Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware System Shock 3 by OtherSide Entertainment - taken over by Tencent!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well, I guess my speculation was right. Tencent also has rights to make System Shock 4... and possibly even more. https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ys-its-now-up-to-tencent-if-sequels-get-made/

System Shock’s owner says it’s now up to Tencent if sequels get made​

NIGHTDIVE CLARIFIES THE STATUS OF SYSTEM SHOCK 3, STATING THAT THE RIGHTS WERE SOLD

Nightdive Studios, the owner of the System Shock IP, has clarified the status of the long-missing-in-action System Shock 3, claiming that it’s now up to Tencent if the sequel gets made.

System Shock 3 had spent several years in development at Austin, Texas-based Otherside Entertainment – the studio helmed by original SS developers Paul Neurath and Warren Spector – before disappearing from the public arena completely in 2020.

Eventually, a statement was published on Otherside’s website claiming that Tencent would be “taking the System Shock franchise forward”.

However, there has been no clarification in the two years since on what exactly this means for the future of Otherside’s game, despite an analysis of LinkedIn suggesting that virtually all of System Shock’s development team has long since left.

Speaking to VGC at Gamescom, Nightdive CEO Stephen Kick claimed that the rights to the third game, which it had originally granted to Otherside, had subsequently been sold on to the Chinese conglomerate.

It’s now up to Tencent whether a third game gets made, he told VGC.

“When we originally acquired the rights to the franchise, we licensed the rights for the third game to Warren and Paul [Neurath] at Otherside. They then subsequently sold their rights to Tencent,” he explained.

“So Tencent currently has the rights to the third game, and we have the rights to do the remake of the first game and potentially a remake of the second game. That’s pretty much where it stands right now.”

Kick clarified that it’s currently down to Tencent if the third game gets made at all, and claimed he did not know if either Spector or Neurath were involved in such a project. “I honestly don’t know. I know Paul and Warren are still making games, but that’s as much as I know right now.”

Tencent could also make additional System Shock sequels in the future if were to develop the third game and decide to continue, he said. “I think they technically could do 4 and 5 as well, but they’d have to do 3 first. So, we’ll see.”

Nightdive is currently developing it’s long-coming System Shock remake, which has been in development since 2016 and still has no release date. The game was, however, playable at Gamescom this week.

According to CEO and game director Kick, both Warren Spector and Paul Neurath have been providing regular feedback on the remake, so both men are involved in the franchise in that capacity.

“They’ve been wonderful,” he said. “We’ve been providing builds to them periodically and getting their feedback, and they’ve been giving us a lot. This was their baby, and it’s been entrusted to us. We’re just lucky to have them as a sounding board to let us know when maybe we’ve gone too far or maybe not far enough. We’ve definitely been applying that feedback.”

Despite uncertainly around Tencent’s ownership of the sequel rights, Kick said there are “definitely” plans for more System Shock from Nightdive, “whether that be a remake of the second game or some cross-media stuff” such as a planned live-action series from streaming platform Binge.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What sort of deal did they have with Otherside to give all that power to Tencent? Did they just gift them the IP or something?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
What sort of deal did they have with Otherside to give all that power to Tencent? Did they just gift them the IP or something?
Technically no, but it sounds like it's such a generous license that they might as well have. I guess if Tencent announced that they were not making System Shock 3 then the rights might revert back to NDS, but why would they ever do that.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd rather take my chances with Tencent than the hipsters at N00bdive, who have already proven themselves to be perfectly incapable of making a decent System Shock game, even if it's just a paint-by-numbers remake.

ciox

Liturgist
So he wrestled to get the rights from https://shodan.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Insurance_Company which was somewhat difficult and took some much money, all in order to make a polarizing remake and give the rights to Tencent, which will presumably not give up the rights to someone else without a lot more effort and money, given they are a huge company that actually does game development, unlike Star Insurance Company.

Good shit.

Modron

Arcane
Not that I condone piracy, but Tencent's ACE drm warrants it. Would give money to scum like Nacon or Zenimax before I would ever purchase a Tencent published game.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Paul Neurath and Warren Spector sold their baby to Chinese sweatshop development?
Uncle Kick doesn't know if they are still involved in its life even though he's getting their feedback on raising his own version?
A version that will probably be old enough to vote before it's let out of the Womb Room?

Imagine the reaction if anyone went back in time to tell themselves any of this shit was going to happen.

Technically no, but it sounds like it's such a generous license that they might as well have. I guess if Tencent announced that they were not making System Shock 3 then the rights might revert back to NDS, but why would they ever do that.

It sounds like OSE are using the proceeds to develop "Thick as Thieves" with talent that suggests the amount for selling babies wasn't inconsequential. Who needs EA to be scummy anymore when the devs are doing just fine without any publishers between us? I mean, OSE's Dynamic Duo already shit in the hands of the Underworld fans and then dropped an impressive load for System Shock fans. Sucks for any actual talent that remained around those two as they ensured that OSE couldn't have gone to crowdfunding again.

Especially not after this class act. Next up: Thief gets the spiritual sheissening! :-D

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Paul Neurath and Warren Spector sold their baby to Chinese sweatshop development?
Uncle Kick doesn't know if they are still involved in its life even though he's getting their feedback on raising his own version?
A version that will probably be old enough to vote before it's let out of the Womb Room?

Imagine the reaction if anyone went back in time to tell themselves any of this shit was going to happen.
Shit is heinous. Fucking fuck everyone who allowed this to happen.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Business (Mis)Adventures of Wacky Boomer Jew & Clueless Boomer Anglo*

*World renowned duo, bringing cultural decline, bombs, nigger rape and shitty remakes of ones good games/movies. You gotta love them!

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Hot. Would romance
maxresdefault.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
As a System Shock fan I'm all for their never being another System Shock game. It'd more likely be lousy than not.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
So we well not get System Shock 3. Wow. Intellectual property rights, they are one of most common reason why there is no new art.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
As a System Shock fan I'm all for their never being another System Shock game. It'd more likely be lousy than not.
It should be like the Terminator franchise which ended at 2 and it remains a perfect franchise forever.

Last edited:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nobody has stopped an enterprising new band of designers from making a game about a bigass space station taken over by a murderous AI. It is the most bland, most generic sort of idea out there. The one missing thing would be the brand. And having the brand, or even generous dev money, could never replace talent and drive.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Nobody has stopped an enterprising new band of designers from making a game about a bigass space station taken over by a murderous AI. It is the most bland, most generic sort of idea out there. The one missing thing would be the brand. And having the brand, or even generous dev money, could never replace talent and drive.
THIS! There are 100.000.000+ white males in Western World. White redpilled males who are between 18-60 years old, who don't hate themselves and hate GloboHomo culture that hates them. Funny that none of them have willpower, drive, time or knowledge to make their entertaintment and culture. Instead let's endlessly bitch and laugh at our crumbling world. Say for SJWs whatever you want but they are fighting, other side is just being beaten and humiliated while waiting. Waiting for what exactly? Adult in the room in the form of government to step in and say enough? Empathy to wake up in the Woke? Gandalf to come riding with Riders of Rohan? Cavalry ain't coming. Fight is only option. Learn to code, make based New Arcanum*

*Call it: Railroads & Dragons (Railroad to Dragon's Lair)

ciox

Liturgist
THIS! There are 100.000.000+ white males in Western World. White redpilled males who are between 18-60 years old, who don't hate themselves and hate GloboHomo culture that hates them. Funny that none of them have willpower, drive, time or knowledge to make their entertaintment and culture. Instead let's endlessly bitch and laugh at our crumbling world. Say for SJWs whatever you want but they are fighting, other side is just being beaten and humiliated while waiting. Waiting for what exactly? Adult in the room in the form of government to step in and say enough? Empathy to wake up in the Woke? Gandalf to come riding with Riders of Rohan? Cavalry ain't coming. Fight is only option. Learn to code, make based New Arcanum*

*Call it: Railroads & Dragons (Railroad to Dragon's Lair)
1. These things take time.

2. A key part of starting to "make your entertainment and culture" is to rub elbows and kiss ass with the dominant mainstream community of creatives and devs, this process will eventually turn you into one of them.

Wesp5

Arcane

You mean like "Prey"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom