Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial The Brainy Gamer studies Fallout 3: Will it be 'Fallout'?

Noddy

Augur
Imoen Incest Mod

That is why i check these forums. Thanks.

roshan

Arcane
Re: The Brainy Gamer studies Fallout 3: Will it be 'Fallout'

Cynicus said:
Matt7895 said:
I think that's probably the main reason. The cow is seen as holy in India.

There's also the whole thing about a nuclear holocaust that the Indians get a bit jittery over.

Both of those things may have contributed to the decision to pull the game, but the main reason is likely because Brahmin are a revered caste of priests in India. Calling an animal, sacred or not, by the same name probably twisted some panties.

I doubt anyone in India was actually offended by it. Its probably just another retarded idea by someone in their marketing department. It seems that with all the fuss Muslims are regularly creating regarding media references to Muhammad, companies are becoming increasingly scared of stepping on the toes of any religious group.

Drakron

Arcane
szoreny said:
weird. is he mistaking KOTOR for handjob?

He?

The quote is from a women, you could even know it was from a female because it reeks of fangirl.

MisterStone

Arcane
On the one hand, it's nice that some youngsters learned to appreciate FO I. On the other hand, they would have never stuck with it long enough if they hadn't been forced to (at the risk of getting a shit grade in the class). It's almost like when your AP English teacher forces you to read All the King's Men in high school or something... no one wants to read it at first, and only appreciate it after being forced to stick with it at gunpoint.

In mmmmmyyyyy daaaaay we didn't have 3d cards or fancy graphics. If I got my hand on a game like Fallout, it was like a gift from Jesus Christ himself!

MetalCraze

Arcane
One of the comments.

CRPG's have been my bread and butter since I started gaming. My first was Diablo, and the same guy who shared that with me gave me my first copy of Fallout. At the time I believe I was in 7th grade, and I got right into the game without difficulty, I do believe I may have read the manual a bit, but not entirely, before playing. It really strikes me that so many people have found this game difficult to understand and play, and I believe that one of the main reason this is is due to the fact the gaming industry has babied them.

So yeah humanity doesn't get dumber.
But

I've read just about every interview / preview / review of the game I can find and it sounds like Bethesda takes this game just as seriously as the fans of 1 & 2. They are not setting out to rape the license; they really want to make a game that continues the mythology of the Fallout world.

:shock:

Longshanks

Augur
His mistake was not in reading the interviews/previews/reviews, it was to swallow their unsubstantiated claims without critical thought. Every English-language preview proudly states that Fallout 3 is a true sequel and retains the spirit of the originals. Maybe it's easiest just to take that at face value, rather than coming to your own conclusions.

MisterStone said:
On the one hand, it's nice that some youngsters learned to appreciate FO I. On the other hand, they would have never stuck with it long enough if they hadn't been forced to (at the risk of getting a shit grade in the class).

Excuse me? For what reasons would I want to pick up a game other than personal interest?! As if Fallout's age wouldn't make it a more rather obscure pick as is.

Chefe said:
I was 12 years old and spent a lot of time in front of my computer when I first played Fallout.

Fixed.

(I admit I used to jump right into games without reading anything... but that was before I hit puberty).

As if the desire to jump right into the thick of it had something to do with age - and as if age had anything to do reason. And as if intelligence had anything to do with being able to play a bloody video game - give me a break, guys.

There's a lot that can be said about games and manuals. For a start it's rather easy to make a game more complicated (more numbers, more boxes to tick and keep 'em coming), it's another to add more depth to it entirelly. By the way, I LOVE manuals. Preferably those that don't just go on and on about game mechanics that explain themselves. I've always been a fan of extra pieces that tie in with the game's fiction. Newspaper bits, short stories, traveller's guides. Those were rare back then already. But recently I was surprised to find out that even the budget release of Rockstar's San Andreas ships with that lovely San Andreas guide. Thumbs up for them.

ushdugery

Scholar
Back when I was 12 playing the demo for fallout (and not knowing how long I would have to wait for the game to come out.) the mechanics of the game were what drew me and it seemed like the ideal system to me even if it was just a tiny slice of it I saw how much more it could be the manual was just fun to read on the car ride home after buying the game 6 months later. Reading that article kinda brought those memories back for me good times.

Murk

Arcane
while the manual for fallout was very well done and worth reading as more than just a "how to play the game" - you don't need it. i didn't read it the first time i played it, and i figured things out just fine. that was the glory of fallout's fairly intuitive character creation system.

the fact those idiots couldn't figure out how to play the game isn't telling of them being too lazy to read the manual, it is telling of them being idiots.

DraQ

Arcane
First time I played Fallout, I bounced off. No wonder - I was just a kid with 0 skill points in English then.

Second time, when my English was adequate, I jumped right in without any need for manual.
I still haven't read it (I have two copies of each FO, but neither has physical booklet and .pdf are bleh), but, if it's as superbly written as you guys claim, I definitely need to.

Pliskin

Arbiter
elander_ said:
It's amazing that people recognize the merits of Fallout as a very creative setting but don't recognize the method, that come from the core PnP role-playing that was responsible to unleash that creativity while the games industry fights with lack of it.

Also having to read a manual to play a game is now considered inaccessible.

Exactly what I was thinking: His "students" could have saved themselves all that angst-ridden flailing about by heeding the classic acronym RTFM. Not to mention, the Vault Dweller's Survival Guide was one of the funnier, more atmospheric aspects of "Fallout" in the first place.

Commercials to the contrary, that Hooked On Phonics shit doesn't apply to every situation. Arr Tee Eff Emm, kiddies!

It's not just that the player is thrust into a hostile world without having been taught how to fight, heal or communicate with others - the player is forced to define their game experience from the get-go by personalising their character, with little understanding of what each attribute means, or what the implications of deciding you'll play through by "kill[ing] some things and level[ling] up" are.

In that sense, the experience of being thrust out of the vault is complete, as the player doesn't just start with no information. The player starts with no information, and the niggling suspicion that they are responsible for having made their survival impossible.

Posted by: Spencer Greenwood | October 21, 2008 at 08:50 PM

This bothered me for the same reason as KevinV1200.

A) You can click on the various attributes/stats on the character sheet and get a nifty Vault-boy picture with description of what they are (you know...like those Monopoly cards). I thought the UI for Fallout was well done (ignoring the Inventory).

B) OMG! I have to think for myself! No comrade green arrow!

Re: Lezzifoere

If there ain't a pic of her holding a handwritten sign saying "RPGCodex is 4 fags" she ain't a woman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom