Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Star Trek: Infinite - grand strategy published by Paradox

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
IMG_2628.png

ArchAngel

Arcane
So far I like it, it's Stellaris but Star Trek which is all I wanted it to be, and focused around my favorite Trek era. There's a few annoying bugs, like characters showing up as the wrong species (the Federation President T'Pragh is listed as "human" and the game seems to think Earth is the homeworld of Andorians) but nothing game breaking.
IGN review shit on the game a lot due to lots and lots of bad bugs game had in press preview version. It said there is an interesting 4x game somewhere under all the bugs.

vanilla stellaris is unbearably barebone. it *needs* alphamod do start having any resemblance of an interesting strategy game. but alphamod is dead, and stellaris is too.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Is that crap out already? I see a lot of people on Twitch tv to play this stuff.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
it's out. apparently buggy and plays like a mod. bad steam reviews, but you know some trekkies will lap it up anyway.

I'd wait for a sale.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
vanilla stellaris is unbearably barebone. it *needs* alphamod do start having any resemblance of an interesting strategy game. but alphamod is dead, and stellaris is too.

Stellaris with New Horizons is probably the best Star Trek game out there.

Including this.

a rather low bar. i tried one of its first iterations, and it was barely a reskin. is it worth to redownload the whole gigantic shit now?

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
a lot of character portraits for aliens are black skinned to the extent you wonder if there is an algoritm bias
This is how it was in vanilla Stellaris too. It's why I made my infamous mod that removed them.
wait that was you!. Yeah it annoyed me how the Commonwealth of Man had diversity but were supposed to be xenophobic and somewhat purist eugenicists. There was a genuine reason for your mod and it annoyed the hell out of me when it got banned. If I want diversity, it should be in an egalitarian/utilitarian/xenophile setting otherwise its just annoying because if I'm playing Space Nazis I want them to be horrible that's the entire point. Enforced diversity sucks, optional diversity is good. Otherwise you're hijacking my storytelling and that sucks for a game that is supposed to be a story telling sandbox like CK2/CK3 was. Always give your player options.

It's like Paradox has no fucking idea anymore the actual games they make, there's just Product A and Product B and Product C.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
wait that was you!
It was me and one other guy. His mod just replaced the black files with the white files. Mine altered the race file text, which meant you could have blacks if you still wanted them.

Paradox banned me and deleted the mod, so most press outlets just thought it was the other guy, who they left up for a while to seem fair and balanced. Which suits me fine, since I don't need too much attention on my Steam account anyway.

But yeah, I was the guy that did that. I've done other wrongthink mods too. Trolling multimillion dollar corpos is fun.

Just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass. :M

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A lot of people are bashing this one, but I think it is at least partly unfair.

The goal of this reskin game was to provide a more "streamlined" and "story-focused" experience in the Star Trek universe (Paradox' own words).
They aren't trying to compete with Stellaris gameplay- or depth-wise, let alone with the New Horizons mod.
Fair enough. Viewed through that lens, I don't think it is a bad game.

Very clearly aimed at trekkies who a) have an interest in strategy games b) don't know about/too dumb to install the New Horizons mod c) Stellaris is too complex for ( :lol: yeah, I know :lol:)
Again, fair enough.

However, what I don't know is what size of target audience they could get with that approach.
Is there even a fan of both Stellaris and Star Trek who doesn't know or care about the New Horizons mod?
Is there even a Stellaris player who thinks "ayayay, I wish this game was less complex"?

And, of course, simply by how this game looks and plays, the "reskin!" downvotes were all but guaranteed, even if it was better than the mod.

This whole affair is baffling to me, but very fascinating.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The goal of this reskin game was to provide a more "streamlined" and "story-focused" experience in the Star Trek universe (Paradox' own words).
It's not story-focused though. It's just Stellaris with a few ST events crammed in on certain years.
Is there even a Stellaris player who thinks "ayayay, I wish this game was less complexx"?
It's already too simplistic, yeah. And from what I've seen, this looks worse in that regard.
And, of course, simply by how this game looks and plays, the "reskin!" downvotes were all but guaranteed, even if it was better than the mod.
It's not about how it looks. It's about the lack of work to make it a better Trek game.

Using the same engine is fine. But keeping the same generic diplomacy system, when racial diplomacy is half of Star Trek?

Where are the new, more Star Trek-like game features? Shouldn't there be individual captains of "military" ships with career paths or something?

Nope. It really is just a reskin with dumbed down gameplay.

I don't get it. Why bother acquiring the license if all you're going to make is a mod?

Or maybe the license really is that cheap to get ahold of at this point.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not about how it looks. It's about the lack of work to make it a better Trek game.

Using the same engine is fine. But keeping the same generic diplomacy system, when racial diplomacy is half of Star Trek?
It's a bit more than that.
The entire UI - in such a game your main focus of interaction - is simply identical to Stellaris with a few color swaps and a few removed features.
If it was named Stellaris: Star Trek Edition or something like that, okay, but they are trying to sell it very independently of Stellaris (the word Stellaris doesn't even appear on the store page except inside reviews :lol: ).
That's just lazy, no matter how you look at it.

My bet is that the devs had an incredibly limited time to work on this and get it out of the door. In addition to the UI copy pasta, there's also the extremely limited faction selection as well as the very limited time span.

Usually, Paradox likes to milk their stuff for an eternity, but this very much gives the impression of a rushed out cash grab that was never really meant to amount to much more.

Trithne

Erudite
I understand that the they/thems are retarded but that's a perfectly legitimate sentence right there.

The text is presumably the same for all characters that it refers to, using their, which is the fallback for "person of undefined or unknown gender" in English, is normal here.

Don't be retarded just because some other retards are more retarded.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
The text is presumably the same for all characters that it refers to, using their, which is the fallback for "person of undefined or unknown gender" in English, is normal here.
Not exactly. A person of unidentified gender was usually referred to as male before danger hairs took over the education system.

And besides that: How hard would it have been to put something to identify the character's sex in the dialog? They're already identifying his name.

No, the reality is probably that tying his sex to a pronoun could "misgender" him. Sure, the real Dukat was a man, but how do you know Cardassain #1923 named Dukat because he's in the random name generator identifies as a man?

And I'm guessing that was the thought process behind the "neutral" pronoun - even though it's not a neutral pronoun, it's plural.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But this text refers to a person of known gender.

We already had dialog systems that could change pronouns with a simple character tag 30 years ago.
<Charname> is prepared to lay down <if male>his<else>her</if> life for our People.

It's this fucking simple, even I could do it, and I don't know anything about coding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom