Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stoneshard - open world roguelike RPG - now available on Early Access

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I figured I should at least see where the game is at before trying to refund it. It's fairly fun in terms of what they've got, they should seriously plunk in a MQ to completion and drop in chargen if they're going to, call it 1.0 and then if they want to keep developing features, do it as they will as free updates, or if they feel the game is complete as is, sell it as DLCs.

I got a decent enough deal on it before it's almost not worth refunding anyway, so I'll just wait it out or possibly mess around with what they've got more later.

If nothing else, it was good to review Steam's refund policy for these things and see what I have that could be eligible if I were so inclined.

Sweeper

Arcane
Welp, never been scammed before, but now I'll finally have a "how I got scammed" story for the youngins
Gather round now, ol' NotSweeper has a story for y'all. It was the summer of 2022, Vladimir Vladimirovich decided to launch his special military operation on them Ukrainian rascals that year, and one day I was feelin' mighty retarded...

mediocrepoet

Patron
Welp, never been scammed before, but now I'll finally have a "how I got scammed" story for the youngins
Gather round now, ol' NotSweeper has a story for y'all. It was the summer of 2022, Vladimir Vladimirovich decided to launch his special military operation on them Ukrainian rascals that year, and one day I was feelin' mighty retarded...
Could be worse. You could've Kickstarted Mechajammer, or one of Hobgob's projects, or Arcadian Atlas.

Or all of the aforementioned.

:negative:

Sweeper

Arcane
Stoneshard was the only EA title I ever bought, and you better believe it's gonna be the last.
Damn shame too, could have been a great game.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Stoneshard was the only EA title I ever bought, and you better believe it's gonna be the last.
Damn shame too, could have been a great game.

I think it still could be. Or at the least, I don't care enough about the price point I picked it up at to bother taking back my rolling the dice on the project. Those other games I mentioned though. Well, the ones that actually produced games... Oof.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I feel like I already experienced everything the game has to offer anyway. You go to a place, hope you don't get eaten by bears on the way, clean it out one enemy at a time and run back. The skill system isn't deep enough to warrant a closer look, nor is the current map interesting.

mediocrepoet

Patron
So, will this come out before or after Silksong?
What is Silksong?
Second biggest meme in gaming, after Scam Citizen.
Not even close. I mean, off the top of my head, Half Life 3...
That's an ancient meme at this point.

It's hilarious they released Alyx just to keep the meme going for another 30 years lol.

Being an elder meme doesn't mean it's not big. The fact that anyone remembers it still implies that it's enormous. ;)

flabbyjack

Arcane
I am really surprised at the level of hate this game is receiving, so I logged in just to set the record straight.

LYmFsah.jpeg

Stoneshard, even in its current early release incarnation, is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. The main complaints appear to be:
1) It doesn't have a complete main quest line
2) Infrequent content updates
However, it's more of a sandbox game and the basic gameplay loop is solid. I have about 105 hours logged in the game and re-install it every time there is a major content update, but we haven't had a major update in almost 2 years.

Take a look at this negative review from someone with 500 hours logged (https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198193977226/recommended/625960/)
The game is fantastic and the gameplay loop is enough to get a lot of players entranced into the game. The skills are great, the stats and weapons are balanced and the dungeon crawling is fun and engaging even though its a turn based game.

My biggest complaint is they need to add back in a more flexible save feature.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Patron
I am really surprised at the level of hate this game is receiving, so I logged in just to set the record straight.

Stoneshard, even in its current early release incarnation, is one of my favorite RPGs of all time. The main complaints appear to be:
1) It doesn't have a complete main quest line
2) Infrequent content updates
However, it's more of a sandbox game and the basic gameplay loop is solid. I have about 105 hours logged in the game and re-install it every time there is a major content update, but we haven't had a major update in almost 2 years.

Take a look at this negative review from someone with 500 hours logged (https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198193977226/recommended/625960/)
The game is fantastic and the gameplay loop is enough to get a lot of players entranced into the game. The skills are great, the stats and weapons are balanced and the dungeon crawling is fun and engaging even though its a turn based game.

My biggest complaint is they need to add back in a more flexible save feature.

This doesn't really surprise me. When I started tooling around with it, I was quickly reminded in what I saw in it to begin with that made me back it. It's a far cry from some of the actual dumpster fires I've pitched money at that I'd recover if I could.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This is really one of those situations where people are heated because there's a good game underneath all the drama and delays.

They need to finish it, and all those complaints will basically disappear. Easier said than done, of course.

Harthwain

Magister
This is really one of those situations where people are heated because there's a good game underneath all the drama and delays.

They need to finish it, and all those complaints will basically disappear. Easier said than done, of course.
Knowing how to manage your project is a skill. This is why I was so impressed by Battle Brothers' developers. These guys knew what was essential and what was "nice to have, but not so important right now".

Cogemesiter

Novice
I’ve been following this thread, and I’m wondering if perhaps ‘The Doors of Trithius’ is worth it vs Stoneshard even though both are early access, and as of now Stoneshard still looks like it has more content.

Perkel

Arcane

Yup game is definitely unique and fun. It just needs to be finished. That being said idk why crafting is in the game, game would be much better if they would just focus on dungeon delving etc.

Trash Player

Scholar
Knowing how to manage your project is a skill. This is why I was so impressed by Battle Brothers' developers. These guys knew what was essential and what was "nice to have, but not so important right now".
BB's dev basically got severe burnt out and had to push the game out of the door. They just had something that is solid enough to have an audience. Otherwise, they would have become another studio that overreached and lied forgotten. They are wiser than teams that fell prey to sunken cost fallacy and left the project in dev hell with unwanted drama to boot. But it is more like they took a sensible course after mismanagement and ended up being rewarded for it.

LizardWizard

Prophet
BB's dev basically got severe burnt out and had to push the game out of the door. They just had something that is solid enough to have an audience. Otherwise, they would have become another studio that overreached and lied forgotten. They are wiser than teams that fell prey to sunken cost fallacy and left the project in dev hell with unwanted drama to boot. But it is more like they took a sensible course after mismanagement and ended up being rewarded for it.

BB devs taking advantage of German subsidies if anything. It has nothing to do with what you're implying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom