Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon - first-person open world RPG adaptation of Kickstarted board game - now on Early Access

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
It's coming out... in early-access.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Announcing closed Alpha tests for Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon
4c845e740dae510a746b27f1943539cb7e2288c2.png

Hello adventurers,

We have exciting news for you today. We decided to run an exclusive early access test and you may be one of the players who get the opportunity to check the game out before everyone else!

As Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon nears its early access launch, we’d love to show some of the players what the game offers. This is not only a chance for you to be the first to set foot on the island of Avalon, but also a prime chance for us to gather valuable feedback.
We would be really extremely grateful for your help!

Please note that this version, while offering a significant amount of content, will be far from its final polish. For example:

• The voice-over will not be present for the majority of NPCs.
  • The balance will be inconsistent.
  • The visuals will lack some polish.
  • There will be bugs, some possibly game breaking, scattered throughout the game.
  • Some quests may be broken or missing.
  • Some systems may not function correctly, such as crafting.
Okay, now that all the negatives are out of the way, check out some of the exciting things we are preparing! Take a look at the world of Avalon!

337c253d83cb181cb81d2b4e7f5861942fa49229.gif

5793337e7fa99f066f0f09135ee0b031aae9d0a7.gif

100 players will be selected based on a simple survey[forms.gle] (link provided below) and will be given access to the game. After experiencing Fall of Avalon, we will then ask you to fill out another survey to gather information on your enjoyment and technical aspects of the game. Using this feedback, we will strive to improve the game even further before its early access launch.

To apply for participation in the testing, please complete the questionnaire linked below. As this is an exclusive opportunity for pre-launch access, you must also agree to withhold any information about the game by signing a simple non-disclosure agreement. This is crucial to us, as we do not want any information about the game to be leaked prior to its launch. We want everyone to have an enjoyable journey without being spoiled beforehand.

https://forms.gle/RLCgmBBaRPcmJyfF7

Those of you who get selected will be contacted by email, so be sure to leave your actual address in the form (no other emails will be sent, marketing or otherwise).

Not to leave you empty-handed at the end, here’s a look at some of the views straight from the game:

3f77ee52af50f8e6883e8a8187f95639f4f55988.gif

2269792f6e8f75407a2ae8514bde7b5aea7d89f5.gif

6b289ab4657fd6f686818b5fea7dc5ba1a30a377.gif

87a284fbd6ff1e6d4d263847ad0f0bd0ee26e55c.gif

6e1c110603971c7b43e56b75d77a3bc3359ab7ba.gif

44ad93b34d379603a2452c1568d36c2f0e86750b.png

51c03f64fc4ba19622d0a0726db2f3f8534f3cc5.png

b1c5f9fafcf9ff327d68b40b64061523ec0ed97b.png

b4c639b96c084b7a7d53c4c0995ba9308c72a141.png

We CANNOT wait to invite you to discover the entirety of Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon and hear your feedback!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
What are the chances of this not being shit?

You can usually answer this by finding out who's making this, and what they made before.

Making a great game your first time is not unheard of, but rare in the extreme.

The devs behind this are the same ones that made Tainted Grail: Conquest, which is a different genre (roguelike deckbuilder).

It has pretty good reviews.

Man, who are these guys? They released five games since 2021. Questline is making the Tainted Grail games.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Looks good,better than the rando generation card game for sure. Nice touches in the prologue too. Reminds me of enderal

JDR13

Arcane
Just finished the demo. It's very average. The setting and lore are interesting, but the visuals are subpar, and the combat feels pretty janky.

It's no Monomyth that's for sure.

norolim

Arcane
It's been released in Early Access.

Adventure begins now! Early Access is live!
Join us in this update to learn more about our approach to Early Access!

49c87c98375be994e96a1de76e9fd134ae74d64a.jpg

Adventure begins now! Early Access is live!

Join us in this update to learn more about our approach to Early Access and learn how we plan to work with our community to create an incredible open world adventure together!

Hello adventurers!

We have officially launched Early Access, and we couldn't be more excited (and stressed :D)! Although the game’s still far from complete, we have a full first part of the adventure ready for you to explore, and we hope you'll have a lot of fun doing so!

First, let's watch the release trailer!

Now, let's discuss a few things about Early Access in general, how we approach it, and what we're striving for:

This will not be a AAA game.
It's essential to mention this. We are a small indie team with big ambitions in terms of gameplay, story, and general fun-factor, but we are not striving for AAA quality, especially in terms of visuals. Please keep that in mind!

Bugs, problems, balance issues.
Although we've done our best to prepare for Early Access, due to the scope of the game, we're sure you will encounter some bugs and problems. Our team is on standby, so you can expect fixes coming quickly if anything critical appears.

We also recommend saving manually from time to time – and backing up your saves – during your adventures.

Early Access - saves.
The most important thing to note is that if you want to participate in the Early Access adventure, you need to be prepared for the possibility that your saves may be lost at some point with a major patch.

Chapter 1: Horns of the South
In this stage of Early Access you will have a special, smaller price and access to first part of the game - Horns of the South. There is around 10-15 hours of content there!
More will be coming with big patches and will be added for free to the game!

How will we work with the community and update the game?
There are several ways in which we’ll gather feedback from you, most notably:

We will closely monitor comments here on Steam.
You can chat with us on our Discord server.
We will ask for feedback/opinions on specific things via updates.

In the future, we will also add detailed in-game statistics that will help balance out the game.

In general, you can expect us to read almost everything, but we may not always be able to respond due to being a small team with a lot to do.

But we will try our best!

In our previous Early Access, Tainted Grail: Conquest, we were able to work really close with community to create a great experience and we hope to do even better here!

In terms of adding patches and content, here is our base idea:
Small bug-fixing/balance patches - We'll add these to the game as needed, without any specific timeline.

Small content additions - From time to time, we may add small (not too complicated) content additions to the game. This can include things like more character customization options, some extra art assets, or items for the game.

BIG content patches - The most important way for us to progress the game will be through significant content patches, which will happen in estimated three to six month periods. You can expect significant quality of life improvements and extra large amounts of content that push the story forward.

Language support - We plan on translating to other languages, but we want to reach the 1.0 version of the game first - that is, complete all the content and then move through the translation process.

With that out of the way, we invite you all to join The Fall of Avalon! Tons of amazing adventures await you!

39e6fb4dc96f5a0218b246f6c264cada1fe2b12a.jpg

6600c3abed3716f2bc605847612faeb5d25242ec.png

6b1161e03541ecdc0976abb610ae5002e5fc4aed.jpg

21465d92e2008578bf852183e819e8bc4ade44aa.jpg

3d4da3644758ddafc23a791cfac4c0d83b05a50c.png

dd35fdb9b7e68cadb5ec584f219613c3f8c1bd77.jpg

838dd03bd6c9440af0ab5f5f6d1d99eb3c83ef7b.jpg

12873bbe4e6f6cb3fa72257396dd61913d12e89c.png

968d70c6883946da9e684de6384df90bd3515b1c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Tainted Grail: Conquest was the surprise gem of whatever year that came out.

Is this more elder-scrolls or more of a pure dungeon crawler?

norolim

Arcane
Tainted Grail: Conquest was the surprise gem of whatever year that came out.

Is this more elder-scrolls or more of a pure dungeon crawler?
Looks like Elder Scrolls. I'm hoping it'll be more Morrowind than Skyrim. Installing now, will report if any good.

Turn_BASED

Educated
I watched some gameplay on this today, hitboxes look good in melee. Video below at timestamp 46:00:

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
The demo had lying, persuasion and intimidation as proficiencies (Tainted grail equivalent to skills, skills in tainted grail are basically passive abilities/perks).

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
My impression of the demo is that it is heavily elder scrolls inspired and reminds me of Oblivion total conversions. Hopefully the devs have enough sense to avoid oblivion's most obvious flaws. The melee combat is very mediocre (much like oblivion's was) with very limited attack options. Stealth archery is def not a thing because I shot a guy in the head from stealth with a bow and arrow and he took like 20% damage. Archery is basically useless, like it was in Oblivion (unless you did stay at level 1 cheese). Thankfully it is just the demo and I hope the devs make a good game because I'd love to play a decent elder scrolls clone. Hardly anyone makes these.

norolim

Arcane
I tested it for a couple of hours yesterday. I didn't play Skyrim, but based on gameplay videos, I'd say this looks like a Skyrim clone - even the lockpicking mini-game is exactly like in TESV. In terms of gamapley, however, I think it's a bit more sophisticated. Here is a short write-up. Oh and go ahead, laugh at my 5:4 display ratio... Ackchyoolly, fuck off, I need it for work.

:kingcomrade:

Unfortunately, because of my display ratio, you'll notice numerous bugs, esp. in the various menu screens - the devs clearly did not optimise the game for 5:4.

Character progression seems to be modelled on Morrowind more than Skyrim. You manually distribute points between the main attributes at level-up and also unlock skills associated with those attributes. Each attribute has a separate skill tree with tiers locked until you meet attribute requirements.
ysLeW2e.png

1T1J3Zo.png

Additionally, there are Proficiencies which you improve through use. According to the in-game description they only have a "slight" effect on various gameplay elements. What's the point, then?
DjlCY7B.png

The inventory is much better than the vanilla Skyrim. Visually, I'd say it's Witcher 3 inspired. It works fine and there are 4 weapon loadouts, which you can switch between with shortcut keys.
rELKN0H.png

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to try as much gameplay, as I would like. My rig is a few years old, it lacks RAM and works on an HDD. Due to poor optimisation, 16 GB RAM and an SDD is a must, if you want to play this game in EA. In the Prologue the performance was OK, but it became nearly unplayable in the first open world location, even when I lowered all the settings to minimum. I was able to do some testing though.

Combat is a typical TES affair. It was a bit choppy for me, even in the prologue, but I can confirm the hitboxes are quite good. The action is rather slow, your opponents can visibly evade your attacks and will not hit you from a mile away. You can also dodge and parry their attempts. Magic works, like it does in Skyrim, I think.
9Q38ffl.png

There are currently mechanics for alchemy and cooking. You can also swim and dive, if you find a body of water that is big enough.
aiPmPDn.png

The game looks good, even on minimum settings. There are some nice effects, like moving cloud shadows, and puddles that appear after the rain. Animations and face models are much better than anything Bethesda has ever produced. The environments look good, as well. They set the tone well and there are some interesting ideas, like two titans endlessly powering an underground facility:
PY0am65.png

hbex8L8.png

I didn't play enough to rate the writing, but from what I experienced, it is not terrible. Dialogues usually give you several options and there are even some skill tests. Not sure whether real or fake at this point.
Y6QgT3A.png

So yeah, I think Tainted Grail has a potential to be a better, deeper more RPG Skyrim with a grim-dark tone and good writing. I'll leave you with some more pretty visuals:
J0MsxT8.png

cxkzXXE.png

lDf3KXy.png

tLHsHqB.png

RSHJf6J.png

a6m9PtZ.png

h6je73S.png

BtL9Arx.png

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I picked this up on a lark and it's ... I don't think I'd especially recommend it but it's enjoyable in its way so far. Just a couple hours in, I guess mostly I like it because of the novel setting and the sense of mystery ... I really have no idea what's coming next. One thing I do appreciate is there is at least a sense of freedom - almost immediately an NPC shows up, gives you a (small) lore dump, and tells you about the Big Quest to Kill the Big Monster and follow him ... and then immediately after that you're violently separated and left completely on your own so you have no choice but to explore randomly, which is great.

Gameplay is meh, combat is exactly what you'd expect and so far there's nothing to do but walk and kill (or avoid) things. There's no feeling (yet) of "making a build" as all the level ups so far have been things like "+1% damage with one-handed weapons", but my character's only like level 4 so maybe it gets better later.

Also the game space feels vast at first but I realized that my "random exploration" eventually funneled me in a single direction which is a disappointment. Still curious to see where it goes.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This is depressing. We will never get another Gothic or Arx Fatalis.

Jinn

Arcane
Gameplay is meh, combat is exactly what you'd expect and so far there's nothing to do but walk and kill (or avoid) things. There's no feeling (yet) of "making a build" as all the level ups so far have been things like "+1% damage with one-handed weapons", but my character's only like level 4 so maybe it gets better later.

When I played the demo, this was the impression I got too. I felt they could overcome their technical shortcomings by implementing hardline and impactful progression, or just overall unique RPG systems. What I witnessed felt so limp and ineffectual. Don't know how they could save it without a major overhaul, honestly. Please let us know if it improves later.

Liked the setting and atmosphere a lot. If they nail meaningful exploration I'd consider giving it a go despite the ostensibly very mediocre character progression.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1466060/view/5368909498008162621

Here is a list of major changes!

• 4 new language editions: German, French, Chinese Simplified / Traditional (not available in the Beta, only at release)
  • Fully redesigned and improved environment

d3d41bfc9702778dbef33485e9adf65c8f3f0276.png

037b1e791e89e9fce5f15f1389e33e2ed9bf51c1.png

d63a8947c688195ba6968fd4ec52773bf5246d06.png
  • Every single dungeon redesigned to accommodate more playstyles
  • Strongly increased performance all over the board
  • Dual wielding (weapons, magic etc.)

06804799402f3c72c04ea733a196c897e32aa181.png
  • New viable playstyles (stealth, defensive etc.)
  • Improved enemy AI
  • Improved combat FX and visuals
  • Improved all combat animations
  • New quests and NPC

c845778b4628d0490a25f06de880e30815dcbe3b.png

58d851550745715f363eb3771dedb1740e020f67.png
  • Total rebalance and introduction of new skills, items
  • First iteration of theft system
  • New spells and magic visual upgrades

a3b457ce6469a4c8713a08ee864a7c9e2bda803a.png

7dac47b8cee2cc733f137c87065c465ea8fcfbb9.png
  • Improved crafting, alchemy and cooking systems

b6fe58ac6bf3227a9d2d0270a37b64e6f60c8721.png
  • Added Fishing system

5dccbc8f72475eec287e000dd9f8f4e804143337.png
  • New music, including collaboration with Danheim

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Interesting they seem to realize that "walk forward clicking on things" gets old fast. Cool that dungeons have been overhauled for multiple routes, they made a point to emphasize every single dungeon has been revamped. That said I completely forgot this game existed after those first 2 hours playing it back in April.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
edit : only now realized taht I played 0.5 not 0.6

Played a bit. IDK if the spell was added with the update or not but Icicle blast is amazing. A "frost fireball" with amazing AoE damage. My char. I really liked the game. About the performance improvement, the game still runs like shit and I had to lower the graphics a lot.

DT7hIhp.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom