Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Oblivion: 8.0
New Vegas: 8.3

:hmmm: I don't think we're looking at the same website.

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter
What if they added thirty hours of grinding and fetch quests, would that make the price fairer

you're from neogaf aren't you

:butthurt:

lol. why would i be butthurt because you're paying $60 for a 15hr rpg?

You are. Otherwise you wouldn't be spending time here complaining about it. Also 15 hours is decent for a comedy rpg if you consider pacing.

Bethesda games aren't automatically the highpoint of the gerne, because they are 10 times as long than let's say Fallout 1.

lol. Stating a fact about the game's length and calling out bullshit on the cost is being butthurt? Your response, "well uh if it was longer it wuld be bad durf furf." is such simplistic, worthless nonsense, it could only come from the mind of a neogaffer. and then you bring in fucking Bethesda, rofl.

Dieithrio

Educated
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So here in Euroland game unlocks still in two days or release is anticipated too?

Duraframe300

Arcane
What if they added thirty hours of grinding and fetch quests, would that make the price fairer

You are. Otherwise you wouldn't be spending time here complaining about it. Also 15 hours is decent for a comedy rpg if you consider pacing.

Bethesda games aren't automatically the highpoint of the gerne, because they are 10 times as long than let's say Fallout 1.

lol. Stating a fact about the game's length and calling out bullshit on the cost is being butthurt? Your response, "well uh if it was longer it wuld be bad durf furf." is such simplistic, worthless nonsense, it could only come from the mind of a neogaffer. and then you bring in fucking Bethesda, rofl.

Yeah, because I didn't say that (I would have prefered if the games was ~10 hours longer personally).

The point is equating length with worth of the game is equal amounts of bullshit, because you are completly disregarding quality.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
In what fucking world is fifteen hours acceptable length for an RPG?

This thread will be good for culling the herd.

anus_pounder

Arcane
So here in Euroland game unlocks still in two days or release is anticipated too?

12:40PM over here in the Ukwa and release date is 4th according to steam. If it really is today, I'd expect it to arrive around 7PM GMT if my last few preorders were any indication.

EDIT: Strangely, the release date info is from the 'coming soon' section of the main page. The game's page itself just has an option for pre-purchase with no release date or timer.

Duraframe300

Arcane

It's on the lower end of the scale obviously and short for an rpg, but if you want a serious answer I didn't choose the Fallout 1 example before for nothing. (Though that does offer more stuff for a completionist)

DeepOcean

Arcane
So most review sites are reporting the game to be 10-12 hours long, which means it's going from "D1P" to "wait for a sale" in my book (or buying through a Russian "friend"). Hate to be a lengthfag but I really can't justify paying full AAA price for a 10-hour game.
If the game had an incredible gameplay, the length wouldn't be a problem but as it is only a 10 hours South Park episode with light jRPG combat, I will pass until 75% off.

Eyeball

Arcane

It's an OK time for an RPG provided it uses the time well and delivers a good RPG experience. Not every RPG needs to be Morrowind.

Also, how the FUCK do you write a South Park story lasting 40+ hours? It is not humanly possible.

Honestly, fifteen hours would be fine if it offered a rich game experience. I'm getting the feeling that this game doesn't - simplistic mechanics and simplistic combat as a vehicle for a bunch of South Park jokes. I don't think I like South Park enough to throw down sixty bucks to hear Cartman make fun of gingers.

Duraframe300

Arcane
So most review sites are reporting the game to be 10-12 hours long, which means it's going from "D1P" to "wait for a sale" in my book (or buying through a Russian "friend"). Hate to be a lengthfag but I really can't justify paying full AAA price for a 10-hour game.
If the game had an incredible gameplay, the length wouldn't be a problem but as it is only a 10 hours South Park episode with light jRPG combat, I will pass until 75% off.

Suit yourself. It's hard to justify $60 for any game.

Honestly, fifteen hours would be fine if it offered a rich game experience. I'm getting the feeling that this game doesn't - simplistic mechanics and simplistic combat as a vehicle for a bunch of South Park jokes. I don't think I like South Park enough to throw down sixty bucks to hear Cartman make fun of gingers.
Would you rather pay 60 bucks to hear cartman make fun of gingers for 30 hours? :troll:

DeepOcean

Arcane

I would pay $60 for another Fallout, Torment, Bloodlines, Deus Ex and Thief 1 and 2 released nowdays.:smug:

Duraframe300

Arcane

I would pay $60 for another Fallout, Torment, Bloodlines, Deus Ex and Thief 1 and 2 released nowdays.:smug:

I'd too. Ofc, this is kinda apples and oranges in regards to South Park's goals.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was about 15-20 hours, and is clearly the inspiration to this game, so doesn't seem that off. If it's as good as SM RPG is the big question.

Athelas

Arcane
I doubt the Metacritic bonus agreement (if there is one, though they are apparently common) is exactly the same as New Vegas.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It's completely unfunny, it's very slow, the story is bad, the QTE scenes are rather irrelevant as the game moves on regardless if you succeed in doing what the QTE wants you to

Doesn't this guy know that this is what a good game is? It's almost like a movie.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars was about 15-20 hours, and is clearly the inspiration to this game, so doesn't seem that off. If it's as good as SM RPG is the big question.
That wasn't even a good game, if it had been sans the Mario license it'd be regarded as another throaway jRPG, which is what it is.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Six hours in, seems like a perfectly fine action RPG. Lots of side quests and collectibles, barely seen anything of the main quest so far. Never played anything with this many timed button presses before. Really easy even on hardcore. Not worth full price of course, but nothing is.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That wasn't even a good game, if it had been sans the Mario license it'd be regarded as another throaway jRPG, which is what it is.
It was a good game made great by clever use of the license, same thing that should happen here if Obsidian played their cards right.

Tribal Sarah

Arbiter

Yeah, because I didn't say that (I would have prefered if the games was ~10 hours longer personally).

The point is equating length with worth of the game is equal amounts of bullshit, because you are completly disregarding quality.

jesus, bringing quality into the equation isn't going to help your argument here. Still, if it will make the marketing department feel any better, I promise to pirate the thing after the 3 hr $40 dlc packs have been released

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Could you imagine them doing that with a Bethesda or Bioware game?
Yes they did that. It's actually quite common for Bethesda, or Bioware game. Or at least it was before these buggy messes that crossed the last line.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom