Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The funny thing was, it wasn't initially my intention to get rid of the other races completely.

I wanted to reduce them to a small percentage, in order to give a more Star Trek-like feel. But Paradox was very lazy and didn't implement any percentages, or any way to match names with skin color either. So you ended up with absurd amounts of colored people, as well as white people with names like Umbongo Matombe or whatever. Because of this, I just deleted the nonwhite phenotypes entirely.

What they interpreted as "disturbing" racism was just me wanting a 90s sci fi experience.

Unwanted

Cologno

Unwanted

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
There were two of them, iirc. Mine was the one that got banned. The other guy persisted a while and a lot of news outlets thought he was me, but they banned him too eventually. Then someone did phenotype splitting mods which may have gotten banned too, I don't remember. They also shadowbanned some Space German mod.

Out of all the platforms I've been banned from for wrongthink, this was the most satisfying. My low-effort mod being banned turned into headlines. Trump being elected later that year was icing on the cake. What a time to be alive.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Should have done whites-only and blacks-only mods and released at the same time, as a social test.
People did that. IIRC, they left them up for a while and then banned them. Of course, nowadays, I'm sure only the white ones would get banned.

The one they left up was the mod that had all of them separated by a single mod. So you have to take space wakanda and space china along with your space Europe. Whatever you use in-game is up to you, but it wasn't a mod whose exclusive purpose was to let you play as whites.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Stellaris Machine Age dropped and
GNG1ijfbkAAJiYH

Hellion

Arcane
Is this expansion any good? It seems to have very positive rating on Steam, which has never happened for a Stellaris DLC as far as I can remember.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Is this expansion any good? It seems to have very positive rating on Steam, which has never happened for a Stellaris DLC as far as I can remember.
It's really good, I like pretty much all the new stuff and changes that I have observed. (in midgame now)

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Seems to have a lot of content, but the core concept was already in the game. Transcendent machine deity looks a little more interesting than the current machine endgame crisis.

Feels like the devs keep making expansions that expound on stuff we already have in the game. Meanwhile, things like leader mechanics are still barebones.

Whatever, I don't like to buy these things when they come out anyway.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I do find it repetitive and annoying having to pick leader traits every time they level up, especially since there can be quite a lot of them. It's additional micromanagement one has to deal with.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Is it still the same silliness of having like 5 leaders at most?
It wouldn't matter if it were 50. They're just cards with barely any stats. They only serve to give you modifiers.

It's serviceable, but if they're going to expand something, I'd much rather get more complex galactic politics and leader mechanics than assorted cyberpunk embellishments.

What I'd like is CK2 in space. What I get is a real-time GalCiv3 with more anomalies.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Those are traits, not real stats. Leaders aren't NPCs, they're effectively temporary modifiers you can place on your forces until they die.

Again, it works, but it's very shallow.

Mortmal

Arcane
I do find it repetitive and annoying having to pick leader traits every time they level up, especially since there can be quite a lot of them. It's additional micromanagement one has to deal with.
The big problem with Paradox games is their shitty DLC system, which gives you a pile of independent systems. You have modifiers you repeatedly have to push: the leader levels up, giving a big percentage improvement; then there's spending on the astral rift, another big percentage; then relic spending with retro engineering, and the council agenda to repeatedly push. Instead of having one big game with everything well integrated.

Unwanted

Cologno

Unwanted
More features that lead to degenerate Cookie Clicker gameplay

I personally can't wait for AI to develop further. Voice Acting aside from few cases is detrimental to RPGs and pretty much any non moviegame.
For voice yeah it'll be a great boon. VAs who actually give a shit and aren't phoning in their lines seem like getting rarer and rarer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom