of the gem shop items. They vehemently defend every aspect of the game no matter what it is.

Last edited:

Drakortha

Liturgist
Well I suppose the 400 or so Gold I made from PvP isn't going to waste. Sometimes I've been PvPing for so long I forget why I'm doing it in the first place..

28D19td.png
gen 2 leges are amazing, but oh boy, they are so fucken expensive. finished divinity the other day, but getting all the mystic coins was such a drag. seeing the classes and game mods i play i would never do the warhorn, but it looks spectacular. godspeed!
I have a few legendaries in the pipeline atm. Astralaria, Kudzu, Juggernaut, and Verdarach. I don't know know which I'll end up finishing, but I wanted to make it a point to at least get started on a few options.

Caim

Arcane
If you're into the legendary grind, at the end of the month patch 2 is supposed to hit with the new legendary armor, the legendary relic (which I find to be exasperatingly basic) and the far more exciting new weapon proficiencies. Gotta wonder if they implement those better than they did weaponmaster training.

Drakortha

Liturgist
If you're into the legendary grind, at the end of the month patch 2 is supposed to hit with the new legendary armor, the legendary relic
I hate the grind, it always burns me out. It's the reason I never started on a Legendary weapon until a few years ago and to this day still haven't finished any of them. I probably won't look at the armor and relic.

Darn, sounds like a really meh expansion.

Playing HoT after beating the story was fun, as you were platforming to climb the maps and fight challenging mobs, but after HoT there isn't much challenge in the regular gameplay anymore.

Drakortha

Liturgist

Playing HoT after beating the story was fun, as you were platforming to climb the maps and fight challenging mobs, but after HoT there isn't much challenge in the regular gameplay anymore.
It keeps getting easier especially with the addition of the Skyscale where you can just fly everywhere. The Skyscale single handedly makes all the other mounts obsolete including the glider and trivializes the older maps while undermining the original design of events, such as bosses. The GW2 community is in massive denial about this and just think flying a dragon with a stupid gemstore skin is the most fun thing in the world and that's all that matters.

Caim

Arcane

I came into the game rather late and contrasting SOTO to the first three expansions makes it very, very small. There's only two proper zones: a bunch of sky islands designed all around flying with some differences in scenery, and one's a bunch of abandoned empty school buildings with some demons running around in them. The other zones are a hub city where everything's near the center and the rest is just a bunch fo deserted hallways, with the other being not even a complete zone, but rather a third of one that looks a bit like the heaven levels from Doom Eternal.

The idea of sending you out in the world to close gates that spawn monsters is fine at first, but the gates are not very exciting and it's just the same monsters over and over again. The sky islands with the different timelines is a fine idea as well, but you're looking at one big island with some smaller adjacent ones is all you see in that theme. It'd be awesome if ANET reredesigned all the core game zones this way or at least took the major regions and ran with an idea, even something as simple as what if the Sons of Svanir/Nightmare Court/Inquest/Flame Legion won, but it'd be a major undertaking. Plus, ANET has said they wanted to move away from the huge expansions in favor of a SOTO like structure with a scope between a Living Season and an expansion.

Then again, they've been shitting the bed ever since the Icebrood Saga, specifically wrapping things up the way they did so they could get a move on.

Turbo normie

Scholar
I got sued by Anet for posting one picture during the beta of the 2nd xpac. :')
I've been banned on their forums 3 times now for accusing users as being Anet employees. There's always a ton of backlash from that community if you criticize any aspect of the game, even simple stuff like the repetitive story or some of the gem shop items. They vehemently defend every aspect of the game no matter what it is.

This game is really liked by the snowflakes. I remember Aurin's introduction, litteraly a gay toothless, all those tumblr remnants were like "AAAAAW SO CUTE AWESOME xDDD". Also the amount of transgender and LGBT players I met during my time was probably the highest.

And Anet doesn't like gamers, I've posted a small cropped screenshot from the beta to share the hype few days before the release, I got sued for financial damages. Fun fact, I didn't sign a NDA.

I didn't pay anything + when it happened they were in financial crisis and fired half of their staff, karma. :incline:

Drakortha

Liturgist
And Anet doesn't like gamers
They are definitely a shit company and are nothing like how they try to portray themselves. Actions speak louder than words. If they had any morals they wouldn't have loot boxes in the game which they like to put front and center in their gemstore.

They do have some very talented artists on their team as it's reflected in much of the game. But whoever is calling the shots over there and managing things is a cunt.

Drakortha

Liturgist
I'm banned from the GW2 forums for the 4th time. This time for posting in a thread someone else made calling WvW a boring grind. I agreed and made the criticism that WvW has become nothing but a grind where most players only go there to follow a commander train and grind for Gift of Battles. Of course the "this is fine" crowd showed up to protect their favorite game. It was probably 10 people to 1 saying that my opinion was wrong, and since their forum culture closely resembles Reddit culture I guess that automatically makes me the bad guy. I'm just a "provoker" who should "refrain from posting altogether". The moderator erased the entire thread as well which is a shame because it had GW2 fanboyism on full display.

3 Penalty points which will "Never Expire", by the way.

A9q3p4Y.png

ezxhT52.png

"Circumventing the Language Filter"
I must have crossed the line.. I used the word "backside" to describe where their heads were at.

Last edited:
When GW2 launched on Steam, I went to the forum there and gave new players tips (explaining the order you should get things, that the game is deceptively cheap and actually costs $100+ to get a quality experience, etc). At one point the discussion in thread turned towards the nosedive in the storytelling after season 4, and then I got slapped with a perma and all my posts giving players tips were deleted too.

Drakortha

Liturgist
When GW2 launched on Steam, I went to the forum there and gave new players tips (explaining the order you should get things, that the game is deceptively cheap and actually costs $100+ to get a quality experience, etc). At one point the discussion in thread turned towards the nosedive in the storytelling after season 4, and then I got slapped with a perma and all my posts giving players tips were deleted too.

Permanent ban. Nice. I dream of the day I'll be permabanned. I'd wear it like a badge of honor.

I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I just got to earn myself some more "Penalty Points".

Vyvian

Educated
I stopped bothering with their forums a couple years ago, it's sycophant central and wrongthink gets you booted faster than anywhere I've ever seen.
The game is spiralling anyway but fanboys refuse to see it. It's a weird feeling in GW2 spaces because all the signs of a dying game on the downturn are there but no one wants to say it's dying.
When your biggest "content creator" basically drops the game and shits on it constantly in MightyTeapot and moves to WoW you have a problem.

Drakortha

Liturgist
When your biggest "content creator" basically drops the game and shits on it constantly
Woodenpotatoes?

I used to watch Bikzesnake. He was critical of the sPvP side of things before he finally gave up and quit sometime around Path of Fire. He was right too and to this day Anet still haven't done anything with sPvP.

Vyvian

Educated
When your biggest "content creator" basically drops the game and shits on it constantly
Woodenpotatoes?

I used to watch Bikzesnake. He was critical of the sPvP side of things before he finally gave up and quit sometime around Path of Fire. He was right too and to this day Anet still haven't done anything with sPvP.
I actually forgot about him it's been awhile since I've seen anything from him.
Did he actually drop it entirely?

Drakortha

Liturgist
Woodenpotatoes?

I actually forgot about him it's been awhile since I've seen anything from him.
Did he actually drop it entirely?
Woodenpotatoes is still around, but he has slowed down a lot. He's expressed a lot of discontentment about the game and the choices ArenaNet keep making. I think the Icebrood Saga especially had him frustrated. I just checked his Youtube channel. His last video was 5 months ago, his last stream was 1 month ago.

Bikzesnake is gone. He quit the entire MMO/Streamer scene and got a new job and a girlfriend and a life. A total success story really.

If Teapot goes to WoW that is very bad optics for GW2. Dropping GW2 for an even older game.. and WoW of all things. If I was him I would just quit MMO's altogether at that point.

Last edited:

El Presidente

Arcane
GW2 never deserved Wooden Potatoes, he's a really good "standard" content creator, the kind that does somewhat normieish videos on the game. Also he uses Twinsen's moon track as his outro music, proving he's a good :obviously: fellow:

Teapot leans more on the hardcore, passionate side of the game and has said multiple times on his stream that WoW is the vastly superior and more engaging game for a more dedicated player wanting to do hard content. He didn't drop GW2 entirely but yeah he's been trying to shove WoW on his livestreams more and more, probably to test the waters and see if he can migrate, so to speak, his viewerbase to WoW content.

rubinstein

Educated
I think the Icebrood Saga especially had him frustrated.
yep. he seemed quite upset with the finale.
i havent played gw2 throught 2018-2022, barely even followed it, but afair i was still subscribed to him and then he dropped this video

and i just knew anet goofed up like really bad. what a glorious watch it is, 45 mins of realtalk.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
What kind of state is the game in these days? I remember playing this years ago but it didn't leave much of an impression, though some of the features (the group events instead of quests, active story) were pretty neat.

What kind of state is the game in these days? I remember playing this years ago but it didn't leave much of an impression, though some of the features (the group events instead of quests, active story) were pretty neat.

The base game maps are pitifully easy, not very fun to play in, look uninspiring, and are ignored by vets. Once you start getting into the expansion maps (HoT onwards), they are more challenging, have more sophisticated event design, look better and are more visually imaginative, and have more people playing them. The HoT expansions maps are the most fun (tougher mobs, multilayered map design, every map has a fun meta event) but some of the later maps are fun too (Dragonfall, Drizzlewood Coast, and Dragon's End are the most popular maps after the HoT maps, mainly due to the meta event).

3w53smU.jpeg

Starting with the HoT expansion, the devs began adding elite specializations for each class. Basically there are 27 elite specs/classes to choose from. Most of them aren't notable mechanically but you do get some variety in aesthetics so there are probably a few that appeal to you. Soulbeast is a ranger elite spec where he eats his pet to gain its ability, so you're kinda like a druid but you're still running around as a warrior with your sword or bow rather who can use a variety of animal attacks rather than becoming an animal. Untamed has gooey/oozey trap magic, I didn't like it at first (it was hyped up as a beastmaster spec but doesn't deliver on that fantasy) but I've begun warming up to the aesthetic of it and think it's pretty unique. Necromancer and Thief got evil themed heal elite specs that use sand or shadow magic (Scourge and Specter respectively) which is pretty unique for the genre. WoW and FF14 don't have evil themed healing specs or classes yet. Mechanist uses a golem made out of jade infused with magic to fight. Dragonhunter is a bow wielding paladin. Bladesworn is an anime swordsman who can flashstep but wields a gunpowder blade that detonates powder charges to accelerate his blade and dash forward or to blow up his enemy in the face. Etc. Latest expansion allows you to mix and match weapons from any elite spec.

dXweFdx.jpeg

Top row: Bladesworn, Scourge, Dragonhunter. Bottom row: Mechanist, Specter, Untamed.

The base game storyline starts off good (the level 1 to 30 story depends upon which race you pick. Sylvari story is boring but Charr one was engaging for me). The first two seasons are meh and you get saddled with an overall lackluster new cast of characters, also the player character is unvoiced during these two seasons and I didn't realize how much I missed my character's voice until it was gone. Story picks back up again with HoT, as you get more exciting adventure, the more entertaining base game characters are back, and the player character is voiced again, and the story now has a trajectory to follow (fighting the Elder Dragons and guarding the egg). The story continues to be fun as every 2 hours you get to visit a brand new high fantasy location and play through setpieces, some of which were cool. The story climaxes with season 4, which was written to be a soft ending for GW2 as the future of the game's development was in doubt. Then the game got greenlit for a continuation in Icebrood Saga, but then trouble happened behind the scenes that led to layoffs and IBS being aborted. By this point most of the original leads and writers were gone. End of Dragons concluded the story but it feels very disconnected with the rest of the game and does not feel like the resolution the original writers had envisioned, and overall feels inferior to the season 4 finale. Also, my minute-to-minute enjoyment of the story plummeted as you spend more time standing around listening to unlikeable, narcissistic NPCs talk about their feelings rather than running away from boulders or fighting eldritch dragons.

The player character is voice acted during the story, which really adds a lot and helps get you more into the moment. The quality of your voice actor depends upon your race/gender combo. I main male Charr, so we had Ron Yuan at the start and he was fantastic. Then he replaced by Lex Lang in season 3, who started off rough but I began warming up to him and now he's great too, though I think I slightly preferred Ron Yuan's edge. I've played a little bit of the story as a male Asura and he sounds good too, not a grizzled badass like the male Charr but does still feel heroic and confident. I don't know about the other race/gender voices.

Soundtrack quality is overall... fine? I just relistened to the entire GW2 discography outside of the game a couple weeks back. The highlight is definitely the base game's music by Jeremy Soule and his brother Julian Soule. The music after is by a variety of musicians (mainly MacClaine Diemer), and while their hit rate is lower than Soule's, you still get some bangers now and then. Hearing Minions of Kralkatorik while descending upon him during his meta event or Parabellum in EoD got me pumped.

Overall it's a good fantasy adventure game. For $200 ($100 to buy all of the content and then an additional $100 to buy some QoL features and nice skins for your two main mounts), I definitely got more than my money's worth and quite enjoyed the PvE adventure. It's just that once you finally beat the story, there isn't much reason to stick around and keep playing it. There is 5v5 SPvP and WvW zerg PvP, but those game modes have been neglected for many years and their playerbases have dwindled. I haven't played the new mini-expansion yet since I was a little dispirited by how lackluster EoD was compared to prior expansions but I still intend to eventually get around to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom