Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
For voice yeah it'll be a great boon. VAs who actually give a shit and aren't phoning in their lines seem like getting rarer and rarer.
The worst are the ones that *do* care, but think they have the right to change lines.

I'd love to go back and restore bad localizations, or voice every dialog in a game like Baldur's Gate using AI facsimiles of the original actors.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The expansion seems decent, although I don't like the direction the game is going in as far as homogenization of different playstyles. I started a new game recently (before the expansion) as Void Dwellers, to find out they've reworked how habitats function significantly. Now, instead of building habitats wherever you like, there is a "main" habitat that is the actual planet equivalent, and a bunch of smaller habs that you spam around the star system. These smaller habs just buff the main hab to have more building slots and do nothing on their own. I don't like this change because it means you can't have multiple habs in a single system anymore. It also means the Void Dwellers start is much less unique than it used to be - it was the only origin where you started with multiple "planets" in a single system right from the start. Now, you just get the one, like all the other origins. Boring. AI empires also spam habitats just as much as they used to, filling every free system with them, except now the additional hab structures are also spammed, taking away all the resource deposits and applying them to the main hab for extra building slots, which is especially annoying if you don't want to use habs as your playstyle. Far from solving the habitat spam problem, it just made it significantly worse.

The new changes to machines are like this, as well. It used to be machine empires were one of two things - a hive mind or an ascended biological species. Hive mind robots you could start as, but synthetic ascension was something you had to work towards, however now can just play as synths right from the start with no need to earn it. Robots also had interesting advantages compared to biological pops, like ignoring planet habitability and immortal leaders. Now, robots have planet habitability too, albeit limited to the broader categories (dry, wet or frozen) instead of a specific one like "desert" or "alpine." Robot leaders will also die of old age unless you take the expensive "immortal" trait pick, once again taking away the uniqueness from robot empires and making them play more similarly to organics. You can also have spiritualist robots, which goes against one of the game's established limitations of spiritualists being anti-robot and especially anti-synthetics/cybernetics.

It's just a disappointing direction to see the game going in. It feels like the devs are getting bored with their own game and changing things just for the sake of it, or maybe it's new devs with different ideas throwing out the old stuff. I dunno. At least you can revert the version back to older editions, I guess.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I don't like the direction the game is going in as far as homogenization of different playstyles.
Been this way since they dumbed down the warp techs into a single system. It's also nearly impossible to have a unique playstyle in this game, since the technologies are random and mostly the same.

The real problem is that Stellaris is a multiplayer game. The developer always want to make sure that everyone gets the same portion of candy or there will be crying from the kids who didn't get enough.

Who actually plays multiplayer in this game I don't know though. The singleplayer is bad enough without people quitting halfway through.

thesecret1

Arcane
Habitat shit (and the garbage attempts at solvibg it) are all mere consequence of a core issue in Stellaris design which is the dogshit macro. You basically have to micro your planets unless you want the AI to ruin them with retarded building decisions, which quickly gets out of hand once you get a couple dozen of them (which is quite easy). Habitats just ramp that issue up to 11.

Mortmal

Arcane
Autobuild doesn't even use the new building types you get with each new origin. If it was bad before, consider it's even worse now. Anyway, I'm not using it. I'm fed up with seeing it build gene clinics and robot assembly on already overcrowded planets full of unemployment. Stellaris is a micro hell now.

Unwanted

Cologno

Unwanted
Ethics in business, like war, is lulzy and irrelevant. It's something you listen to, a lecture you tolerate while in the front of your mind you're really thinking "damn diversity hire they wrangled into blabbering about this looks worse than last year's, bubble but though".

Tyrr

Liturgist
I have listened to all the selectable adviser voices, most of them are bad. He should just be honest and say that AI is cheaper and better.
Also more flexible. You can make last minute changes or additions. With human VA, the voices often get recorded months in advance and the developer is forced to run with what they have.

Cogemesiter

Literate
Holy shit even with the Steam Sale going on this game plus the DLCs is still super expensive, even more expensive than getting all the Rimworld DLC. At this point I might as well just download 500 mods on Starsector to get a similar experience for free.

Autobuild doesn't even use the new building types you get with each new origin. If it was bad before, consider it's even worse now. Anyway, I'm not using it. I'm fed up with seeing it build gene clinics and robot assembly on already overcrowded planets full of unemployment. Stellaris is a micro hell now.
You can configure it to build or not build various things. I made a mod that adds a bunch of options to more effectively manage planets: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3162118092

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Holy shit even with the Steam Sale going on this game plus the DLCs is still super expensive, even more expensive than getting all the Rimworld DLC. At this point I might as well just download 500 mods on Starsector to get a similar experience for free.
If you take your base Stellaris with CREAM the price becomes reasonable.

Seethe

Arbiter
Ethics in business, like war, is lulzy and irrelevant. It's something you listen to, a lecture you tolerate while in the front of your mind you're really thinking "damn diversity hire they wrangled into blabbering about this looks worse than last year's, bubble but though".
Until you get fired because Indian workforce is cheaper and bigger. Then you wake up from your juvenile libertarian haze of idiocy and stop being only halfway retarded for caring about this sort of stuff until it affected you personally. Or, you continue to be a cuckold with no sense of self preservation, no self-interest and keep your shitty libertarian views that are thinly veiled by this sort of cringy fatalism.

He should just be honest and say that AI is cheaper and better.
Whoever thinks this is massively retarded, has hearing problems or worse, has autism and doesn't know how communication sounds like. It really feels like a mantra at this point, because you think it's really cool and repeating it over and over again makes it true.

More features that lead to degenerate Cookie Clicker gameplay

I personally can't wait for AI to develop further. Voice Acting aside from few cases is detrimental to RPGs and pretty much any non moviegame.

This is true. The problem is that if "AI" develops further, you'll hear "voice acting" in every single game. So, what is your end goal here?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom